Revell 1/32 P-51D - not the current one

John

I'm wondering about Mustangs. My Revell GB catalogues in the 1970s featured the P-51B and the Mustang MkIII but I don't remember a D.

I think Revell may have reboxed the elderly Monogram D after the merger of the companies but did any of the Revell businesses ever tool their own version?

The only 1/32 D that I can remember being readily available in the UK in the 1970s was the Hasegawa kit  - of which I had a couple 😀

John 

• Like 1

If you're not interested in the currenf RaduB-designed Revell P-51Ds you're either missing out or an unguided nostalgia trip.

If you've found some old kits I'm sure you'll have nostalgia buyers, but not for much €

Tony

1 hour ago, Mark Proulx said:

Revell had a 1/32nd P-51D released in their Smithsonian series.

They did, derived from this kit https://www.scalemates.com/kits/revell-h-274-miss-america-p-51d-mustang-racer--194353

It wasn't very good, and you don't see them often.

The earlier 1/32 Monogram kit dating back to 1961 (sometimes opaque plastic, sometimes the see-through "Phantom Mustang") was better IMO.

But there is no doubt that the 1972 Hasegawa kit was by far the best 1/32 option available in its era, and remains perfectly buildable today if you drop in a resin cockpit and do a bit of refinement here and there

• Like 2

That's interesting, thanks. I don't remember that kit at all. I knew about the Smithsonian boxing but I always assumed it was from the Monogram mould. 

I agree that the Hasegawa kit is still a nice build. 

John 

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/25/2022 at 8:37 PM, Work In Progress said:

They did, derived from this kit https://www.scalemates.com/kits/revell-h-274-miss-america-p-51d-mustang-racer--194353

It wasn't very good, and you don't see them often.

The earlier 1/32 Monogram kit dating back to 1961 (sometimes opaque plastic, sometimes the see-through "Phantom Mustang") was better IMO.

But there is no doubt that the 1972 Hasegawa kit was by far the best 1/32 option available in its era, and remains perfectly buildable today if you drop in a resin cockpit and do a bit of refinement here and there

Indeed - I am pretty sure it used the standard B wings without the enlarged leg fairings, and it was unimpressive on all other aspects. Revell was never shy to rebox crap, but for this one I am unaware of any later boxing than the Smithsonian. Not even by Bünde. RIP, mould - probably now with Atlantis.