Tornado IDS early P9 engine shells

SouthViper

Hi,

I would like to know if the prototype Tornadoes would be able to drive

the turbine reversers even with the post combustion activated? Or would

there be a device that prevents this action?

Well, perhaps when the Tornado was standing parked for exibition only

was it possible to show open wide exhausts together deployed reversers 

even just for the show? 

Thank You all

Southviper from Brazil

• Like 1

Interesting question!

I assume you want open nozzles and deployed trust reverser buckets deployed no?

I do not know specifically for the Tornado and its RB.199 engines, but usually nozzles open at idle ( to reduce thrust even more ) and at afterburner ( due to nozzles efficiencies at supersonic gas / fluid speeds)

I definitely do not think that you could activate the afterburner with thrust reversers deployed, due to  excessive heat and excessive thrust etc... 

On the ground, in maintenance mode nearly everything is possible...

And last question, the Tirnado nozzle is not very different regarding closed and open nozzles... do you observe differences in kits?

It would never happen.

Afterburner is used to produce more thrust; i.e. make the aircraft go faster. Thrust reverser buckets are deployed to make the aircraft slow down (on landing). Two completely opposite conditions, There would be no occasion you would need to use both together.

Selwyn

24 minutes ago, Selwyn said:

It would never happen.

Afterburner is used to produce more thrust; i.e. make the aircraft go faster. Thrust reverser buckets are deployed to make the aircraft slow down (on landing). Two completely opposite conditions, There would be no occasion you would need to use both together.

Selwyn

Thinking further on that use of reheat and reversers together would increase the linelihood of hot gas re-ingestion and consequent increase in TGT (Turbine Gas Temperature) resulting in reduced TBO (Time Between Overhauls) and overall engine life, not something that would appeal to SEngOs or Ministry bean-counters.  Bearing in mind also the "carefree handling" design philosophies of Tornado is/was there a mechanical and/or electronic baulk preventing selection of reheat if the reversers are deployed or deployment of the reversers if reheat is lit?

Thrust reverse could be preselected prior to landing, to do this you had to rock the throttles outboard (this would also select lift dump both wing spoilers deployed) Lift dump and thrust reverse (TR) was triggered but the Weight on wheels (WOW switch) so I doubt the TR would deploy inflight with the WOW switched un-made.

There was a lever in the cockpit for "taxi Nozzle" this opened the nozzle up. I think the Tr could be deployed with the nozzles in Taxi.

As part on the service routine on Tornado the buckets had to be inspected every X amount of hours. The buckets deployed via a screw jacks these jacks were air driven, But there was a small panel on the air motor you could take off and drive the buckets out via a ratchet drive once you'd unlocked the buckets for inspection/replacement.

Edited by tweeky
typo
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, scotthldr said:

Yes, you can select TR during taxi.

But not when you have selected the Taxi Nozzle open. 

17 hours ago, exdraken said:

Can you go backwards, turn as in the Viggen in the Tornado?

No.

• Like 1