Revell - 1/72 - Messerschmitt Me262

Following from from my recent Spitfire:

Starting on this Messerschmitt Me262:
spacer.png

Again, more pics to follow as I build! If anyone is interested :)

As you can prob see its a combo kit... so the P-51B Mustang will follow...
Also working on a Tamiiya - 1/35 German King Tiger "Production Turret" (thread already stared for this too!) ... So enough to keep me busy for a while, pics for all will follow in their own threads :)

Edited by themcgarvie
  • Like 9

Hello themcgarvie, 

What a lovely combination for you to build 

I like both the aircrafts that you are going to build especially the   P-51 B. Mustang *MY all time favorite Warbird *.

:thumbsup:

:heart:

Good luck and ready to follow. 

:popcorn:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 26/11/2022 at 16:13, Planebuilder62 said:

When I built the Revell 262 I found the canopy width an profile did not fit the fuselage very well. Hope yours fits better than mine.

regards Toby

Thanks, will keep in mind as I go :)

Nice. I built the Revell 262 a while ago and seem to remember that the canopy was a bit rough - mould wear? Other than that, it went together easily enough.

I look forward to updates.

Trevor

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sturmovik said:

Looking great! Did you remember to add noseweight?

I did... Sort of... Was struggling for material to use so I don't think it was enough😕

May need to do some surgery! Any hints on what to use in future? Wasn't a lot of room in there! :)

Edited by themcgarvie

2 hours ago, themcgarvie said:

Wasn't a lot of room in there!

That's the main disadvantage of tricycle landing gear aircraft. Many people here use Deluxe Material's Liquid Gravity and fix it with white glue (don't use epoxy or CA, the heat generated will melt the plastic).

Edited by Sturmovik
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Sturmovik said:

That's the main disadvantage of tricycle landing gear aircraft. Many people here use Deluxe Material's Liquid Gravity and fix it with white glue (don't use epoxy or CA, the heat generated will melt the plastic).

Thanks for the tip :) PVA glue then? I'll add it to my Santa list!

• Like 1

On 11/26/2022 at 11:13 AM, Planebuilder62 said:

When I built the Revell 262 I found the canopy width an profile did not fit the fuselage very well. Hope yours fits better than mine.

regards Toby

I also had the same problem. How revell could let this get by is inexcusable. The canopy was way too narrow, there was no way I could fair it in. It just doesn’t look good.

On 12/5/2022 at 10:09 AM, themcgarvie said:

Some pics to update progress.

Cockpit!:

spacer.png

spacer.png

Main body in progress:

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

I was able to open up the gear bay so you could see the detail on the bottom of the cockpit tub, as per the real thing. That should have been a simple move for revell. I believe academy got this right.

27 minutes ago, Bejay53 said:

I was able to open up the gear bay so you could see the detail on the bottom of the cockpit tub, as per the real thing. That should have been a simple move for revell. I believe academy got this right.

Yeah, as I'm just getting back into things. It didn't really twig till someone pointed it out on a Youtube video of themselves building it.

I may try to etch or paint some random details or something so its not just so plain :)

Quick painting question... For anyone who has done one of these!

I have Revell Sky Matt, would this do for the underside? Only asking as won't get a chance to buy any new paints for a bit and I want to paint it :) The manual asks for a mix (Revell Aqua Color): Light Green Matt 55 (50%)White Matt 05 (30%) Grey Matt 57 (20%) of which I have none of those (only the paints listed below).

My paint collection is limited (see below), anyone has suggestions? Can I use Sky or does it need mixed with anything I have available to me.

Also, I need 'Light Olive', which I don't have, how can I make something close?

What I have, all Revell Aqua Color: Clear Gloss, Clear Matt Varnish, White Matt, Anthracite Grey Matt, Yellow Matt, Carmine Red Matt, Medium Grey Matt, Sky Matt, Bronze Green Matt, Dark Green (RAF) Matt, Greyish Blue Matt, Rust Matt, Metallic Silver, Metallic Aluminium

Edited by themcgarvie

• 2 weeks later...

Arghhhhh, can it be saved? broke the wheel off one landing gear and the nib to insert in the hole on the other :( Note to self, when painting make sure holes don't get so much paint in them! Could be an argument for using a bigger scale! Need to be really delicate with this 1:72 stuff :P

Have glues it and letting it cure, but will it be OK or is the Messerschmitt Me262 to become my 'test plane'!? :(

spacer.png

Edited by themcgarvie
  • Sad 1

On 12/7/2022 at 1:20 PM, Bejay53 said:

I also had the same problem. How revell could let this get by is inexcusable. The canopy was way too narrow, there was no way I could fair it in. It just doesn’t look good.

It was the same on their Bf109 and their P-51B/C was too narrow at the windows behind the canopy.

Clive

OK, so sorted my landing gear - Revell Plasto to the rescue!

Anyway, about to do the final bit of painting over next day or 2. In the meantime, here's where I'm at :)

spacer.png

Like some have mentioned, a lack of detail inside the landing gear.

And apart from the annoying way Revell do their colours (mixing them) its a fairly basic/simple paint job vs the my wee Spitfire :) ... May switch to Tamiya paints (as suggested by Father-in-law) as they're all there and named (more or less) - apparently!?

Anyway, here's the top side, masked and ready for its solid olive painting:

spacer.png

All painting done by brush, not invested in airbrush yet :) Hopeing to finish this tomorrow as I want to start on my King Tiger tank while I'm off!

Oh and those who have said about the canopy, yeah its not perfect fit!!! Looks like it will be Revell Plasto to the rescue again!

Aaaannnd... Yes that is blue-tak holding the front down, no I did'nt put enough weight in it :) I have orderd some Liquid Gravity for the next time! Any ideas how I can retro-fix this one tho?

I'm also sort of thinking I'd have liked to build this (and its Mustang partner) to display in 'flying' mode... Tho no idea how to make a stand of some form for them, for the next time, are there any pre-made ones for 1:72 and 1:48 - being the main scales I'm likley to build)?

Edited by themcgarvie
Edited.
  • Like 3