Iconic Intros.

Bullbasket

On 02/12/2022 at 16:14, Bullbasket said:

Why do people keep misspelling that rap stuff. There should be a C at the beginning!!

Sorry, John, I'm going to be THAT guy....

Whilst a lot or rap is just cursing by numbers, boasting about how much money you have or how big the buttocks of the last lady you went horizontal jogging with are, some of it is superb; really intelligent word-play which is used to make social commentary in the using the only methods available to young people (please note that I did use the word "some"!).

For example:

• Like 2

19 hours ago, jackroadkill said:

Sorry, John, I'm going to be THAT guy....

Sorry,we're just gonna have to agree to disagree. I will never like the stuff. To me, it's not music. Music is something that you can whistle or hum the tune. When was the last time that you heard somebody whistling a rap piece? Fifty years or more since the Beatles were around, and even youngsters can recognise some of their songs. I can't see that happening with rap.

John. (Dyed in the wool MUSIC) fan.

• Like 4

On 12/2/2022 at 12:39 PM, Whofan said:

People are so impatient that they won't listen to a song for more than a few seconds?

Do these people read the first page of a book and decide no, I'll read another one?

Yes, they do. 
Instant gratification is the doom of mankind. 
Can you imagine giving those folks a model kit? 
The shock on their faces when they realise they actually have to DO something first to get a result (no, pouring glue in the box and shaking it doesn't count)

---

back on track:

Kulturnyy

And this:

• Like 4

On 12/2/2022 at 2:51 PM, Bullbasket said:

For me, intros on a lot of music, is what draws me into it in the first place, and grabs my interest. This one for me, is a classic example.

Ayyyyyy :)
It's the 3/4 beat for me. And the bassline. And the voice.
Oh forget it, it's the entire song. 

---

Aviation fans should recognise this one (the movie version was slightly longer even)

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, alt-92 said:

Yes, they do. 
Instant gratification is the doom of mankind. 
Can you imagine giving those folks a model kit? 
The shock on their faces when they realise they actually have to DO something first to get a result (no, pouring glue in the box and shaking it doesn't count)

Well, I build limited-run kits all the time, but I still believe the penalty for an intro more than one minute long should be death, and a whipping for more than thirty seconds. 

• Haha 6

On 12/3/2022 at 7:00 PM, psdavidson said:

We seem to be missing Genesis; let me put that right

Now you're talking! Delicate, intricate, complex, challenging, cerebral music that delivers something more than pop drivel. Its the thinking man's music, the Belgian beer or Harvey's Sussex Best Bitter as opposed to a lager! ;). How's that for controversial? Each to their own, though :)

Martin

• Like 2

On 03/12/2022 at 06:11, hairystick said:

What has become increasingly irksome, are radio "dj's" who like the sound of their own voice so much, they cover the intro to a song with their inane waffle.

I understood this was introduced many years ago to defeat those of use who copied songs to tape from the radio. Seems hardly necessary there days, but I guess it's all about the DJ as a performer in his/her own right.

Cheers

Colin

On 04/12/2022 at 09:13, Bullbasket said:

To me, it's not music. Music is something that you can whistle or hum the tune.

That was my original reaction to rap but think of it as poetry .... really no different to beatniks of a previous generation reciting Ginsberg to the beat of bongo drums.  Nothing  changes. At my age, I'm never going to be a fan - much of the language is alien to me. Of course its supposed to be  .... but some of it is worth taking some trouble over as it is an insight into a different culture. And its something the kids can do themselves without needing to buy or learn an instrument. Of course a lot of it is objectively pretty awful - but so is a lot of pop music. I'm always amused by old editions of top of the pops - most of the songs from any given week were total dross and have been thankfully long forgotten.

Cheers

Colin

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, ckw said:

And its something the kids can do themselves without needing to buy or learn an instrument.

Or conversely, if they can't sing a note in key! (Still think that the spelling's wrong).

John.

• Haha 2