Eye of the storm? Airfix 1/72 Hawker Tempest Mk V

SaminCam

Welcome all to my next WIP build, the new 1/72 Airfix Hawker Tempest. First impressions of this one are really good: there's a good amount of plastic in the box, a nicely detailed cockpit, nice clear instructions and two great looking schemes to choose from. Here's the obligatory box shot:

52527232517_c150886087_c.jpg

This one will be mostly ootb, the cockpit is really closed off so won't add detail other than some foil seatbelts and think I'll use the kit markings to complete the version with yellow spinner and invasion stripes. 

I started with lots of dry fitting and found the thick trailing edges that others have commented on - why didn't they mould the flaps with the upper surface then have the join underneath? Anyway, I ground away some plastic on both upper and lower parts with my fake dremel tool then sanded the trailing edges until they were just going see through.

52527232497_f1c2a310bc_c.jpg

I've now added the transparent bits, guns (drilled out too) and added the 0.6mm holes required for later. I glued the two halves together this evening and will see how it all looks before a bit of filling around the edges and more sanding away the TE if needed.

The biggest modification I plan to make is to do a thorough riveting job on this little model as the larger scale versions I've seen look great with the extra detail. I'll do a bit of practice on an old paint mule and then get stuck in before gluing fuselage and wings together. Thanks for dropping in, more to come soon! Sam

• Like 15

Nice start Sam and I echo your thoughts about thick trailing edges on quite a few recent kits. The issue that I see with trimming them on the inside, is that you may have more issues later on when you attach the wings to the fuselage. I’m sure you can recover any misalignment that occurs, however the other way could be to assemble the parts as they come, then try to sand the trailing edges lightly to retain a good finish. Some rescribing may be in order, however not too much I would think. 

Either way I look forward to seeing your progress. I’ve not got one of these kits (as yet), as I have many other manufacturers Tempests still stashed. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Thanks 1

Good to see another build Sam I'm at the primer stage and it's been a joy to build, check the fit of the wing leading edges I had to scrape and sand the guns and wheel well boxing in for a snug fit.

• Thanks 1

Just finished with this one too. Lovely kit to build. The only thing I might flag up (other than the trailing edges being the major one), is maybe little care may be needed with the radiator assembly to ensure the radiator inner surface on the wing is able to reach over and snap into place. Good luck with it, wing scraping aside, I thoroughly enjoyed mine start to finish.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, SaminCam said:

why didn't they mould the flaps with the upper surface

Sink marks, I've come across quite a few kits molded thus with quite bad sink marks just forward of the trailing edge. I can imagine a manufacturer might chose to avoid that. :shrug:

Steve.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Cheers @Rabbit Leader, I've ended up sanding trailing edges from outside as well after applying some sprue glue, it's not waffer thin but a lot better than to start with:

52530588809_87cfde7ded_c.jpg

@stevej60 @Ngantek, thanks for these tips as well gents, both noted! The leading edges weren't too bad and I've had a play with the strange "tongue" that sticks forward into the intake with some dry fitting, I see what you mean!

21 hours ago, stevehnz said:

Sink marks, I've come across quite a few kits molded thus with quite bad sink marks just forward of the trailing edge. I can imagine a manufacturer might chose to avoid that. :shrug:

Steve.

Makes sense Steve, I'm an engineer myself (also an academic though, so not a real one 🤓) and there's always a compromise to make. I've lots of sympathy for the people who design these kits (and a little envy) and overall super impressed with this one.

Further progress this evening was a squirt of rubber black then a lighter grey highlight on the insides and wheel bays to provide an undercoat for the cockpit green to come next. Probably watch the football tomorrow night but hopefully there will be some more snaps to come later in the week. Cheers, Sam

• Like 8

Evening all, have been fiddling around with foil wrapper and bits of stretched sprue to make some seat belts. I'm getting better at these but could still be a bit more refined ( those two big buckles might get redone next time I'm at the bench...), not too bad for 1/72 though I guess. Interior painting to come next and can then get fuselage halves together. 

52532396686_91a92e07f0_c.jpg

• Like 12

Evening all, I've made a little bit of progress on the Tempest this week, the cockpit is pretty much done - you can't really see much so have kept things simple except for the extra work on the seatbelts. Here the fuselage is slotted together (not glued yet) to give an idea of how it will look:

52543086449_87594e3b05_c.jpg

These close ups are always a bit gruesome but pretty happy with how it looks IRL. I've started the job of riveting the whole aircraft - decided to properly go for it and I'm trying extra hard to be neat and tidy. Port tail plane done and starboard under way here:

52543274585_fdbf2956c6_c.jpg

I'm basing the pattern on drawings I found and photos of the larger scale Tempest kits. It's going to take a while but will hopefully be worth it, even if the effect is quite subtle once paint goes on. Thanks for dropping by, more updates once the wings are done! Sam

• Like 11

On 11/29/2022 at 4:06 PM, SaminCam said:

Evening all, have been fiddling around with foil wrapper and bits of stretched sprue to make some seat belts. I'm getting better at these but could still be a bit more refined ( those two big buckles might get redone next time I'm at the bench...), not too bad for 1/72 though I guess. Interior painting to come next and can then get fuselage halves together. 

52532396686_91a92e07f0_c.jpg

Incredible for 1/72 if you ask me! I've stopped doing these, PE or decal or nothing for me given how frustrating I find manipulation tape and foil.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, ModelingEdmontonian said:

Incredible for 1/72 if you ask me! I've stopped doing these, PE or decal or nothing for me given how frustrating I find manipulation tape and foil.

Foil from scalpel packaging is the answer, just the right stiffness to bend around the seat but still stiff enough to keep its shape, the buckles are bits of stretched sprue 👍

• Like 4

Hi Sam, it is a nice start of this new kit. I am following your build as I might go get one later too ! the added rivets will definitely make the kit "alive" ! good work on the added belt too. 

