Pontos U.S.S. Texas Super Detail Set: Worth the Investment?

Space Ranger

Having just acquired Trumpeter’s 1/350 U.S.S. Texas, I’m considering some aftermarket upgrades and came upon a description of the Pontos set and, as I am not a ship guy, I’m wondering if it’s worth spending nearly 3 times what I paid for the kit for what appears to be an extremely complicated (but extremely detailed) accessory that replaces much of the original plastic. Can similar results be achieved with a cheaper assortment of aftermarket items such as Eduard’s?

The ship means a lot to me, and not just because I’m a native Texan or because of her historic significance. I visited the ship twice over 60 years ago when a junior high school student and have long wanted a detailed model. Also, a former college girlfriend was the lead Texas Parks Department historian for a past renovation, so there’s a great deal of sentiment involved in building a model that will do the ship justice.

• Like 1

Pontos is easily better than anything Eduard has ever offered for ships. It's only really Pontos and Infini Model who provide lovely strong brass masts, spars, boat booms and barrels for every gun aboard as well as the photo etch stuff. Moreover you can be certain it all works together and can actually be built - since the photographic instructions prove it's been built. That's definitely not something you can take for granted with Eduard stuff.

I do understand the cost concern - truly. I think it's probably worth having a browse through some of the excellent work in progress threads of Pontos builds versus Eduard ones. I don't deal in 3rd party stuff any more but still have all the files including the full instructions sets if you haven't already seen exactly what the Pontos offering looks like built but unpainted.

If you can get past the cost, I don't think you'll ever regret not going the Eduard route from a quality perspective although it's clear the Pontos set is much more work. A lot of Eduard stuff though you wouldn't likely use as sticking a PE lid on a plastic ammo locker for instance looks worse when painted than just leaving it alone.

There's an exception to every rule and in Eduard's case it's USS Langley. That is a very nice set.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 29/11/2022 at 11:22, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

Stock up on superglue, needles and get a spare set of your favourite tweezers :D 

Small tip for applying super glue. Since glue slides of from metal needles, usually out of control, and toothpick soaks up super glue, what I found works best is, old, good stretched sprue.... With some practice, you'll be able to produce stretched sprue in various diameter, therefore easily control size of super glue drops, as needed... And it doesn't run off, as from metal... For me, much better, more controllable way of applying super glue.

And for handling very small etched bits, may I recommend you try a toothpick, with small blob of bees wax on tip... It has just enough sticking power to lift small parts, but not enough to pull parts, when glued.

Try it, you'll love it. Hope that helps

As far as Pontos and Infini model sets go, I'll agree with one addition. Flyhawk gold edition sets... I've done IJN Yamashiro with it. Apart from problems with fitting wooden decks, it may as well be superior to Pontos and Infini sets.

On 30/11/2022 at 05:26, Space Ranger said:

All present and accounted for, skipper!

As far as Trumpeters USS Texas goes, it has serious flaw. Huge out of scale step on side bulges. If it doesn't bother you, go forth, if it does, here's how  Scale Model Workshop on YouTube suggest to rectify it:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zjn5tajC3yk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=crxps5hGk_s&t=85s

• Like 2