1/144 B-52H 60-0023, 23rd Bomb Squadron 'Barons'. Finished 03/01.

DaveJL

Hello all,

Had a bit of a dilemma with what to build between now and the next GB that I'll be entering in early January. Was looking for a quick, easy build and a few options popped up - 1/48 Spitfire, Hellcat or Corsair but in the end I plumped for this - Academy's relatively new 1/144 B-52H.

I've read quite a lot of good reviews of this kit so looking forward to getting going. This is likely to be the penultimate build in my current modelling room before the big move in February. I digress, back to the kit:

52520782106_0b0de43146_b.jpg

52520310727_58ca0d9490_b.jpg

Lots of nice plastic there! Deceptive as when one looks at the instructions, it looks fairly straight forward! I'll be building it wheels up which eliminates a few assembly stages.

The only extras will be a set of Caracal decals, shown here beside the obligatory patch!

52521059304_d2b8607a5f_b.jpg

Will be marked as 60-0023 of the 23rd Bomb Squadron, based at Minot AFB in North Dakota.

52520782406_4b8e165a0f_b.jpg

Some reference material:

52520782346_530383bcf6_b.jpg

The Squadron deployed as part of Operation 'Inherent Resolve' in 2017 so it'll be loaded up with JDAM and a targeting pod.

We all love a BUFF, don't we?! :lol:

More soon.

Dave

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

• DaveJL changed the title to 1/144 B-52H 60-0023, 23rd Bomb Squadron 'Barons'.
56 minutes ago, David H said:

Amazing to think that some of the last B-52Hs built were assigned to Minot AFB in 1962 and are still based there.

-d-

Crazy! I wouldn't be surprised if they're still there in 2062! :lol:

Who knows how long they'll remain in service with the upcoming re-engine programme.

Made a start today. Interior went together nice and quickly, having the gear up certainly speeds up the process here:

52529737894_b2097ab01e_b.jpg

Added a little detail to the cockpit, although the windows are so small it'll not be seen:

52528985312_44e39101fa_b.jpg

Fuselage closed up. The fit is excellent, all just clicks into place nicely:

52529998003_875333accb_b.jpg

52529738894_0a79b04647_b.jpg

To give you an idea of size, here it is beside a 1/48 F-14:

52528984947_b9289d4cee_b.jpg

I then moved onto the ordnance. Academy give you quite a selection here. I did some quick googling and found this image:

170717-F-ER377-0282.JPG

2000lb GBU-31 JDAMs on one side and 500lb GBU-38/54 JDAMs on the other, along with the Sniper targeting pod. So this is what I'll go with. 

52529930410_6e3ff58e75_b.jpg

The bombs are very nicely done, though the -31s will be a bit of a pain to paint with the bodies of two being integral to the pylon. The GBU-38s will be a lot easier! To give an idea of the size of the latter, here is a comparison with a 1/48 example:

52529997503_1cca6710ff_b.jpg

I'm not used to this small scale :lol:

Hoping to get the wings built up tomorrow.

Dave

• Like 12

• DaveJL changed the title to 1/144 B-52H 60-0023, 23rd Bomb Squadron 'Barons'. Update 28/11.
On 11/25/2022 at 4:40 AM, DaveJL said:

The only extras will be a set of Caracal decals, shown here beside the obligatory patch!

52521059304_d2b8607a5f_b.jpg

0059 is the first B-52 I ever saw! I want to build a model of her so it's great to know decals are available - no clue what I'd do with the rest of the options though.

I've been excited for this kit since it was announced so I'm very keen to follow your build!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, k5054nz said:

0059 is the first B-52 I ever saw! I want to build a model of her so it's great to know decals are available - no clue what I'd do with the rest of the options though.

I've been excited for this kit since it was announced so I'm very keen to follow your build!

Thanks mate! I'm sure I could spare you 0059 when I'm done with this build!

• Thanks 1

I’m following with great interest.
I have the Great Wall Hobby kit so I’m interested in the differences. The GWH kit seems difficient in armament loads, plenty on the wings, but not much in the bomb bays.

