Which Vallejo Model Colour paints (codes and names) are needed for an F4U-1 Corsair?

Sturmovik

Hello guys,

Which Vallejo Model Color paints would be needed for an F4U-1A Corsair (bubble top)? I'm looking for Model Color because they're water based, just like Revell Aqua.

So far, these are the paint names and codes in Model Colour I've been able to find: 70951 Matt White, 70898 Dark Sea Blue, and 70903 American Blue. I'm not sure about 70903, it should be Intermediate Blue, but that one is only available as a Model Air colour (71299).

Are these paints correct? 

P.D: I need Model Colour because I brush paint.

Thanks!

18 minutes ago, Sturmovik said:

So far, these are the paint names and codes in Model Colour I've been able to find: 70951 Matt White, 70898 Dark Sea Blue, and 70903 American Blue. I'm not sure about 70903, it should be Intermediate Blue, but that one is only available as a Model Air colour (71299).

Are these paints correct? 

probably not.  Vallejo employ color blind babbons to match their paint colors... apparently.  

By this, they do a vast range, but finding matches is  more trials and error..

More helpfully ..or not,  US Navy colors are badly served in model paint,  for example you will see the Sea Blues, ANA 606/607/623 match to FS 3/2/15402.

They don't.   

And the 3 color scheme is 4 color...

read this, and the links

18 minutes ago, Sturmovik said:

P.D: I need Model Colour because I brush paint.

You brush model air, just takes longer.

I don't know what Vallejo would match, I've not got that far.   

some  color shots of the 4 color scheme

Grumman-F6F-3-Hellcat-Time-Life-color-ph

WYn4VSK.jpg

A2B5Cf1.jpg

The above gives a good idea of very factory fresh in very bright sunlight. 

a lot of model paint (see problem with them being matched to the  post war FS595 and post 1947 Gloss Sea blue) have them as very dark blue greens,  the wartime colors are "deep smoky blues",  

Bet you wished you hadn't asked......  

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Troy Smith said:

You brush model air, just takes longer

Well that's a can of worms isn't it? 

Does Model Air take longer to dry? Is it too thin and needs several coats? Once the first coat is dry to the touch, would a new coat ruin the first one/remove the paint?

Guess I'll get the Model Air US. Navy paint set if those can be brushed.

9 minutes ago, Sturmovik said:

Does Model Air take longer to dry? Is it too thin and needs several coats?

it's  basically pre thinned model color

Once the first coat is dry to the touch, would a new coat ruin the first one/remove the paint?

shouldn't  Ask @PhantomBigStu

Guess I'll get the Model Air US. Navy paint set if those can be brushed.

If as I suggest they quote the FS595/ANA match, they won't.    Sorry, without a set of paint chips this is a pain.   Still, the above inof seems poorly understood, by modellers, and more depressingly, paint companies.

• Like 1

Fwiw, if you've already got those colours, go with them, the Vallejo website calls 70.903 Intermediate Blue. I have both (898 & 903) & reckon they are pretty close to the required shades. Vallejo Model air will go down over Model Colour just fine but unless it is a very similar colour may still need more than one coat.

Steve.

• Thanks 1