MAN trucks in British service?

bootneck

I have just been watching this video, posted by @rayprit, of vehicles loading at Marchwood.  Those views of vehicles has inspired me to get some 1:35 scale MAN kits but I don't know which variants are/where used by British forces.  I can make out an eight-wheeler, were there any others?  Can anyone advise of plastic kit suppliers of these types of kits in 1:35 scale?

cheers,
Mike

That's great, thank you for the link to Shapeways.  I can see an eight wheel version [Revell 03044] which means that I can now go on a search for one.  It is a left-hand drive version but that shouldn't be a big problem to scratchbuild the parts to make it a right-hand drive.

cheers,
Mike

The British MAN trucks are very different from the Revell kits - ours are much newer variants so you'd need to largely rebuild the Revell cab units and I think the cargo beds(?). I suspect you can get away with leaving the chassis unchanged.

https://www.joint-forces.com/features/32243-man-support-vehicle-in-uk-service-pt1

Edited by John Tapsell
  • Like 2

Thanks for that information John.  I should imagine that none of the vehicles in that video have been produced in kit for then.  I have only recently converted over from aircraft to vehicle modelling but am finding it very difficult to get postwar British softskin vehicles, except Land Rovers, in 1:35 scale kit form.  It's as if the model producers think the British Army was disbanded from 1945 to 1990.  Ah well, I'll make do with more Land Rovers.

cheers,
Mike

I think you'll find the chassis is different from the Revell kit of the German version as well as the bodywork, but I'm open to correction.  The Revell and Hobbyboss kits are the earlier "Kat 1" family which dates back to the late 70's and was replaced in 2004 by the current SX and HX family.  I don't know all the mechanical differences.

On cost grounds the UK chose the Medium Mobility HX chassis for the majority of the fleet with just a few variants on the more capable Improved Medium Mobility SX chassis. About a quarter of the 6x6 GS trucks and Unit Support Tankers are SX along with all the 8x8 Recovery Vehicles and 5 8x8s for the LEAPP box body.

You might find this source useful https://www.joint-forces.com/features/32243-man-support-vehicle-in-uk-service-pt1

Edited by Kingsman
correction
  • Like 1

Thanks Kingsman.  As John said, they're not the same vehicles so I won't bother following up on them.  From what I have managed to find about postwar British softskins up to the late 1980s, such as the Bedford RL and MK family; Scammell transporters and recoveries; AEC Mandators and the like, only seem available in resin from Accurate Armour or Dartmoor Models.   Nice that those are, they are way out of my budget.  I started my 1:35 venture with Tamiya, Revell and Italeri Land Rovers and I may just have to end up staying with that theme.

Thanks all for the advice. :thumbsup:

cheers,
Mike

the british mans are 2 types the sx with coil springs and the hx with leaf springs

the easy way to tell is on the sx the spare is aligned with the road wheel and the hx spare is across the cab.

i have scratch built both types in 72 scale, but the revell one can be converted into the sx types.

the lower cab front and roof are different and of course the gb ones have gb bodies fitted in the uk.

Edited by sandsmodels

If your into vehicle watching and not sure of what to make............check out this thread Witham Military Vehicles Auctions very, very popular,  they sell off all surplus military equipment to anybody that has money in there pocket.   Lots get resprayed by them in foreign military colours and shipped abroad, Brazil, Africa, Middle East, etc, etc

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=witham+military+vehicle+auction

• Like 1

I did similar , thought i could 'convert' to UK spec. 

in the end i just started building Bundeswehr fleet of trucks and armour.

The Revell range in 1/35 are great, and its quite a broad range.

The HobbyBoss trucks are the bees knees(if a lot of faff) with buckets of detail. 

Next up for me is the Man 5T refueller, followed by the Man 7t LARS, both by Hobbyboss.

On 11/25/2022 at 3:59 PM, bootneck said:

That's great, thank you for the link to Shapeways.  I can see an eight wheel version [Revell 03044] which means that I can now go on a search for one.  It is a left-hand drive version but that shouldn't be a big problem to scratchbuild the parts to make it a right-hand drive.

cheers,
Mike

The 8x8 isn't in current production, but they do come up on 2nd hand sites like Kingkit & Modelsforsale.com.

Not for @bootneck maybe but for others here, Modellbau Koenig do a huge range (about 200!) of photo CDs of modern Bundeswehr and some other equipment.  Nothing British though.  MAN trucks of both generations are included.

They did, IIRC, have a special run of some of the Revell MANs under their own name.  But these seem to be sold out now.  However, they are currently listing 5 of the Revell boxing of the 8x8 at €39.95 if anyone is interested.