19 hours ago, Bejay53 said:

I’m following with great interest.
I have the Great Wall Hobby kit so I’m interested in the differences. The GWH kit seems difficient in armament loads, plenty on the wings, but not much in the bomb bays.

I hope the thread is useful to you. I had looked at the GWH kit but decided on the Academy kit. Might end up with a GWH G model though!

More done today. Firstly, the wings were assembled and out rigger doors added. Academy provide both the open and closed options so one doesn't need to cut or try to fiddle two bits together. I did have to remove a couple of locating tabs in the wells to allow the doors to fit. Not shown in the instructions but the closed doors won't fit otherwise:

52532403525_f6b5748c91_b.jpg

I then moved onto the fuselage. A seam line down the middle needed cleaned up then once done, I added the bomb bay doors (again Academy provide both open and closed options here), main undercarriage doors (ditto), various panels and the stabilisers. I did need to run some Perfect Plastic Putty into the joins here. Once all that had dried, I added the glazing and provided masks.

52531930941_ce42202c81_b.jpg

52532211399_534a7d8771_b.jpg

52532211319_3dc3bd1c1f_b.jpg

The pre-cut masks are a welcome addition. The kit also provides two types of nose - one with the 'bump'- which is an ALT-28 ECM jammer antenna, and one without. Check your references as some jets have this, some don't. I think that it may be being removed from current jets, but from my references 60-0023 had it present in my timeframe. Academy also proved two types of chin pods - one pair has the lenses for the FLIR and ASQ-151 Electro-opitical Viewing System exposed and the other pair has the lenses in the stowed position. I opted for the latter as again, some references I have show both tucked away in flight. I did read somewhere that these systems aren't often used due to the superior qualities of the Sniper pod.

52531460512_b3a4c415b0_b.jpg

Couldn't resist a dry fit of the wings:

52531931691_6fdd9ddd38_b.jpg

Next job will be to drill a hole for the stand then I'll crack on with the wings.

More soon

Dave

• Like 14

• DaveJL changed the title to 1/144 B-52H 60-0023, 23rd Bomb Squadron 'Barons'. Update 29/11.
On 11/30/2022 at 11:14 PM, k5054nz said:

Excellent progress Dave, she's looking sharp.

That's very kind, thank you!

Thanks mate and no worries, the rest may as well get put to use when I've finished!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, coneheadff said:

Boy, that's a huge aircraft 😳😳

I mean...look how small the cockpit looks compared to the stabilizers. Unfortunately I have never seen a B-52 life. 

Great progress, Dave!!

Thanks Alex! It's a big model, even in 1/144. I've been fortunate enough to have seen a couple fly at RIAT a lot of years ago, I think it was 2006 so I was only 16 :lol:. Have seen a good few in museums around the States and at Duxford, but it's definitely one to see flying!

A good bit of progress to show. Firstly, the wings were fitted out. The engine pods are cleverly designed by Academy, allowing one to fit the aft section of the pods to the wings, with the fans and exhausts able to slide in after painting, before fitting the intake shrouds. The fuel tanks, Sniper pod and JDAM-less pylon all fitted (pylon with the GBU-31s moulded on will have to be painted off the airframe):

52541862056_a022f1c695_b.jpg

52542342605_d08eb92b1b_b.jpg

The fans/exhausts and front shrouds as described above:

52542409748_08e4dddcc8_b.jpg

Once all that was done, I was able to fit the wings to the fuselage:

52541862321_4e31364590_b.jpg

52542157169_95df93906f_b.jpg

52541862996_af69185e47_b.jpg

52541401432_d9fcb152e6_b.jpg

Test fit with the stand:

52541401582_e64fc46640_b.jpg

Hoping to get a lick of primer on later in the week.

More soon

Dave

• Like 12

• DaveJL changed the title to 1/144 B-52H 60-0023, 23rd Bomb Squadron 'Barons'. Update 04/12.

I wonder if at some point Academy will offer an early version. I'd love to do a 1962 model, in bare metal with some Hound Dogs.

Colonel Caldwell

You got that right, Rock!!

