Rareplanes 1/72 Meteor Night Fighter

Busy day today and got a lot done. Masked off the top of the airframe and shot the light grey on the bottom and undercarriage equipment/doors. Then painted the tires, radar nose and engine intake fronts and attached the landing gear and doors so she could stand on her own "pegs". It's starting to actually look like an airplane! Next up is gloss coat to get ready for decals. 

PXL_20221220_205051984 PXL_20221220_205218025

• Like 4

The decals went on with no problems and after some touch up, the final dull coat was applied and...ta da...it's done. Remember what we started with and here's the end result. As I said I'm no vacuform expert and God knows there were many mis-steps in this project, but it does show that even an amateur like me can produce a passable model from a vacuform. If you're willing to try, there's a whole world of subjects out there never done in either injection or resin. Go on, have a bash. When you're done you feel like you really built a model, not just assembled a box of pre-made parts. 

Here's the before

PXL_20221126_132128626 PXL_20221222_171508383 PXL_20221222_171528061 PXL_20221222_171828433 PXL_20221222_171542457

• Like 5

A little late to the party but always happy when someone builds a vac-form kit, Rareplanes were in the day one of the better producers.

I gave up on the sheet of sanding medium in favour of a 1" Warding file originally used for cutting slots for Woodruff keys. A second cut I found had the right bite for plasticard. Work on an area of about two inches (50mm), you can better control the plastic removal and any minor dings can be easily filled.

Colin

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Fantastic build. You’ve ended up with a great looking Meteor. 🙌 I just picked this very kit up from an antique fair in Ludlow for the princely sun of £1.  Having your build as a guide is going to be very useful indeed. 
BTW. What decals did you use? The matchbox ones? 

Johnny.