Iconic Intros.

Bullbasket

45 minutes ago, Whofan said:

One thing I’ve noted is how old most of the intros chosen are

It is a feature of the current recording industry that intros are 'discouraged' - streaming has meant you need to get to the meat of the song (ie the singing) ASAP, otherwise people skip to the next song.

https://www.prsformusic.com/m-magazine/news/streaming-making-pop-songs-faster-shorter-new-study-reveals

Anyway another couple that deserve mention ...

- Baker Street (Jerry Rafferty)

Another Girl Another Planet (the Only Ones).  My idea of the perfect pop song. Contrary to the modern trend, it has quite a long intro for a very short song - perhaps one of the longest intros in pop as a percentage of song length. That is of course excluding The Intro and the Outro by the Bonzo Dog Doodah Band!

Cheers

Colin

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ckw said:

It is a feature of the current recording industry that intros are 'discouraged' - streaming has meant you need to get to the meat of the song (ie the singing) ASAP, otherwise people skip to the next song.

I've got to say that is the most depressing thing I've seen for years.

People are so impatient that they won't listen to a song for more than a few seconds?

Do these people read the first page of a book and decide no, I'll read another one?

Or do they watch the first scene in a film and say no, I'll watch another one?

I am flabbergasted.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Whofan said:

People are so impatient that they won't listen to a song for more than a few seconds?

Sad to say that that is the case. Modern youth want every thing now! It's probably a generation thing, but I can't think of a single 21st century song that I like (not that crazy on most of the 90's stuff either). For me, intros on a lot of music, is what draws me into it in the first place, and grabs my interest. This one for me, is a classic example.

• Like 5

46 minutes ago, Bullbasket said:

ad to say that that is the case. Modern youth want every thing now! It's probably a generation thing, but I can't think of a single 21st century song that I like (not that crazy on most of the 90's stuff either). For me, intros on a lot of music, is what draws me into it in the first place, and grabs my interest. This one for me, is a classic example.

I'm sure that was said of youth in 1922 or for that matter 1822. I seem to remember reading something about Socrates making a similar complaint!

I think it has been shown that most people form their musical tastes in their teenage years. And part of that process is creating your own identity, which in most cases involves being different to your parents. Part of that is selecting music their parents don't like.

It is also true that music evolves to suit the delivery medium. Early 60's albums were little more than a collection of singles, and it was only later in the decade and into the 70s that the potential of the LP changed the type of music produced. It only seems natural that with streaming becoming the predominant delivery vehicle music would evolve to better suit the way it is consumed. I think anything but the most simple of tunes and melodies is an acquired taste - and of course tastes change. I find it hard to believe now that a 15 minute guitar or drum solo was something I enjoyed listening to.

I also suspect that (perhaps thanks to rap), the words of the song have been come more important to teenagers than it was in the 70s, so again the music changes to suit.

Cheers

Colin

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ckw said:

I seem to remember reading something about Socrates making a similar complaint!

That was probably when he had the hump with some of the youngsters in the Brazlian team:giggle:.

You're right about music tastes being formed in the teen years, although I think that mine were formed a little earlier, due to the fact that I had a brother who is nine years older than me. I was brought up on 78rpm records of Bill Haley, Little Richard, Elvis and the Everley's, to name but four.

My Dad was about 50 years old when R&R first came out, and Jimmy Shand was more his type of music (he being a Scot), but I remember in the 60's, he walked in one day with a 45RPM under his arm. When I asked him what it was he said that he'd bought it because he liked it.....Go Now by the Moody Blues. You never can tell.

One more thing. Why do people keep misspelling that rap stuff. There should be a C at the beginning!!

John.

• Haha 5

22 hours ago, Whofan said:

I've got to say that is the most depressing thing I've seen for years.

The Internet age has brought with it the belief that all pleasure HAS to be instantaneous, unfortunately. I read several years ago that modern youth expect to get on to any website in 6 seconds or less. If that doesn't work, they simply move on to a site that's quicker to find. What I find interesting about this is that the same individuals are very happy to spend thousands of hours conquering the latest computer-game, so they can brag to their friends about it. So, I guess they can have genuine patience, when they really want to. 

Has this "instant gratification" overflowed into other aspects of life? "Sound-bite" comments on news reports, Tik Tok videos, Youtube clip-compilations, Instagram posts, I've even heard a comment about Hollywood films being far too long (admittedly, this was in the comedy-film "The Bubble"), etc, etc... 

If things are like this now, what will they be like in 10 or 20 year's time?

Cheers. 

Chris.  

Edited by spruecutter96
Correcting a typo.
  • Like 3

14 hours ago, ckw said:

streaming has meant you need to get to the meat of the song (ie the singing) ASAP, otherwise people skip to the next song.

Kids have no attention span, its why adverts are in 2 second snips

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

For me, intros on a lot of music, is what draws me into it in the first place, and grabs my interest.

Very much so.

What has become increasingly irksome, are radio "dj's" who like the sound of their own voice so much, they cover the intro to a song with their inane waffle.

Luckily I only listen to broadcast radio while getting ready for work in the morning, but that seems increasingly undesireable.

[/rant mode]

• Like 3

To those who don’t like intros, they’d HATE this version of Waterfront by Simple Minds

In my yoof, I’d buy the 12” EP versions of  songs like this specially for the extra bits

Trevor

• Like 2