US Navy 5"/54 caliber Mark 42 gun in 1:700

KRK4m

All the 1:700 and 1:720 kits of American supercarriers that I know of include an air group of F-14s and F-18s, which forces them to be built in the Gulf War configuration.

Wanting to have an aircraft carrier from the beginning of the Vietnam War in my collection, some time ago I started backdating the old Italeri 5520 (CV-60 Saratoga) kit to the 1957-66 configuration.

Things were slowly going well, I rebuilt all 4 sponsons and got stuck. I have nowhere to get eight 5" Mk.42/54 caliber Frogeye guns in the double-dome single mount version.

In 1:350 this is not a problem, because aftermarket Mk.42 guns are offered by both L'Arsenal and Orange Hobby. But what should one do in 1:700.

Do you know any ship model including these guns? One piece would be enough for me to copy them in resin.

Cheers

Michael

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry, I can't help with any kits or aftermarket that will help here but have you considered 3D printing them?  They're a pretty simple shape so would be easy enough to draw I would have thought and there are companies out there which will print your own designs.

This isn't complete and it's not necessarily drawn to 1/700 scale, but this took about 25 mins to knock up in CAD:

52569906912_8ec4e1e752_b.jpg

I appreciate that may not be an ideal solution but it might help you out of a hole.

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

If the difference between your 1:720 kit and 1:700 accessories isn't too much of a bother, and inferring that adding the second "frogeye" dome is no problem for someone already modifying various sponsons, platforms, radars, etc. then I believe your best option will be any of several Skywave/Pit Road Modern Equipment sets.  Most of these heavily favor equipment used by the USN and JMSDF, and the 5" Mk 42 is included in sets I, II, III, and V (set IV is mostly European equipment).

http://www.modelwarships.com/reviews/misc/skywave/e1/skywave-e1.html

These sprues were standard in most Skywave kits from the era, so if you have difficulty finding the accessory set(s) alone, you can also look for a kit that doesn't use the Mk 42 but includes it as spares (or cast your own extras after doing the frogeye mod).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1