Special Hobby 1/32 Tempest Dihedral - I cannot take it any more!

Scimitar F1

I simply cannot take it anymore - beautiful models of the Tempest with the incorrect dihedral. The inboard portion of the wing is at zero dihedral the outer part at 5 1/2 deg dihedral. Every build I see is wrong - I know that the SH kit’s cockpit pushes out the upper wing  but the Tempest is not a Corsair wannabe and that is what tools are for.

No one will notice the lower cockpit is truncated but the wing is so obvious.

Will 

Edited by Scimitar F1
  • Like 1

Just now, JosephLalor said:

Would this be a matter of shortening the upper wing surfaces at the root or sawing the lower surface in half and shimming with plastic card?  I must check the wingspan of mine.  

The problem is the cockpit - either you need to dispose of the cockpit framing or thin out the wings to the point of terminal fragility. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, cmatthewbacon said:

Looks like lopping off the side frames below the middle tube would be easy enough, and not affect how it looks when built very much…

best,

M.

True, if you're expecting it! I wasn't 😂

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Scimitar F1 said:

I simply cannot take it anymore - beautiful models of the Tempest with the incorrect dihedral. The inboard portion of the wing is at zero incidence, the outer part at 5 1/2 deg dihedral. Every build I see is wrong - I know that the SH kit’s cockpit pushes out the upper wing  but the Tempest is not a Corsair wannabe and that is what tools are for.

No one will notice the lower cockpit is truncated but the wing is so obvious.

Will 

Well, you're going to hate mine in a week or so! Sorry... 

• Haha 4

my 1/32 SH Tempest is no Stuka....   you just have to keep filing and grinding until the fuselage accepts the wing in the correct format lol

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by ilj
added kit manufacturer and scale
  • Like 7

If you're going to build big models you need to visit Large Scale Planes for some hints especially 'SH Tempest V "kicked up a notch" by Chuck540z3. In his master class he goes into some detail on how to fix the wing problem amongst a host of other stuff.

TRF

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, fastterry said:

If you're going to build big models you need to visit Large Scale Planes for some hints especially 'SH Tempest V "kicked up a notch" by Chuck540z3. In his master class he goes into some detail on how to fix the wing problem amongst a host of other stuff.

TRF

I'll go with that, a great build thread.

Cheers

Dennis

• Like 1

Do I remember correctly that the underside of the center section should be "dead flat"? That would leave the top surface heading downhill slightly.  But I haven't looked at the kit parts or test-fitted or any of that stuff- mostly just danced a gleeful jig and then consigned them to the "stash of doom".

There is a slight taper that is not really visible on the inner wing. The centreline of the wing should be horizontal. 

The undercarriage legs splay out beyond the vertical as well. 

9 hours ago, fastterry said:

you're going to build big models you need to visit Large Scale Planes for some hints especially 'SH Tempest V "kicked up a notch" by Chuck540z3. In his master class he goes into some detail on how to fix the wing problem amongst a host of other stuff.

That is a great build though I would not go to the level of surface detail that he achieved 

The other major design-induced challenge with the SH 1/32 kit is the rake of the landing gear.  As in the Typhoon, there is a considerable forward rake of the landing gear.  I don't know what the angle is, but it is crucial to get right for the correct stance of your model.  The sockets for the gear legs in the kit are not tight, giving a wide latitude for the gear rake angle.  The lower edge of the gear door forms an upward angle as shown.  Some folks have the rake set so the lower line of the gear door is horizontal, or even angled up towards the rear, either way giving the model an odd stance.

Examples:

https://www.hyperscale.com/2016/galleries/tempestmkv32bg_1.htm

https://www.largescaleplanes.com/articles/article.php?aid=3323

https://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?/topic/84784-sh-tempest-mk-v-kicked-up-a-notch-january-1421-new-ebook/page/27/

spacer.png

Edited by ilj
corrected sentence

All the above a very useful pre build advice so  a thanks to the posters. 

On the cockpit and wing fit conflict isn’t that what test builds pre large scale production are supposed to address. On the other hand what would we have to talk about if they just fall together straight out the box? We all hate Tamiya for doing that don’t we…..er not. 

On 11/25/2022 at 9:03 PM, Alan P said:

No, there's definitely a structural issue 

tn_Tempest V (63)

Ha rumbled, now we know who took that Hurricane photo🤔

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

If you are lashing out large sums of hard earned on big kits you expect them to be correct these days and not have to do major surgery on them.

If this kit is so wrong go up a scale and get the big Airfix one that I understand is quite accurate.

Maybe Tamiya will come up with a 1/32nd scale Tempest?      Issue resolved!