"Red 19" - Eduard 1/48 Spitfire Mk I

Supermarine Spitfire Mk I

K9797, No 19 Squadron, RAF Duxford, Autumn 1938

K9797 was the 11th production Spitfire, It was delivered to 19 Squadron (the first RAF unit to be assigned Spitfires) on 7th October 1938. On 9th March of the following year, it was being  flown as a target for cine gun practice by Sergeant Pilot George Irwin (later known throughout his service by the nickname "Grumpy") when the engine failed. Unwin deliberately crash landed the plane to avoid a children's playground. The airframe was damaged beyond repair, so was turned over to RAF Stradishall for ground instructional practice on 11th May. Less than a month later, on 8th June, it was struck off charge, having logged a little less than 89 hours in the air. And that was that!

This has been my first 1/48 Spitfire, in fact it's been my first 1/48 anything after making the jump from 1/72 (eyesight isn't what it was!). Built from the excellent Eduard "Spitfire Mk I early" Profipack boxing, OOB apart from the Uschi thread for the antenna wire (and the little antenna on top of the tailfin that I scratch built, having snapped the original off). Brush painted with Humbrol and Revell enamels, and the odd bit of Vallejo acrylic here and there, underside aluminium Humbrol rattlecanned on. I've only applied very light weathering in the form of an enamel wash to pick out the panel lines and some light exhaust staining using weathering powder, partly because this was new aircraft when it served with 19 Sqn. and partly because I'm still learning weathering. I may add some oil stains to the underside at a later date.

After a pretty grim year largely devoid of modelling it's been an absolute joy to build this one, a proper mojo finder, and while I still have a lot to learn I'm very pleased with how it looks on the shelf.

Thanks for looking in, feedback welcome!

Tony

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 40
  • Thanks 1

What a perfect way to get out of the modelling doldrums. A lovely model of what must be one of the most graceful machines ever to take to the air. It really looks fantastic. 

Richie

• Thanks 1

On 11/26/2022 at 9:55 AM, bigbadbadge said:

Looks wonderful Tony  great backround info too, fantastic work and what better way to get your Mojo levels topped back ip and start your 48th scale Spitfire story up and running.

Lovely model.

On 11/26/2022 at 11:37 AM, Fred piket said:

Impressive!

On 11/26/2022 at 12:14 PM, AdrianMF said:

Smashing result and a great scheme.

On 11/26/2022 at 3:38 PM, keith in the uk said:

Good work there Tony , nice early Spitfire. :goodjob:

On 11/26/2022 at 4:40 PM, fightersweep said:

Glad you've re-found your mojo Tony, and in style too! Nice result and great work. A wonderful looking pre war Spit. Nice brush work too! Up the brush painters!!

On 11/26/2022 at 9:26 PM, flashlight said:

Beautiful! Great paint job! Very well done!

On 11/26/2022 at 9:31 PM, 2996 Victor said:

Stunning build, Tony, you should be rightly proud of yourself. Glad you've found your mojo, mate, and all best wishes for a better year next year!

On 11/27/2022 at 4:32 AM, Dave Klaatu said:

Nice looking build, well done!

11 hours ago, RichieW said:

What a perfect way to get out of the modelling doldrums. A lovely model of what must be one of the most graceful machines ever to take to the air. It really looks fantastic. 

11 hours ago, Dunny said:

Lovely work Tony - I think you've perfectly captured the essence of an early Spit!

Some very kind words which are much appreciated, thank you!

• Like 4

A good looking Spitfire and brush painted to boot.  I feel your pain about 1/72 and needing to get into a larger scale just to make things out.  Normally, I try to stay in either 1/32 or 1/24, with forays down to 1/48 just because of lack of available models.  Welcome to the old man scale, glad to have you hear.  Thanks for sharing.

• Thanks 1

A most excellent early Spit, with all the details looking just 'right' (even the drooped elevators). So, it even had the spin chute guard on the fin?

I just assumed that the very neat finish was airbrushed. Marvellous hairy stick work!

Kind regards,

Joachim

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Spitfire31 said:

So, it even had the spin chute guard on the fin?

Sure did - they can be seen on K9797 and friends in this pic:

spacer.png

Thanks for the kind words re. the paintwork. Some folks on this forum have brush painting down to a fine art, I’m taking baby steps to improve!