Tamiiya - 1/35 German King Tiger "Production Turret"

themcgarvie

A brush works just as well and better than an air brush most of the time.

Find a colour scheme you like (there are plenty of sharp edge Tiger 2 camo schemes out there) and follow it no need to rush with applying it and you can always have a do over.

Hope it helps.

Pete

Edited by PeteH1969
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, themcgarvie said:

brush painting cammo tips/videos anyone can point me to guide me when it comes to that stage!

Look at @PlaStix's posts here and his video on utube.  He turns out some excellent results with a hairystick.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Good luck with it. Tiger II 'ambush' camo is factory applied and essentially hard edged with light spots representing dappled light. Probably easier to accomplish with a brush! 

• Like 2

On 25/11/2022 at 10:08, themcgarvie said:

Thinking ahead, I'm far away from painting stage. I don't have an airbrush, so looking for any brush painting cammo tips/videos anyone can point me to guide me when it comes to that stage! :)

Maginot is trying out hand painting a complex camo scheme. It could prove useful to you, and me.

On 25/11/2022 at 11:08, themcgarvie said:

Thinking ahead, I'm far away from painting stage. I don't have an airbrush, so looking for any brush painting cammo tips/videos anyone can point me to guide me when it comes to that stage! :)

Hope it helps. It worked for me on a 1:32 spitfire.

Edited by Maddoxx77
  • Like 3

• 2 months later...

OK, not much, but I keep forgetting to take and share pics...

spacer.png

Next phase... upper hull!
This is my first ever tank... So... Just asking, does anyone paint the interior of the hull? I.e. before doing the step below?
Also, dumb question...

olGCnX-CtW3l2eUqhNoNLqQuzao7PUxgMkYfLMse

Does this mean to glue and the the tape while setting? Instructions are generally quite good but a can be a bit vague for a first-timer :)

Edited by themcgarvie
  • Like 4

8 minutes ago, themcgarvie said:

Just asking, does anyone paint the interior of the hull

Might help to conceal the emptiness under the rear vents if all inside is matt black?

Same for the turret if hatches modelled open.

4 minutes ago, echen said:

Might help to conceal the emptiness under the rear vents if all inside is matt black?

Same for the turret if hatches modelled open.

Yeah, that's what my thinking is too.  Looking at some historic images they were painted white/ivory inside I believe. So may do that!

1 hour ago, themcgarvie said:

olGCnX-CtW3l2eUqhNoNLqQuzao7PUxgMkYfLMse

Does this mean to glue and the the tape while setting? Instructions are generally quite good but a can be a bit vague for a first-timer :)

Glue, then use the tape to just hold it together while the glue sets. 

• Thanks 1

Hi themcgarvie,

I don't know about your experience with kits, you say you're back (like so many around here...lol), but it's a good start. On my return to the hobby, I already opted for AB to paint, although later the use of brushes is very necessary for the other processes. As they tell you, @Plastix, he makes his own with a brush, and the result is magnificent (now you can see a STUGIII B, at 1/48 in the WIP section), and if he didn't say so, no one would guess that he ONLY uses a brush.. . Surely it is not easy to get there, but you can always try.

I am now doing something similar to yours, a Jagdtiger at 1/35, but with AB and in a single color, although if it helps you, go through the WIP thread.

Cheers and TC

Francis.👍

• Like 2

Well, as a first foray into armour, you've made a good start. 

Lots to learn, but there's some great info in the work in progress threads .... always worth a look! 

Keith 😁 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Keeff said:

Well, as a first foray into armour, you've made a good start. 

Mainly fancied building one as my nephew annoyingly got me playing War Thunder and World Of Tanks! Bloody time drain those are too 🤣😂

• Haha 2

• 1 month later...

OK after holidays and changing jobs etc etc started to have time again.

Started constructing my turret, but annoyingly I think I forgot to fully tighten the screw/bolt on the loading breech.... Any ideas on how I can tighten it withoiut dismaltining!?

spacer.png

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, themcgarvie said:

Any ideas on how I can tighten it withoiut dismaltining!?

90 degree angled screwdriver/spanner?

• 2 months later...

I've got the Porsche variant waiting to be started and looking at the instructions it may be a very tight gap to get a 90-degree screwdriver in there. What you could do is drill through the turret side and use a regular screwdriver, then cover up the hole. Cover it with putty first, then put some stowage or spare track links on top. 

Edited by TeaWeasel
Spelling

On 14/07/2023 at 11:14, TeaWeasel said:

I've got the Porsche variant waiting to be started and looking at the instructions it may be a very tight gap to get a 90-degree screwdriver in there. What you could do is drill through the turret side and use a regular screwdriver, then cover up the hole. Cover it with putty first, then put some stowage or spare track links on top. 

I solved it in the end with....

A good blob of blue-tak to 'secure' the mechanism to stop it freely moving :) ... It works 😕 :)

• Like 2