Pinwash / Xtracolor Question

Gisbod

Hi,

Just a quick question - I’ve just bought a batch of Hannants Xtracolor paints to try on recommendation as I struggle to find a true high gloss product. Just tried one and sprays beautifully with 50% white spirit.

Ideal for decalling, but my question is, is there an acrylic / lacquer / water based pin wash that will work effectively for panel lines over these enamel/oil based paints? Ideally something that will flow into the lines rather than an overall wash.

Any ideas? It would be nice not to have to do a non oil based varnish on top to take an oil pin wash..

Many thanks,

Guy

3 hours ago, Gisbod said:

Hi,

Just a quick question - I’ve just bought a batch of Hannants Xtracolor paints to try on recommendation as I struggle to find a true high gloss product. Just tried one and sprays beautifully with 50% white spirit.

Ideal for decalling, but my question is, is there an acrylic / lacquer / water based pin wash that will work effectively for panel lines over these enamel/oil based paints? Ideally something that will flow into the lines rather than an overall wash.
Any ideas? It would be nice not to have to do a non oil based varnish on top to take an oil pin wash..

Many thanks,

Guy

Ditch the white spirit for thinning, try laquer thinners (Tamiya or Gunze Mr Color work well) or Colourcoats Naphta thinners, you'll get the same high gloss but it will dry much quicker.

Try artists water colour paints with a tiny bit of dish washing soap in them (breaks down surface tension and allows them to flow rather than pool- works great for a panel line pin wash on a gloss surface and dead easy to wash off if you make a mistake. 

• Like 1

Ah thanks Dave,

That’s very helpful, I don’t think I realised Oils could be thinned with lacquers…

And I’ll definitely try the dishwasher liquid idea, much appreciated, any reason you can’t to that with standard acrylic? Vallejo?

Guy

8 hours ago, Gisbod said:

Artist oils thinned with lighter fuel.   You can thin enamel with it as well,   

The liquid soap is basically acrylic flow improver,  same thing , lower surface tension.

Water is still relatively 'thick' compared to Lighter fuel, it is about the most seeking you will get,  as it's very very volatile. It will flash off in 30 seconds.

I use it over acrylic, like Vallejo, which isn't the toughest paint with no problem.

I mostly use burnt umber with a tiny amount if black, add white for a dirty grey.  You can remove the excess, move about/streak with airflow or gravity with a clean brush damped in lighter fuel.   As long as your enamel has cured it should be fine wiped off with clean LF. 

You can thin enamel with it as well.

Bear in mind LF it's  just light naptha, (or hexane)  white spirit is horrible oily gunk in comparison. 

Alternately experiment over cured enamel with acrylic or ink thinned with isopropyl alcohol.   

• Like 1

Thanks Troy,

That’s helpful, I’ll do some experimentation around those. Although the Xtracolor are great you forget about the long drying times. As soon as I’ve done one colour in MRP, I can mask up for the next!

Guy