1/350 Monitor HMS Roberts

Tegethoff

Hi, First post, recently I got into modelling (1 SMS Viribus Unitis so far). I decided to build Trumpeters 1/350 HMS Roberts - an Abercrombie type monitor with 1 2x15 inch gun turret. I've pre-painted the base of the hull (if this is the right phrase?) in black, then overlaid a red for the main hull. Now I've assembled the super structure to paint as one in camouflage then to add in the detail parts/ final PE parts that are probably too fragile to be handled frequently. It is a beautiful kit with the brass parts built in to the design so no having to scrape things off. only extra PE is brass barrels from a Hood upgrade set (I wanted elevated here)

52530761030_29a7329df9_b.jpg

52530568229_1830cb8066_b.jpg

• Like 12

10 hours ago, ArnoldAmbrose said:

Gidday, she's looking great so far.

Considering your name I was going to ask if you've done one of these? Obviously yes.      Regards, Jeff.

Thanks - The VU is another great kit, but as I started with it probably some things were not so good in execution. I have Szent Istvan to do after, and then (maybe?) another VU to be modded into Prinz Eugen (different command bridge structure vs SI and VU). I really need to find a better super glue applicator than a cocktail stick. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Faraway said:

I’ve often wondered about building one of these.

Should be an interesting follow, so far so good.

Jon

I've been really impressed so far very minimal gaps, and the brass being built into construction means it generally fits - the only bit that needed some work was the small Crow nest at the stern but that was my error.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Tegethoff said:

I really need to find a better super glue applicator than a cocktail stick. 

I use a pin, stick the head in an old Cork and use the point at the applicator, 

Can also use a needle but stuck point end into the Cork, 

Both then easy to clean off with a flame, 

Im gonna follow your build with  great intetrst, 

Sam

• Like 1

22 hours ago, S-boat 55 said:

I use a pin, stick the head in an old Cork and use the point at the applicator, 

Can also use a needle but stuck point end into the Cork, 

Both then easy to clean off with a flame, 

Im gonna follow your build with  great intetrst, 

Sam

Good idea I will have to open a bottle to get a cork 😄 Thanks. 

Slight update: after 3 thin layers of dark sea grau and many many many hours of taping (I think nearly 2x 18m rolls) it stands before a light grau coats and then a final blue coats and wooden colour on raised deck. then the small guns etc will be made from brass and fitted. With hindsight I'm not sure if it was easier to tape like this or to paint individually but too late now.  

52533980192_50a29ced47_b.jpg

52534991868_8ca55fe736_b.jpg

• Like 8

On 29/11/2022 at 13:47, Tegethoff said:

Thanks - The VU is another great kit, but as I started with it probably some things were not so good in execution. I have Szent Istvan to do after, and then (maybe?) another VU to be modded into Prinz Eugen (different command bridge structure vs SI and VU). I really need to find a better super glue applicator than a cocktail stick. 

Would love to see your Viribus Unitis, its on my to-do wish list but I've never seen one built up (apart from the one in the Heeresgeschichtliches Museum).

• Like 1

On 01/12/2022 at 23:58, TallBlondJohn said:

Would love to see your Viribus Unitis, its on my to-do wish list but I've never seen one built up (apart from the one in the Heeresgeschichtliches Museum).

As said it was first build and a lot to improve (ez-line for holding the smaller boats, better painting, metal guns etc etc):

52539026583_e195a6f5ca_b.jpg 52539022603_98609a0f62_b.jpg

• Like 12

On 30/11/2022 at 22:25, Tegethoff said:

With hindsight I'm not sure if it was easier to tape like this or to paint individually but too late now.  

I know a lot of maritime modellers do so it this way and put everything together - including PE - and then mask/spray.  Personally I've never managed to get on with that technique and just spray the hull/main superstructure then paint everything else off the model and add them ready painted.  The downside of that is that you do get areas where the CA discolours the base coat but I've always found a coupled of coast of varnish at the end brings it all back together.

Interesting model though.  I've always been fascinated by the concept of the monitors.

Edited by Chewbacca
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

I know a lot of maritime modellers do so it this way and put everything together - including PW - and then mask/spray.  Personally I've never managed to get on with that technique and just spray the hull/main superstructure then paint everything else off the model and add them ready painted.  The downside of that is that you do get areas where the CA discolours the base coat but I've always found a coupled of coast of varnish at the end brings it all back together.

Interesting model though.  I've always been fascinated by the concept of the monitors.

Thanks - just waiting to put the blue coats on now and will see how it looks. I was(am?) worried that the camouflage layering wouldn't show up so well if I did each part individually (not photographed yet is the small guns etc which have been done at the same time to get the same colour), but I imagine the risk is the paint has run a little. Time will tell 😬.

Monitors seem a very odd concept - the HMS Roberts is not quite as large as the VU but it is really quite close which I was surprised at. I'm not sure about the payload delivered but 12x305 guns must have a similar if not greater payload to 2x 380 (ignoring range)? As an aside it is quite a nice size to model - not as large as the true battleships but having a lot of detail. 

Edited by Tegethoff
Obvious error made
  • Like 1

Spray painting has been done. Better than I feared, worse than I had hoped - still a lot to learn. Lots of touching up to do, need to add wood colour to the upper most deck - and blowing the paint dust from the masking tapes off. Also visible are the parts to be added (painted separately to ease the masking. Taking off more and more tape is therapeutic, even if putting it on isn't. Then the brass/wire railings and final cranes that came with the kit before finally rigging. 

