Canadair Sabre F4 - Airfix 1/48

Here is my newly finished Airfix Sabre in 1/48.  It went together pretty well apart from some nasty sink marks on the bottom of the flaps which I filled and some less bad ones on the drop tanks, some of which I left, and the peculiar breakdown of parts around the fin fillet and fuselage spine.  Perhaps some more careful dry fitting would have given me an easier ride here but I'm sure there must have been a better way to allow for a 'fillet-less' fin in later releases.  I was pleased that I didn't manage to lose the small triangular leading edge piece that has to come off to allow the lower part of the gun bay to be displayed open and did manage to find a home for it on the step and even apply the stencil!  Ah, the stencils - how the Americans love their stencils - but I persevered and (I think) only lost one.  'Sabre from the Cockpit' has some great photos and although I used them, it looks as though the small white stencils in front of the windscreen weren't applied to RAF Sabres.  I've moaned about the lack of adhesion of Airfix decals in the past but after watching their 'How to' video on the Spitfire starter set discovered the technique has changed - no longer do you soak them in water until the decal loosens, you just dip them in water for a few seconds and let it work its magic.  Presumably the old technique now washes the adhesive off the decal.

It's a nice kit, perhaps not one of new Airfix's best but still very good.  It's from the box apart from moving the drop tanks according to Sabrejet's posts and is brush painted with Humbrol enamels.  Thanks for looking!

qmuPhTjb_o.jpg

wQBSzfBF_o.jpg

9NWOKsAw_o.jpg

Jv2JSo9K_o.jpg

• Like 26
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the comments and 'likes'.  I've moved the pitot tube but am curious why it went on to the wrong wing tip - possibly I transposed the port and starboard wing tips but the contours seem to line up well so I guess it's more likely that I clogged up the hole in the starboard tip with paint and had some sort of defect in the port tip that I mistook for the mounting.  More care needed in future!