'BATUS' Gazelle

Evalman

It's always nice to see something with a bit of colour these days and this Gazelle has been on my wish list for a while, but like most things 'Aviation' I thought my chances of seeing it were very slim.

Fortunately I've seen it twice in the last couple of months, firstly at the RAF Northolt Nightshoot in October and again 3 weeks later at Newquay Airport. 

I wasn't sure what to expect at Newquay, access recently has been hit or miss with Spaceport security turning people away but on this occasion I wasn't bothered by anyone. 

When I parked up I was intrigued to see the RAF St Mawgan Station Commander and Station photographer waiting the other side of the fence.  My curiosity was explained after the Gazelle landed when the Chief of Air Staff jumped out of passenger seat. 

Needless to say the following day my dog walk took me past Fantasy Printshop where I popped in and bought the Air Graphics AAC update set. 

52489059524_40e77f0219_b.jpg

52493355220_2d3f2d0144_b.jpg

52514271731_7454268134_b.jpg

52445756859_0febc0a950_b.jpg

52492887796_906fb274b6_b.jpg

• Like 17
  • Thanks 2

On 11/27/2022 at 3:13 PM, Latinbear said:

A very nice catch! I hadn't realised there were any Gazelles left in service. 

There are a handful left at Aldergrove and Middle Wallop. 

I believe 29 (BATUS) Flt AAC in Canada still operate a few.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Unfortunately 29 Flt closed down last year. Im surprised they still keep the range safety colour scheme now that they are back in the Uk.

The upper strobe fairings never used to be red either (panels are painted red but fade to orange quite quickly) but all the other panels are as it was when i was working on them. I had quite a few flights in 671 doing airtests over the prairies.

But sadly the Gazelles day are numbered and will be out of service in the next couple of years.

Edited by MASU
To remove spacing
  • Like 2

On 11/27/2022 at 4:09 PM, ivan-o said:

We have one pop into Portadown (NI) police station at least once a day👍

Any chance of getting a few photographs? Would be interested in seeing the current spec. Is it fitted with NightSun and FLIR? Thanks.

BM.

3 hours ago, Blue Monday said:

Any chance of getting a few photographs? Would be interested in seeing the current spec. Is it fitted with NightSun and FLIR? Thanks.

BM.

Best I can do for the moment but I think they are only used for liaison as the police helicopters have all the bells and whistles.

EE37B9E3-B7F7-4170-9F96-5C0EE139AB79

I will try for more if I get the chance.

Ivan

• Like 2

13 hours ago, MASU said:

Unfortunately 29 Flt closed down last year. Im surprised they still keep the range safety colour scheme now that they are back in the Uk.

The upper strobe fairings never used to be red either (panels are painted red but fade to orange quite quickly) but all the other panels are as it was when i was working on them. I had quite a few flights in 671 doing airtests over the prairies.

But sadly the Gazelles day are numbered and will be out of service in the next couple of years.

I worked at MW when this was delivered from overhaul at Fleetlands. We were told it was coming but only when it arrived we realised it wasn’t repainted (UK paint job) Obviously down to costs but it was ready to go to BATUS but as you say it closed. It was painted as such with the orange panels and it does look clean and you won’t miss it on the pan!. Can’t remember if it replaced an end of life cab or a replacement for an NI cab.

Edited by speedy
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1