Acrylic, laquer paint/varnish order help.

Bbdave

If I paint a model with a laquer paint (mr color) do I use an acrylic varnish then laquer pin wash/weathering then finish with acrylic varnish. Or do I just use laquer based?.

I do find my clear coats go sticky when t try to weather I am just confused and now have so many clear products I'm lost with what I'm supposed to do, it's clear coating that ruins my models and I'm about to just pack it all in so any help is greatly appreciated.

Dave

Hi Dave,

I primarily use the lacquer clears - for gloss Gunze GX-100 or GX-112, the latter is a UV Cut which I think, subjectively, sprays a little better than GX-100 (which is great anyway), then GX-114 for flat coats. I'll also use the Gunze and Tamiya alcohol based aqueous varnishes like Tamiya X-22. Everything thinned with Mr Color Leveling Thinner.

When weathering and achieving effects, I use oil or enamel rendering, filters and pin wash onto the dried lacquer gloss coat, or flat coat depending on the desired effect. Thinning and clean-up is with odourless thinners or naphtha. I do like to leave these oil and enamel finishes 48 hours before a final lacquer clear coat. This is just cautious me. I expect you can get onto it sooner. Final result is not sticky. 

However, there are some non-lacquer varnishes I am very keen to use and that is the VMS (Vantage Modelling Solutions) range.  Seems to have a number of good reports. 

Which brand of acrylic varnish are you using? 

Ray

@Ray_W I have all kinds reccomended to me from vallejo to art shop products they all seem to go on really badly (i airbrush them on) I have some of the GX but thought using terps (which I'd use for oil washes etc.)would soften it again?

Dave

2 hours ago, Bbdave said:

I have some of the GX but thought using terps (which I'd use for oil washes etc.)would soften it again?

Never had a problem with odourless thinners or naphtha softening the lacquer varnishes. Mind you, I would not start doing any washes until the next day following the clear coat application. 

• Thanks 1