Update?

Earlier this afternoon I was prevented from completing a post as I got an error message saying "system down for upgrade" or words to that effect. Seems to be working again now though when attempting to make this post I had the latest version of 503 - not available due to capacity etc. Any idea what has changed?

Pete

We performed an upgrade this avo, in the hope that it would at least take the 503s back to 500s, but no.  I've been trying for ages to get these errors fixed, but you might as well play tennis, as the Hosts and Invision just play the blame game with each other, and I don't have enough skill with Linux to argue with them at a technical level.  I'm also very busy when I'm not :tired: so don't have enough time to spend arguing the toss with them :(

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Thanks Mike,

Unfortunately I can confirm that the site is still slow and prone to the same old errors, but thanks for trying. Back when I was doing my Mechanical Engineering degree one of my tutors swore by hitting things with a hammer if all else failed, but then the "things" were usually big lumps of metal! Even if it did not work it made you feel better.😆

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Haha 1

As I'm experiencing the severest slowdowns and errors in the early evening, traditionally the busiest time on the 'Net, I suspect it's server/hosting overload in one form or another.  I'd therefore look first at the Host, I think.

On 11/25/2022 at 4:29 PM, Mike said:

We performed an upgrade this avo, in the hope that it would at least take the 503s back to 500s, but no.  I've been trying for ages to get these errors fixed, but you might as well play tennis, as the Hosts and Invision just play the blame game with each other, and I don't have enough skill with Linux to argue with them at a technical level.  I'm also very busy when I'm not :tired: so don't have enough time to spend arguing the toss with them :(

That reminds me of when I was working for my local authority years ago. We had contracted out for a replacement IT system, and once installed, the problems dragged on far longer than expected. There were emails flying between our in house people and the provider but no apparent improvement, then one day somebody made a rather revealing mistake - a reply was received which accidentally included the thread of a conversation between the members of the support team at the provider going back a few days. Included was a comment on the lines of "OK, we have messed these people about long enough, so perhaps it is time we actually tried to fix the problem" - at least that gave us a bit of leverage for a while!

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 2

I just had 'Service Unavailable' then clicked on Britmodeller again and it cleared and opened the site.