52547818555_5b2bdb4b30_b.jpg

52547644489_a689872fbe_b.jpg

Edited by Tegethoff
error in photo upload
  • Like 8

• 5 weeks later...
52609288134_d65f893679_b.jpg 52609449535_94d7548ab4_b.jpg

Update most PE done apart from forward crane(?) at very front, masts, rigging and a number of secondary cranes, which will be cut up to flatten for a firing type situation
Need to decide if I do the railings around the whole boat or just on the raised structures (the kit comes with railings for all decks). Then some final paint touching up (spot some splodged areas and the lifeboat)
Overall very impressed with kit but a couple of things are difficult:

1) the paint scheme doesn’t appear to flow well across the two sides - this should have been apparent before I started painting. 

2) the seats on the AA guns are almost impossible to place (they are brass). The instructions for the AA overall are not so good. 
3) I replaced the gun barrel of main gun with a hood brass replacement (the tip looked over sized)
The wealth of detail for a not so physically big kit is great and a gateway to PE it is really recommended. 

hopefully final update soon. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Tegethoff said:

Need to decide if I do the railings around the whole boat or just on the raised structures (the kit comes with railings for all decks).

Personally, I’d do all decks.

To do only the main decks, will highlight the lack of railings on the rest and visa versa.

I know it will be difficult, but the end result will be worth it.

Jon

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Faraway said:

To do only the main decks, will highlight the lack of railings on the rest and visa versa.

Jon

Thanks for the perspective - I probably will do so. I've painted them all already, but the curvature (?) is quite a challenge. I appreciate @S-boat 55's suggestion about the cork - it has made applying super glue much easier. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Faraway said:
8 hours ago, Tegethoff said:

Need to decide if I do the railings around the whole boat or just on the raised structures (the kit comes with railings for all decks).

Jon

Gidday, I don't do PE myself for a number of reasons but I agree with Jon above  - all or nothing. To do only some of the railings/guardrails may make the model look unfinished. My models are smaller so I think I can get away with not doing them but for a model of this size I think Jon is correct too in saying that it'll be worth it. 

Yeah, I know, easy for me to say. 😁       Best of luck with whatever you decide to do.       Regards, Jeff.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Tegethoff said:

but the curvature (?) is quite a challenge.

Try using your fingers to form curves, I press the railing between finger and thumb to form a gentle curve, that can be increased or reduced depending on how much pressure you apply.

Jon

• Like 1

I'd second Jon's suggestion, I've done the same for gentle curves on a  deck, 

For tight curves I use the shank of a drill bit and roll it over the part in question, harder you press the tighter the curve, beware you don't have to press hard at all, obviously larger/smaller the drill bit has an impact as well

• Like 4

21 hours ago, Zoran Srb said:

Thanks for sharing, both ships. I hope you'll keep up the good work....

Thank you! I'm still very impressed by your work and your techniques for ageing and making the models look realistic. Very impressive.

Progress is being made with the HMS Roberts, but I made the mistake of trying to paint the anchor-chains (Trumpeter supplied orange brass) and it got blocked with paint so have reordered the chain and a bit of a pause. Railings are now on the front but waiting until the chain can be glued down to do the safety boats and railings at the back.  then need to de-dust quite heavily!

Meanwhile the box of Szent Istvan is looking at me already! 

52627620890_190222ceca_b.jpg

• Like 3

On 06/01/2023 at 00:00, Tegethoff said:

Thanks for the perspective - I probably will do so. I've painted them all already, but the curvature (?) is quite a challenge. I appreciate @S-boat 55's suggestion about the cork - it has made applying super glue much easier. 

Small tip for applying super glue. Since glue slides of from metal needles, usually out of control, and toothpick soaks up super glue, what I found works best is, old, good stretched sprue.... With some practice, you'll be able to produce stretched sprue in various diameter, therefore easily control size of super glue drops, as needed... And it doesn't run off, as from metal... For me, much better, more controllable way of applying super glue.

And for handling very small etched bits, may I recommend you try a toothpick, with small blob of bees wax on tip... It has just enough sticking power to lift small parts, but not enough to pull parts, when glued.

I found that easiest way to do ships is in stages. For example, assemble, paint, weather (if you wish), hull, bridge, midship section, turrets, funnels, miscellaneous bits etc, as separate sections, then glue them all together. Its easier to handle them that way, and far less chance to knock small bits. Just be careful with the glue, and lightly spray joints with flat clear to hide any glue marks....

Try it, you'll love it. Hope that helps

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Zoran Srb said:

Small tip for applying super glue. Since glue slides of from metal needles, usually out of control, and toothpick soaks up super glue, what I found works best is, old, good stretched sprue.... With some practice, you'll be able to produce stretched sprue in various diameter, therefore easily control size of super glue drops, as needed... And it doesn't run off, as from metal... For me, much better, more controllable way of applying super glue.

And for handling very small etched bits, may I recommend you try a toothpick, with small blob of bees wax on tip... It has just enough sticking power to lift small parts, but not enough to pull parts, when glued.

I found that easiest way to do ships is in stages. For example, assemble, paint, weather (if you wish), hull, bridge, midship section, turrets, funnels, miscellaneous bits etc, as separate sections, then glue them all together. Its easier to handle them that way, and far less chance to knock small bits. Just be careful with the glue, and lightly spray joints with flat clear to hide any glue marks....

Try it, you'll love it. Hope that helps

Fantastic advice - thank you for sharing. For stretched sprue, you mean semi melted and lengthened sprue?

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Tegethoff said:

Fantastic advice - thank you for sharing. For stretched sprue, you mean semi melted and lengthened sprue?

Yes, and if my hunch is right...  Na otvorenom plamenu zagreješ spru dok ne počne da se savija, sačekaš par sekundi i onda razvlačiš.... Polako, da kontrolišeš debljinu...

• Thanks 1