Sherman Firefly

Phil1960

Hi All, maybe someone gave already the answer.

In your opinion which kit is better (I know the great differences on price🤔)

- Dragon no 6568 Firefly Ic (80,00 euros + import taxes 22% from UK))

- RFM no 5038 Firefly Vc (50,00 euros)

Many thanks for your kind help.

Ciao

Filippo

I'm building the RFM Firefly VC now.  Very pleasurable build, superb fit, detail is brilliant, accurate if you know what you are doing (what to include and what to discard)  The Sherman Superthread has some good info on this kit and Fireflies in general and what to watch out for.  There are some very good builds on this site.  Worth every penny and I'll be building a few of them. 

You have listed 2 different Fireflies there so it isn't a fair comparison. 

RFM is a very much better VC than Dragon's very old 1990's kit.  But many people would prefer the Asuka version.  If you want a IC then Dragon is the only offering, and it is OK.  If you want a IC Hybrid then the newer Dragon version is fine, but again many people would prefer the Asuka version.

If you want to model a specific unit then that will drive your choice of kit.  Some Units had VCs, some had ICs.  They were rarely if ever mixed.

You might also think about tracks.  Asuka still give you vinyl tracks.  RFM give you individual links to assemble with 4 parts per link.  The Dragon kits originally all came with their discredited (and discontinued) DS Vinyl tracks.  The Dragon IC (#6568) and IC Hybrid (#6228) kits have recently been re-released with Magic Track click-fit individual links and some 3D printed parts.  The new box arts look like this.  Modellbau Koenig in Germany have them for €75.50 plus shipping but no VAT worries.  They have the Asuka and RFM kits too for €50 - 56.

spacer.png  spacer.png