KMS Schleswig Holstein September 01, 1939

Marco1965

I recently bought the Trumpeter Schleswig Holstein 1935 kit and want to represent it as it was on September 01, 1939, when WWII started. As far as I have checked, the only differences are the location of the AAs (and I think the 150mm cannons caliber, but I will use metal barrels anyway). Now back to the AAs, reading some forums, looking at the pictures and at the videos, I think I got all the single 20mm positions confirmed, but I am having issues finding out exactly where the 20mm C30 Flakvierling was located, just "...and one 2.0cm C/30 Vierling gun added to the port side-rear boat deck...". Any images available showing the Vierling in place? I have plotted the positions of the AAs on the image below, together with the pictures where I got the information from. The rear port 20mm needs an extension of the deck just like the one on the starboard side. The rest I don't think needs any further work apart from replacing the structures in place for the aftermarket 20mm.

Any information will be appreciated!

NgvP0Edl.jpg

marco

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Modellers of a certain age may remember Harry Woodman's scratch built model that was on display in the old Seagull Model Shop in South Kensington. Apparently he used the Wilhelmshaven card model as a guide to build his from plastic card.

I wonder if the model still exists? It was incredibly well detailed and I think Harry's build was featured way back in a Scale Models magazine back in the MAP publication days in the 70's I think.

• Like 3

Update... I found the placement for the 20mm Flakvierling, and it is not near where I thought it was.  In fact, it was hidden in plain sight in some pictures.  It was installed on a platform on the rear of the port front boat deck (see drawing).  In the films of the attack, the upper part of the Flakvierling is shown, one cannon firing, behind a single 20mm AA position that is not manned (the picture on the low-right side of the image below is a still shot of it).  i could not find a good picture of that part of the deck supporting the Vierling, I don´t know if it was extended sidewards or if it was used as it was before, it already extended over the deck underneath.  I´ll need to check the kit itself to see if it needs any additional work.  Meanwhile, quite happy that the emplacement of the Flakvierling will not be a "what if" anymore!

IrtIt0Pl.jpg

marco

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, having solved the armament issue, another question.  Trumpeter’s instructions recommend painting the hull’s sides RLM78 “Light Blue”.  RLM78 looks out of place to me, too blue, is it the correct color?  or would it rather be “Dunkelgrau 51 (RAL7000 “Squirrel Grey)” equivalent to MM Medium Grey according to KM Early war colors.

Marco