Star-Spangled Spitfire PR.XI, 14th PRS, 7th PRG, USAAF 8th AF

First of all, I'd like to give a big shout out and thank you to @mark.au, @AliGauld, @bigbadbadge and @Winded Penguin for the opportunity to join in with this informal PRU Spitfire GB: thanks guys! :) 

My choice of subject is Kovozavody Prostejov's 1/72 Spit PR.XI in USAAF guise. I'll be finishing it as an aircraft flown by the 14th PRS of the 7th PRG, in the scheme shown for MB950 (scheme 2), but not necessarily MB950 as I'm a bit of twit when it comes to serials!

Obligatory box and sprue pics:

IMG-4921.jpg

IMG-4922.jpg

IMG-4918.jpg

IMG-4919.jpg

Before making a start, I needed to clear a small space in which to begin work:

IMG-4924.jpg

The Quality Control Officer sleeping on the job.....

However, the Quality Control Officer soon awoke and gradually encroached, so that at the enforced end of play I'd put the seat frame together and fitted the wheel well walls:

IMG-4925a.jpg

And she's sat on the instruction sheet, too! Gotta love that Daisy ❤️

Following @Giorgio N's advice on @AliGauld's build thread, I've hacked the centre out of the rearmost bulkhead which as supplied is the type fitted to pressurised cockpit variants. For a pattern, I used the corresponding part from Airfix's Mk.Vc. I'll also be scratching up a new "floor" as the supplied part is a bit short - thanks Alistair for the heads-up on that.

And that's it so far: not much to show for my weekend, but I've got a couple of free evenings this week before taking Jane away for a long weekend for her birthday.

Thanks for looking in!

Mark

• Like 18
  • Haha 2

20 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

Great start Mark, proceedings brought to an early close with the very cute quality control officer😄

Nice scheme choice too.

Chris 

17 minutes ago, Winded Penguin said:

What he said. Great to have you onboard the unofficial PRU GB 👍

10 minutes ago, mark.au said:

Those American PR spits looked very cool, good to have one in the GB.

Thanks, chaps, it's great to be along for the ride! :) 

I do like the USAAF scheme with the red cowling panel and green rudder, which apparently were unit markings.

Looking forward to getting on with this build :)

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 2

Nice to see you started on this one Mark.

And to see your quality control officer is on the job.

I must say that your solution to the rear cockpit bulkhead is far more elegant than my clumsy attempt.

Looking forward to progress.

Daisy is such a wee cutie.

Hope Arthur is doing well too.

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, TonyOD said:

This is going to be smart with those splashes of colour. 

spacer.png

Thanks, Tony, it's a little bit out of my usual subject matter, so I'm hoping it turns out well! So far, it's looking like a nice kit so here's to not buggering it up! :D

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, AliGauld said:

Nice to see you started on this one Mark.

And to see your quality control officer is on the job.

I must say that your solution to the rear cockpit bulkhead is far more elegant than my clumsy attempt.

Looking forward to progress.

Daisy is such a wee cutie.

Hope Arthur is doing well too.

Cheers,

Alistair

Thanks, Alistair, you're too kind! It took an absolute age :) and I've since found a cutaway drawing of the PR.XI which shows a radio equipment shelf between the seat frame and that frame, so the lower two thirds will be invisible anyway :rofl2:

Daisy's a sweetheart, although she's turned into a bit of a sandbag over the summer.

Arthur's fine - he's got his winter coat so he's doing a fair impression of Dougal (cue David Essex - It was only a winter's tail!)

IMG-20221128-140925218.jpg

dougal-original-series-profile-image.png

🤣🤣🤣

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

25 minutes ago, 2996 Victor said:

Moths!

IMG-20221129-160417542.jpg

Hurrumph! :facepalm:

Mark, if you PM me your email address I'll get mine scanned and send them to you.

Alternatively you can get a scanned copy here.

https://www.scalemates.com/products/img/2/5/6/1406256-20-instructions.pdf

It's not your particular scheme but the instructions are the same.

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, AliGauld said:

Mark, if you PM me your email address I'll get mine scanned and send them to you.

Alternatively you can get a scanned copy here.

https://www.scalemates.com/products/img/2/5/6/1406256-20-instructions.pdf

It's not your particular scheme but the instructions are the same.

Cheers,

Alistair

Thanks, Alistair, that's very kind of you but I've got another one in the stash so it's all good. My fault for leaving it on the table, but it's just typical after bigging-up Daisy that she decided to become a shredder :D Could be useful for confidential documents, though..... 🤔 

Cheers,

Mark 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

• 2996 Victor changed the title to Star Spangled Spit - KP Spitfire PR.XI of the 14th PRS, 7th PRG, USAAF 8th AF

After a frustrating couple of weekends, I've finally been making a little progress on my blue bird. Most of my time has been spent in pursuit of much silliness which won't be visible, and there's more of that to come! And I've finally fired up my new compressor and double-action airbrush (whoa there, tiger!) which has enabled me to start a bit of painting. Basic interior grey-green and aluminium has happened, detail painting and a some extra gubbins to follow. In the meantime, a couple of pics:

IMG-4930.jpg

IMG-4931.jpg

I realise the wheel wells are normally under-surface colour rather than aluminium, and that will happen when the PRU blue happens in due course.

Thanks for looking in and all the best,

Mark

• Like 6

14 minutes ago, AliGauld said:

Oh yes,

Good to see this one.

Looking forward to what you can do with it.

Cheers,

Alistair

Thanks, Alistair, I'm really looking forward to building this one :)

Cheers,

Mark 

• Like 1

On 11/29/2022 at 5:20 PM, 2996 Victor said:

Moths!

IMG-20221129-160417542.jpg

Hurrumph! :facepalm:

Damn kittens....

Kalina use to sleep over my pile of started project, her favourite cardbox are the hasegawa ones.....

When the Combat kit box is over the pile, she try to push it aside and get back on the F-18 one....

Great PR Spitfire !! Mine will be "Upstair Maid" based in old Blightley....

Can I take a seat ??

sincerely.

CC

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Winded Penguin said:

Great to see this one back on stream. Colour scheme with the red cowling or otherwise, all the options are all looking good too 👍

Thanks :) it's got the potential to look nice! The 14th PRS had the red cowling panel and also painted the rudder green, late 1944 onward, and retained those ID markings after the airframes were stripped down to bare aluminium and polished. It'd be interesting to do the same aircraft in both schemes!

Cheers,

Mark 

• Like 1