Airfix Vulcan - the Old kit!

Sorry, not the superb new Airfix kit, but the much more affordable (and still OK) 1983 mould, dressed up to represent XM597 during Black Buck 5, the first of the Shrike anti-radar missions.  The same aircraft undertook Black Buck 6, the only one of the Black Buck missions that actually hit its target as intended, but ended up  with a broken refuelling probe, diversion to Rio and internment!  The aircraft now sits outside at the Museum of Flight in East Fortune, near Edinburgh. 

wpd2679edc_05_06.jpg

The kit is very basic with raised panel lines and the hard thick plastic makes it a bit of a beast to build.  But I got there in the end and it definitely looks like a Vulcan.

wp01148a4e_05_06.jpg

Due to the current (and possibly ongoing) absence of many Humbrol enamel tins from the market, I had to use a Humbrol rattle can for the upper surface Medium Sea Grey.  It worked surprisingly well for a first attempt, but sadly it did not match well with the tin of MSG I used to touch up areas such as the cockpit canopy. 

wp56e778d9_05_06.jpg

The Shrikes, pylons and adaptors all came from the spares box (ex Hasegawa I think).

The jammer came from an old ESCI kit.

wp9bdfebc7_05_06.jpg

I added some sprue detail in the cockpit and boxed in the access trunk in order to leave the hatch open.  None of this can be seen, of course!!!

wp58f2ca1b_05_06.jpg

....and although I didn't use it, I couldn't resist mounting the kit's Blue Steel missile on a maintenance frame!

wp5f4bb8e2_05_06.jpg

• Like 46