Looking for Aftermarket 1/72 decals … anybody make them ?

Corsairfoxfouruncle

Just having recieved a number of free models including an Italeri 1/72 AC-130A and 1/72 Hasegawa Shin Meiwa flying boat. Im curious if anyone makes aftermarket decals for either ? The decals in the Gunship kit are in goid condition but horribly off color and out of register. The Shin Meiwa is an Original 1970’s release and Im not sure the decals are trust-worthy ? 

10 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Just having recieved a number of free models including an Italeri 1/72 AC-130A and 1/72 Hasegawa Shin Meiwa flying boat. Im curious if anyone makes aftermarket decals for either ? The decals in the Gunship kit are in goid condition but horribly off color and out of register. The Shin Meiwa is an Original 1970’s release and Im not sure the decals are trust-worthy ? 

Could not find any for the Shin, had to get the scripts from someone who had already made them up for another party, I was luck there. Can you use decal fix on the originals?

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Julien said:

Could not find any for the Shin, had to get the scripts from someone who had already made them up for another party, I was luck there. Can you use decal fix on the originals?

For 50 year old decals they look surprisingly glossy & good. I will use decal fix if zero alternatives are available and test with the SS-2 option bits. As Im going for a standard patrol not Air-sea rescue. 

Have found with older ultra shiny Hasegawa kit decals that they can take an age to release from the backing paper , can be very thick and while they do seal with Klear there is sometimes some silvering as they set.

National markings and numerals might be available through generic sheets/spares box ,and while it will not help with all of the other markings you could perhaps scan the kit decal sheet and print on blank decal paper for the Japanese lettering etc. , have found that tweaking with the settings in Photoshop can change the blue backing paper colour to white for black subjects although that might not help much with coloured propellor warning and tail markings.

• Thanks 1

I was thinking along the same lines as Les, but if it a really old Hasegawa kit from the late sixties or early seventies, then the paper was 'white', by which I mean a creamy yellow by now. Yes, old Hasegawa decals can take for ever to release, they were never brilliant in the first place. 

• Thanks 1