Ukrainian MiG-29 digital camo 1/72 IBG - my modest tribute

Hi Friends, @Val_Ukraine , @Procopius

LxQ4qsV.jpg

My MiG is from  IBG 72901 set "MiG-29 in Ukrainian Air Force".

46994_rd.jpg

IBG reboxed Trumpeter's model with Foxbat decals (it is company from Ukriane). The set contains 3 different camouflage variants, in my opinion the most attractive one is with "tryzub" (harpoon). I added some extra goodies: Eduard's exhaust nozzles, Quinta cockpit and small but very usefull Eduard PE set designed for old Italeri kit. Instead of using digital cammo decal set I used additional masks produced by Foxbat too. I also added some wires, replaced probes and antennas. It was very relaxing build, took me only 3 months.

WNctE2m.jpg

UeerF1m.jpg

S6XLwvX.jpg

ngMKSgT.jpg

a4t07Kh.jpg

Let's look a little closer:

ebejGMe.jpg

qakBs1C.jpg

SHmQ9Lj.jpg

h4NAp5n.jpg

EFDpIjw.jpg

Me35ziZ.jpg

UjYlN4n.jpg

QdP8KoD.jpg

NDwdaFD.jpg

4Wn2Bjx.jpg

Important remark: I cut and shortened main landing gears. Without it model looks really bad - it's rear side is much too high, as you can see below. In my opinion best solution would be: to shorten all gear struts 1mm and add extra 1,5 mm for front gear.

Wbqb52O.jpg

5Ss6gHc.jpg

And some photos with Tonka which I finished recently too. She still waits for photo -session:

Vg37Fiu.jpg

B0BXH7z.jpg

4FKwh5D.jpg

Glory for free and independent Ukraine. Please, help and support brave Ukrainians, they are fighting not only for their own freedom.

Thanks for watching and reading, hope you liked my Mig.

Best regards,

Michal.

Edited by socjo1
  • Like 64
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Vultures1 said:

That's really excellent work Michal - detailing, finish and weathering are all superb. 

Plus, 3 hours?!? That's amazingly quick work for a result of that quality 

Sorry, I made a mistake. 😳 I mean 3 months of course- not a lot for my builds. Tornado took about 7 months and was much much more difficult and troublesome.

Michal.

Edited by socjo1
  • Haha 2

13 hours ago, socjo1 said:

Hi Friends, @Val_Ukraine , @Procopius

LxQ4qsV.jpg

My MiG is from  IBG 72901 set "MiG-29 in Ukrainian Air Force".

46994_rd.jpg

IBG reboxed Trumpeter's model with Foxbat decals (it is company from Ukriane). The set contains 3 different camouflage variants, in my opinion the most attractive one is with "tryzub" (harpoon). I added some extra goodies: Eduard's exhaust nozzles, Quinta cockpit and small but very usefull Eduard PE set designed for old Italeri kit. Instead of using digital cammo decal set I used additional masks produced by Foxbat too. I also added some wires, replaced probes and antennas. It was very relaxing build, took me only 3 months.

WNctE2m.jpg

UeerF1m.jpg

S6XLwvX.jpg

ngMKSgT.jpg

a4t07Kh.jpg

Let's look a little closer:

ebejGMe.jpg

qakBs1C.jpg

SHmQ9Lj.jpg

h4NAp5n.jpg

EFDpIjw.jpg

Me35ziZ.jpg

UjYlN4n.jpg

QdP8KoD.jpg

NDwdaFD.jpg

4Wn2Bjx.jpg

Important remark: I scuuted and shortened front landing gear. Without it model looks really bad - it's rear side is much too high, as you can see below. In my opinion best solution would be: to shorten all gear struts 1mm and add extra 1,5 mm for front gear.

Wbqb52O.jpg

And some photos with Tonka which I finished recently too. She still waits for photo -session:

Vg37Fiu.jpg

B0BXH7z.jpg

4FKwh5D.jpg

Glory for free and independent Ukraine. Please, help and support brave Ukrainians, they are fighting not only for their own freedom.

Thanks for watching and reading, hope you liked my Mig.

Best regards,

Michal.

Very very nice i have the ghost of Kyiv in my stash. Just trying to decide to invest in an airbrush or keep with brush painting......... But yours looks fab

• Thanks 1

Excellent model! How were the Foxbat masks? From other reviews I get the impression that they stick somewhat too well ( which risks lifting the paint).