Looking forward to more updates soon. 

Ernest

• Thanks 1

Evening all, I'm pretty much "all in" on the riveting plan now having made a start on the upper wing surface:

52550170183_eb52b2be5a_c.jpg

I'm using photos of the 1/48 Eduard kit for the pattern, dymo tape stuck to tamiya tape (so you can reuse), a fine pencil to check position, then Rosie riveter using the tape as a guide - it's going to take ages but so far I've been able to keep things neat and tidy and it should look great when the whole aircraft is done. I've also got RFI photos for Stuka taken so will get those up in the next day or two. Cheers, Sam 

52542744405_1c89f0a518_c.jpg

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

Evening all, I hope you are all doing well. I've been plugging away at riveting the Tempest:

52574029326_c821c8bebe_c.jpg

I've done the top side of one wing and the bottom side of the other so making progress. It's not perfect by any means, sometimes the tape ruler moves, it's hard to get everything perfectly square and parallel and every now and again you just slip, ...but... I think the overall effect works quite well and will bring this nice little kit to life. A few other minor modifications are to drill out the panel fastening holes already there, create a few more on the small hatches with a needle, open up the shell ejector holes underneath and add the pedal foot plates withb carefully scored aluminium foil. I'm hoping I can speed up a bit now I'll be copying the pattern across to the other wing, then it's on to the fuselage! Cheers for looking, here's the underside wing:

52574559243_decb50812f_c.jpg

• Like 12

• 2 weeks later...

Evening all! First dry fit of all the main bits and pieces and it suddenly looks like a Tempest:

52592590259_4dbe774c71_c.jpg

Riveting on the wings pretty much done so moving on to the fuselage next. Need to remember to do the wing tip lights, job for tomorrow! 

• Like 9

• 2 weeks later...

Little update on the Tempest, I'm very nearly there with the riveting, just a little more to do under the nose and then final touch ups. I also spent a bit of time today sorting out fiddly little details required before any paint gets sprayed. Drilled out gun barrels:

52615955074_3dc89d69c6_c.jpg

and exhaust pipes:

52616127205_c17b08d468_c.jpg

And dressed in and polished up wingtip lights (there's a little hole painted green / red inside these but they didn't show up well here):

52615184817_3b9f8497fa_c.jpg

Should get some paint on pretty soon! Cheers, Sam

• Like 9

• 2 weeks later...

Evening all, slow progress with this one as the new year kicks in and lots of things going on in real life and at work. I've been steadily working through a list of small jobs like painting and riveting the wheel covers, masking the canopy, tidying up seams and painting and weathering the wheel bays. This afternoon I got the airbrush out gave everything a very light dusting of Tamiya rubber black:

52639683097_c91edfc9c8_b.jpg

This base coat reveals imperfections quite well and fortunately she's looking pretty good - happy with the seams and the riveting shows through nicely. This is the first step in what I think is called "black basing" (for obvious reasons!), Next I'll switch to the fine nozzle on the airbrush and mottle on lighter grey to provide a preshade, then I'll mask off carefully and paint the camouflage pattern and invasion stripes. Thanks for dropping in, more soon I hope!

• Like 10

Thanks @Johnson! Got the first mottle coat on this evening. This is how I like to preshade and should help to add some life to the layers of paint coming next. Tbh it didn't go that well - first I couldn't get the paint consistency quite right then I was having trouble with the nozzle spraying a line not a dot so things are less neat than I would like. Once finished I checked the nozzle and a little split has appeared causing the ropey behaviour - time for a new one so I can spray straight and smarten things up with a slightly lighter shade of grey 👍

52640424617_0297296d3e_b.jpg

• Like 10

Thanks @Mukund SB and @bigbadbadge, the riveting took ages but strangely satisfying once you get into the swing of it!

Not getting much time for modelling at the moment but still nibbling away at this one, here she is masked up ready for a coat of Ocean Grey later today:

52656266883_b7a7e2c911_b.jpg

I've cut the pattern out carefully and kept the "negative" offcuts so hopefully I can use these to mask off for the green, we'll see! The Tempest is an awesome looking aircraft and I can't wait to see it with some colour on! 

• Like 6

Afternoon all, I hope it is going well! Airbrush painting has happened over the last week or so:
 - First the underside got a shot of Tamiya XF83 Medium Sea Grey with a drop of white added (about 10%) before thinning. 

- Next, after masking, I laid down XF82 Ocean Grey, again with a touch of white added. I'm using really thin layers and have tried to stop just at the right moment to let the preshade actually do something - usually I going a coat or two too far and by the time I've glossed, matted, weathered, etc, the variation gets lots. 

- The green is a 75-25 mix of XF-71 Dark Green 2 (which is a bit green on its own to my eye) and XF-49 Khaki. The "negative" mask cutting worked out pretty well and I'm pleased with the joins between the colours which don't need too much touching up. I've painted this way, rather than an all over coat of grey, then green on top, so I don't have too many layers building up obscuring the preshade and filling in the rivets - it's a bit more painstaking but looking ok so far:

52670729944_5b937a042a_b.jpg

This morning I got some more masking done and I've just sprayed a coat of matt white for the invasion stripes. There's a bit of preshade showing through which will, I think, look about right once the black is on and top coats added. I was so keen to see what it looked like in this state I made the mistake of de-masking before the black stripes were done... ah well a bit more masking never hurt anyone! So black stripes, sky band near the tail and then yellow leading edges and she'll be painted and ready for varnish and decals - I always love this part of the build where it starts to come alive, more soon hopefully! Cheers, Sam

52670729954_74153b18fb_b.jpg

• Like 13