1:48 Bristol Beaufort

For many years I've been saying I've wanted a 1:48 Beaufort because for some reason I've always liked the look of this aircraft! Call me weird, but there something about this hump-backed beast that I like! So a couple of months ago I was astonisehd to discover that ICM had just released a kit! Thankfully the IPMS Abingdon show was a couple days later and I managed to get one! 

20221013_190209.jpg?m=1666531312

I also got the 3D instrument 'decals' from Kits-world, but I think its fair to say I won't be using them again as I can't honestly say I was that impressed. The build was interesting and had it challenges, particularly around the fitting of the engine cowlings! My advise is do NOT follow the sequence in the instructions, fitting the propellers to the engines, then fitting them to the wings and then trying to assemble the cowlings around them. I ended up having to chop off the props again and assemble the cowlings as a single piece and fit them. The joint is not easy to get right and is VERY visible on the finished model if not done right!

Anyway the finished pic...

DSC_6892.JPG?m=1669581496

DSC_6893.JPG?m=1669581501

DSC_6894.JPG?m=1669581503

DSC_6896.JPG?m=1669581503

DSC_6895.JPG?m=1669581507

I'm really pleased with how it came out in the end after almost ruining it at the varnish stage!!! Now I need to build  a Beaufighter and a Blenheim...

• Like 32

6 minutes ago, dogsbody said:

Looks good, but those oil coolers look huge. I think ICM blew that detail.

Chris

There’s something “not quite right” about the look of the collector rings too I think.  Are the openings too large?

19 minutes ago, stever219 said:

There’s something “not quite right” about the look of the collector rings too I think.  Are the openings too large?

Yeah, you're right! I didn't notice that at first glance.

Chris

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Nice work @Kallisti, you’ve done a great job there. I won’t comment on the kits details per say, however having built the Airfix kit and studied many photographs in the process, there does seem to be a few odd bits as others have raised. You may have also forgotten to remove one paint mask front the front left corner of the canopy, so best remove that one. 

Cheers and well modelled.. Dave 

• Thanks 1

On 11/27/2022 at 8:58 PM, dogsbody said:

Looks good, but those oil coolers look huge. I think ICM blew that detail.

Chris

The oil coolers are moulded into the wings and have a very obvious blanking plate just inside which I drilled out, but comparing to photos yes they do look slightly larger than they need to be. I wasn't going to go and start correcting too much in the build, I'm not an expert on the type and just wanted to build it :)

Sounds like an aftermarket correction job!

On 11/27/2022 at 10:06 PM, Rabbit Leader said:

You may have also forgotten to remove one paint mask front the front left corner of the canopy, so best remove that one. 

Oops! :) There was so much damn masking on this thing and the mask patterns that they provide in the instructions are useless as they are too large - I tried photocopying them onto a sheet of frisket to use as the masks but when I cut one out and tried to apply it, it was too bloody large! So I went old school with tape and a fresh scalpel blade!

• Like 2

Very good and a great finish - the first one I've seen built here.  Thanks for the info re the cowlings as it's on my medium term list but I'm waiting until the desert camo version is released.   I'd be very pleased with the end result!