UM 1/72 Armored vehicle BA-3 >>> FINISHED <<<

Good evening mates, 

after few months of having completely lost my modeling mojo (whish resulted in not finishing none of 2022 started GBs so far), I think I am finally on my way back.

This GB challenged me to do something relaxing, although it may not seem so relaxing when you see all those tiny bits :D but so far it's going well and easy...

My competitor here will be one of UM BA-x series cars - BA-3 to be more precise.

ba3-001.jpg

I have some aftermarket too - PE set from OKB Grigorov and RB Model metal gun barrel, which should significantly upgrade the final look...

ba3-002.jpg

So far I've assembled some subassemblies of chassis and wheels, and finished the turret with all PE bits on it...

ba3-003.jpg

On car body there are many doors and windows that are given as PE parts, with all of those bolted hatches, and that is next step after smoothing out some joins...

I mostly tend to glue wheels to their place in this phase of assembling, but there is a catch with this one - tires are given as rubber parts, and they "click" on the wheels very well, but they would be impossible to place after wheels are glued to the axles (inner wheels), so I'll leave them for the end of painting process...

ba3-004.jpg

ba3-005.jpg

ba3-006.jpg

ba3-007.jpg

ba3-008.jpg

ba3-009.jpg

See you soon,

S.

• Like 11

• 3 weeks later...
9 hours ago, JeroenS said:

The PE definitely adds to the vehicle, I think it would be a little bland without it. 

You're right Jeroen, doors actually are given as plastic parts, but way too "empty" in comparison with these PE ones.

I'm slowly adding PE parts, they're so tiny so I am going step by step - few parts per day only.

I'll make photo update when I add most of the parts to the vehicle body, hopefully for the weekend.

Cheers,

S.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Most of the PE parts are now glued on their place, there are few of them left, but I will first glue rest of the kit parts (parts of suspension, exhaust and some small bits).

Hopefully primer stage is not so far away now!

ba3-015.jpg

ba3-016.jpg

ba3-017.jpg

ba3-018.jpg

ba3-019.jpg

ba3-020.jpg

ba3-021.jpg

ba3-022.jpg

ba3-023.jpg

ba3-024.jpg

ba3-025.jpg

Cheers,

S.

• Like 12

All parts are finally assembled and glued, so next step is finally primering!

ba3-026.jpg

ba3-027.jpg

Headlights were drilled a bit in order to give them some depth - they will be painted into chrome silver in the end, and glass will be made from Kristal Klear

ba3-028.jpg

Cabin machine gun broke in two pieces when detaching from sprue, and unfortunately rear (more complex) part pinged away in unknown direction, so I had to scratchbuild it from stretched sprue and some thin styrene sheet - not great but not terrible either....

ba3-029.jpg

PE side stairs are waaaaay too thinner than ones from the box, so looking much more realistic...

ba3-030.jpg

Rear stairs are also PE part, and much much better looking than one from the box...

ba3-031.jpg

Exhaust pipe is also drilled out (it can be seen in second photo).

I am pretty satisfied with how it turned out with all these PE bits, so hopefully won't break them during painting and weathering phase...

Cheers, and see you soon with new photos ("back in black")

S.

• Like 10

Paint is on! (Gunze C136)

ba3-035.jpg

ba3-036.jpg

ba3-037.jpg

I'll wait few days for paint to cure, and then I'll apply gloss coat as a preparation for decals.

UM decals are generally pretty tricky - they are "brittle", so they tend to break over panel lines  or sharp edges, so I'll see what will happen when I try to apply them... if it doesn't work I may leave vehicle as it is - without decals...

So far I am satisfied as it went, having on my mind I made a really long break from hobby....

Cheers,

S.

• Like 9

As I expected UM decals are very bad for applying - I've started with dotted line that goes around the top part of the turret, and as soon as they touched water, they disintegrated into multiple pieces :( 

I've decided to apply only red unit markings, but I've coated them with Decal Liquid Film first.

As silvering is very expected to occur, I decided to apply decals on wet coat of Future, and immediately to overcoat them with another layer of Future.

Here is the result, although we won't know about silvering until after final semigloss coat...soon...

ba3-040.jpg

ba3-041.jpg

Cheers,

S.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Finally one finished from me within deadline! :) 

Since last update, I've done the dot filtering and wash, sprayed semigloss coat, made headlights from Microscale Kristal Klear, and finished weathering with MIG pigments.

I'm pretty satisfied with how it turned out in the end, so thanks to organizers of this GB for lifting up my mojo that was lost for half a year!

ba3-042.jpg

ba3-043.jpg

ba3-044.jpg

ba3-045.jpg

ba3-046.jpg

ba3-047.jpg

ba3-048.jpg

ba3-049.jpg

ba3-050.jpg

ba3-051.jpg

ba3-052.jpg

ba3-053.jpg