Speaking of which, what paints did you use?

Edited by Fin
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Fin said:

Excellent model! How were the Foxbat masks? From other reviews I get the impression that they stick somewhat too well ( which risks lifting the paint).

Speaking of which, what paints did you use?

Thank you fellows for your comments and likes.

First I sprayed Mr Surfacer 1000 as undercoat. Then I used Gunze C and Hataka Orange. I agree Foxbot masks have quite strong glue  however there was NO situation of peeling paint off the model. Masks worked pretty well with Gunze paints, however unfortunantely when I removed masks off the model, masks left lot of glue on Hataka-painted areas. Happily I easily removed it glue with White Spirit and cotton-stick.

PS. Beautifull avatar, I love IAR-80, it's absolutely beauty plane!

@sanfrandragon I'll answer your question tomorrow, sorry mate.

Best regards,

Michal

Edited by socjo1
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 27/11/2022 at 09:04, sanfrandragon said:

Really nice!  The digital camouflage looks excellent.  I have the ICM Ghost of Kyiv to make.  The afterburners looks amazing, can you give some detail on how you did them please?

Sorry for delay.

1. Studying and analysing lot of original plane's photos and imagininng what effect I want finally achieve. It is really very important stage!

2. Black gloss base: Gunze Ueno black

3. Nozzle's interiors: white and then a few layers of Modeller's World Oil. I like very much this product of small polish producer. It smells quite nice, has good drop-application and works good on model. You can show its webpage: https://www.modellersworld.eu/?v=9b7d173b068d

zaAQv6H.jpg

4. I drybrushed nozzles (only nozzles)  with matt white. I acieved irregular black and white mosaique.

5. I sprayed metallic colours. I tried to do it transparently to maintain mosaique-effect.

6.  Every two shutter I brushed thinly with transparnent acrylic clear blue paint.

7. Rest of them I gave more brown washes and Burnt red Tamiya powder.

Generally, it was a multi-staged, slow process and great experiment, it was my first time. Think most effect I achieved with blue clear paint, Cittadel's ink was very usefull too. I don't like normally this ink but this time worked pretty well. Very strong effect and covering - that's what I need this time!

I hope you understand, it was not very easy task to describe it, hope photos will help!

W0kJz39.jpg

1CvPHKG.jpg

... and that's how  Master do it:

http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index.php?/topic/303533-gwh-148-su-35sk-flanker-e-plaaf-6th-brigade/page/5/&tab=comments#comment-2933353

On 27/11/2022 at 19:27, Fin said:

One more thing. Tryzub/harpoon mask wasn't ease to move and place on model. It is worth to stick a masking tape on mask to stregthen it during manouvring:

CbYXy2o.jpg

On 27/11/2022 at 00:35, Procopius said:

good to know about the landing gear!

You can see how low rear side (of aircraft 😉 ) is!

8Dq3GKb.jpg

That's how I had to do it (extreame surgery without enesthesia):

5Ss6gHc.jpg

Well, I'm not a big fan of modern awiation. However, I must say Mig is really beautiful plane (both films from youtube):

https://youtu.be/ZPlFVV9zvQs

Best regards,

Michal

Edited by socjo1
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, socjo1 said:

You can see how low rear side (of aircraft 😉 ) is!

8Dq3GKb.jpg

You know, Michal, I'm not sure this photo was taken entirely for the purpose of showing the MiG-29's stance at all!

• Haha 4

Very nice kit 👍

Thanks for the note about landing gear. It is always a little nightmare to corect the pose of the plane during assembling gear on almost finished kit.

I was afraid I missed your Tornado, but I see, you did´t post finished subject so far. So I am looking forward to see it. Your in progress was very promising 🙂 

• Thanks 1

On 01/12/2022 at 13:16, David Koktavý said:

I was afraid I missed your Tornado, but I see, you did´t post finished subject so far. So I am looking forward to see it. Your in progress was very promising 🙂 

Thank you. I am going to do a base with pilots and Land Rover that's one of the reasons why Tornado hasn't finishing gallery yet.

Michal

• 2 months later...

Today is the sad first anniversary of russian aggresion on Ukraine. That's why I wanted  remind my little Mig.

Regards, 

Michal.

Edited by socjo1
  • Like 1