Bell Huey UH-1D 1:32nd scale

HL-10

I managed to get hold of Revell's golden oldie, the Huey UH-1D

UH13.jpg

As it was the "attack variant" it did not have the crew seating and I wanted to build it as a troop transport so I scratch built the seats with plastic rod & masking tape, I also scratch built the pilot's armoured seats from more rod & plastic card.

Some more internal detail was added using plastic card, and i opened up the engine grills and placed etched mesh in the openings.

After market was used for the seat belts, from Eduard, and for the instrument dials, from Airscale.

Various bits were salvaged out of the spare's box, such as the M-60 machine guns and the decals.

I used Tamiya acrylics, and Humbrol enamels to paint the Slick.

UH1.jpg

UH10.jpg

UH11.jpg

UH12.jpg

UH2.jpg

UH3.jpg

UH4.jpg

UH5.jpg

UH6.jpg

UH7.jpg

UH8.jpg

UH9.jpg

Thanks for looking :)

Angelo

• Like 67
  • Thanks 3

Hi, Angelo. 

You have made a great job of improving a very old and pretty basic kit. I like your weathering a lot. Your Huey really looks like a well-used combat-veteran. 

Thanks for sharing with us. 

Chris. 

• Like 1

You have made a fabulous job of the old classic with all that extra added detail:clap:.

Although, I feel I should point out that I think you have portrayed a dangerous flight safety hazard in the form of potential pilot distraction! That set of Flight Reference Cards is highly irregular😁.

Pete

• Haha 2

What these guys said!

15 hours ago, spruecutter96 said:

Hi, Angelo. 

You have made a great job of improving a very old and pretty basic kit. I like your weathering a lot. Your Huey really looks like a well-used combat-veteran. 

Thanks for sharing with us. 

Chris. 

14 hours ago, HansReggelsen said:

A true classic kit of a true classic chopper! :D What more can one wish for! :D (don't answer that! :winkgrin:)

Your model is a beautiful example! Well done indeed! :goodjob:

Cheers :bye:

Hans J

You've created a real atmosphere with your model, that's very hard to get right. Superb job with a very old kit.

Alan

• Like 1

Thank you everyone! 

I'm really glad you like the Huey :)

These old kits have still got some life in them and only need some TLC, but hopefully someone like ICM might give us a new Huey to go with their Cobra and Tahre? 

Happy modelling,

Angelo.

• Like 2

Great job on a very old kit. I came across a couple at a very tasty prices as far back as the eighties. It was ancient even then. I preferred a slick too and tried to  build one from the kit. Crashed and burned! 

The other  may still be in the stash. 

Great to see one finished. 

Remarkably Revell were still releasing versions as late as last year. 55 years  from a mould is incredible.

Edited by noelh
  • Like 2

Excellent build of an old kit, brings back memories of building one in the 70's.  It really captures the look of hard worked Vietnam 'Slick'.

(If you haven't read Robert Masons book 'Chicken Hawk' about flying Slicks in Vietnam, I can thoroughly recommend it)

Cheers

John

• Like 2

Well done on the conversion of this from the attack version to a "slick version".  Apart from the padding being way too clean and the floors not so stained, it reminds me of several of the Hueys I had the fun and games out of jumping, rappelling, and/or being thrown out of during a time long ago, but unfortunately, not forgotten.  The outside of the kit really looks the part.  Thanks for sharing. 

• Like 2

Angelo,

I have reread my post and hope you do not think my comments about the cleanliness of the interior was a criticism of your build.  I was just going off of my memory of the aircraft that transported me from 1972 to 1974.  The Hueys we received for transport were cast offs and throwaways with the only care and concern being for the maintenance and well being of the engine, transmission, electronics and rotors.  Everything else, including the interior compartment, was deemed non-essential (much as we were deemed non-essential/expendable) and not provided for.  The only real maintenance of the interior would be a hosing of it after a pickup from a mission to remove most of the cordite and most of the blood from casualties for moral reasons.  (Nothing like getting into your next ride in country and noticing parts of the last occupants were still there.) I think you did a wonderful job on this helicopter and you can see the hard work you did on a really, old kit.   

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, georgeusa said:

Nothing like getting into your next ride in country and noticing parts of the last occupants were still there.

I know what you mean! I was a Paramedic for 30 years. Always a good idea to have a clean out before the next job! :)

Thanks for all the comments & compliments, greatly appreciated.  

• 1 year later...

Hi Angelo,

Outstanding job on this model. I recently purchased so I can get it right this time as opposed to the nine year old who built in one day many moons ago.

Like you I plan to scratchbuild many details and your build has really inspired me. I do have one question for you if you can answer:

I am working on the pilot and copilot seats and all the interesting framework BEHIND the seats. I noticed they are painted a different color than the seats. What was the order of events to create these parts? Did you assemble the seats, the side seat supports (Parts 3 and 4) and then scratchbuild all the additional details on the back of the seats, painting by hand once completed or ...?  If you could describe the sequence used to create these two highly detailed seats. Thanks in advance!