ICM 1/48 Ju 88A-4, 9./KG 30, Sicily, Spring 1941

Icarus

Good evening, everyone.

I would like to contribute another 1/48 ICM origin Ju 88A-4, this time in the Sicily colours (with the multiple ship kill marks on the fin)..

w_oVXxgfmRzGITT5Jmt3kBlkrcq41e6pcMtY-acM

XWCHv8D5tLlQCSKQRbubhktv1m_w59a9sNK9jaTO

FiyLv5uBd5SDCvHuachHDEdwZR6E3iNxSevZA3NT

Looking forward to this - I have a couple of variants of this kit in the stash, in my little contribution to supporting Ukraine in this difficult time.  I also have purchased several other ICM/Modelsvit kits this year, for a similar reason.

Icarus

• Like 5

• 1 month later...

Right - my Meteor prototype in that group build is nearing completion, so I have had a chance to make a start on this.  Magnificent detail and  fit seems to be exquisite on test fitting - this looks like it is going to be a fun build. if I get enough time....

EhtQUsDnCCPygQNeFThXrWtZLZpUgJA5RaGUTHAA

BTW I did spray some of the internal components with an initial coat of Tamiya Aluminium (decanted from the can into my airbrush), so if I feel that way inclined I can add some weathering later on by abrasion of the RLM 66 coat with a stiff brush.

Thanks for looking,

Icarus

Edited by Icarus
  • Like 3

Guys if I may, my warning is to watch out with the engine nacelles and the undercarriage. The nacelles should only be part assembled as a sub and finish gluing when it's on the wing. Also there is no clearance with covers over the undercarriage legs. You will need to trim first.

If you get stuck just shout out. 

• 2 weeks later...

So, I have largely finished the cockpit components now, and took these photos whilst doing a quick test fit.  All OOB, apart from some unpainted generic PE WW2 German seatbelts (which I painted!)

_ouGa78ErhhrzZxT2N4PZz6HsvK2_0aD2WQsNU7S

BuEkCrEjwpuU4Y76HLc0ONSMCZDPSHXAKx2Fl29h

Given work pressure at the moment, I seriously doubt I will get this completed by the Group Build deadline, but I will enjoy getting this done eventually.  Well done ICM.

Thanks for looking,

Icarus

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for extending this by a week.  I will do my best to get this as complete as possible.  If we had finished at the original time, this would have been as far as I would have gotten...

-YIDWzUR2CB2mqlUASiaDT5c-Tu4knvZJBXu58_n

For ease of masking, I was thinking of painting the main aircraft with the engine nacelles clipped in, but not with the undercarriage.  However, noting the advice from @Walter above, I think this is likely to lead to some serious issues later.  I will likely complete the undercarriage leg/nacelle assembly before painting, and accept this will mean I have to do some very awkward masking.

Thanks for looking, and the advice @Walter.

Icarus

Edited by Icarus
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Icarus said:

For ease of masking, I was thinking of painting the main aircraft with the engine nacelles clipped in, but not with the undercarriage.

I took this a step further and did the main (green) painting long before the final assembly

I found the key for the nacelles was

a) file down the lugs on the nacelles until they actually fit, before you even assemble the nacelles, or certainly before you try and attach them

b) don't glue the gear in, just loosely position it, slip the tops of the nacelles over the top of the front of the wing, then wiggle like mad and the nacelle will go on over the gear OK. I've only just glued mine on, they've been clipped on for ages, and I never actually glued the gear in, but now the nacelles are tightened up the gear doesn't move. An added bonus is the cowlings literally clip in, they are such a good fit

Good luck, however you do it! 

• Like 1

Evening all.  Life has rather got in the way of model building this week, but this is where I am up to now - "greenhouse" masked, and model black based (well, Tamiya "Black Rubber" based via an old spray can I found in the shed).  The yellow nacelles are under that masking.  I have also sprayed the rudder yellow.  We will see where I get to by the end of the weekend.

reBIlA_9h4Ms8ySLvykLtWkDqp2uWVtsaqYJHjK2

Thanks for looking - hoping to get a couple of layers of thinned RLM 65 on later this evening.

Icarus

• Like 3

So, this clearly won't be finished in time, but this is where I am up to this morning.  The photos are taken in shade, so the colour modulation from the black basing is a bit hidden.  I also need to do some weathering on that rather stark yellow!

Mid-masking:

ifyCNZMKxXSrxIp2nQUrDNpey-D928ClIE6_C51L

This morning:

m651o3s-3xKPN5N9AHpxivWZ2kl9aFdmYAEINzWK

QAIa485prdiT760TwitPsA1nwjkVC34bAv3FFlmn

Thanks for looking,

Icarus.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, vppelt68 said:

I like that iconic look, Icarus 👍. That yellow campaign marking was quite short lived, so there's no need for excessive weathering, I think. V-P

Agreed

Another great looking ICM model in the making!

Can't you just demask it, pop the wheels and props on and get it into the gallery as a brand new out of the factory aircraft? (Oh before they even put the markings on!)

As expected, this was not finished in time.  This is where I am now.

g0FKKxKs7IcY9svFReS1lRrHMEFcsPhh9hNxZQol

k2LD8WLQNEiMl1Rw3BhVnP0y1admJrcbzCn-Y8pi

Clearly the canopy isn't fully attached ( I eventually need to add the guns!), and I need to add the undercarriage before finally permanently attaching the engines, but hopefully the main colour modulation achieved with the help of the black basing can now be seen thanks to the camera flash. 

I will keep on working on this and complete it later this week, before turning my attention to the  Classic Airframes 1/48 SM.79 in the the Salty Sea Dog GB.

Thanks for looking,

Icarus.

Edited by Icarus
  • Like 2

Thank you @nickhenfrey.

Using the advice previously given, I managed to add the nacelles later on, after main painting.  Similarly, the main undercarriage legs are not even glued in - they are held fast by the nacelles.

Unfortunately, the inevitable happened in a build that required a tailwheel to be added early...I will drill out the cores, then reinforce them with thick wire and add the tailwheel at the end of the build!

Finally, I started on the decals last night.  Spent most of the evening doing just the port upper wing, so this won't be rapid...

XigDIIopMU3thnu2ck7kUpu7_oNkoOQwQ6hSPAm0

F-JZmgw3J8WHND6WRZorelbBOVjbzPDC9JXXaV2L

Thanks for looking,  

Icarus

Edited by Icarus
Added photos
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Icarus said:

Spent most of the evening doing just the port upper wing, so this won't be rapid...

Yah, know what you mean. I sort of got a production line going, cutting, soaking applying, positioning, and of course every now and then one would be awkward...

I didn't even know if they'd be visible after the distemper was on, but actually they show through just fine...