It looks like Academy got slightly smarter about the engine pylon integration to the wing than some of the other guys. The design of the Turbofan engines is the best i've seen since the Revell Germany offering from the 1980s. And much nicer than the engines found in the old Crown/ Minicraft kit. However, the old 1967 vintage Monogram B-52D still stands head and shoulders above everybody else in the engine pylon integration department.

I guess the question on everybody's mind is.....how does the GWH kit stack up?

Edited by David H
i wanted to give my post " IMPACT", LOL
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, David H said:

I wonder if at some point Academy will offer an early version. I'd love to do a 1962 model, in bare metal with some Hound Dogs.

Colonel Caldwell

It looks like Academy got slightly smarter about the engine pylon integration to the wing than some of the other guys. The design of the Turbofan engines is the best i've seen since the Revell Germany offering from the 1980s. And much nicer than the engines found in the old Crown/ Minicraft kit. However, the old 1967 vintage Monogram B-52D still stands head and shoulders above everybody else in the engine pylon integration department.

Would like a few earlier versions too, a D model from Vietnam would be nice!

3 hours ago, DaveJL said:

Would like a few earlier versions too, a D model from Vietnam would be nice!

Minicraft makes a D/E/F variant, but i haven't seen one built up yet so i'm withholding judgement.

-d-

On 12/5/2022 at 4:21 PM, David H said:

Minicraft makes a D/E/F variant, but i haven't seen one built up yet so i'm withholding judgement.

-d-

A newer tooled Academy offering would certainly tempt me!

On 12/5/2022 at 4:48 PM, _alfisti_ said:

Nice project and great progress so far. I´m following, may your BUFF brings me back to my work on mine.

On 12/5/2022 at 11:19 PM, k5054nz said:

Lovely progress Dave!

On 12/6/2022 at 6:08 AM, exdraken said:

Oh, great!!!!

:thumbsup:

144 is a good bomber size..... ;)

Or 1/48 directly :D

Thanks chaps! I'd certainly like an injection moulded kit myself!

On a side note, I was doing a little online research and came across a great walk-around video of a jet at Barksdale. It's almost 2 hours long but who doesn't enjoy a good walk-around!? :lol:

I picked up some details from an initial view:

1. The wingtips appear to be a different shade of grey, perhaps Dark Gull Grey?

2. The various antenna on the upper and lower fuselage are a mixture of colours, with the GPS dome on the upper fuselage looking like a tan/yellow.

3. Exposed primer can be seen on the leading edges of the engine nacelles.

Some details for me to consider when I get to paint. I also found another video of the 23rd BS arriving at Fairford earlier this year. You can see 60-0023 from 7:03 and at 19:58.

Dave

• Like 6

On 12/5/2022 at 3:13 AM, David H said:

Colonel Caldwell

Thanks for that David, I will now have to go and watch 'A Gathering of Eagles' again!

This is a build I'm keen to watch, I've the kit but not seen any builds I can recall. Heartening it is going together well. The only buff I saw in the raw as it were was the 1988 Aussie Bicentennial Airshow at Richmond, west of Sydney, an amazing show & the buff flyby was a high light. Knowing my luck, it was an early model with no decals available. Oh well :shrug:

Steve.

On 12/8/2022 at 12:08 PM, Tempestwulf said:

Wanting to build one of these beasts since they flew over NZ during Wings over Wairarapa. Given the US is gearing up in Australia, we might get to see them around more.

The Academy kit is well worth the investment, really enjoyable to build.

15 hours ago, k5054nz said:

Me too, hence my excitement at seeing decals for "our" BUFF being available!

DSC_1998c

Thanks for sharing that picture, looks like the underside of the wingtips are also in a different shade of grey to the rest of the airframe.

13 hours ago, stevehnz said:

This is a build I'm keen to watch, I've the kit but not seen any builds I can recall. Heartening it is going together well. The only buff I saw in the raw as it were was the 1988 Aussie Bicentennial Airshow at Richmond, west of Sydney, an amazing show & the buff flyby was a high light. Knowing my luck, it was an early model with no decals available. Oh well :shrug:

Steve.

Thanks Steve. Would be well worth bringing out of your stash, a nice kit with plenty of detail for the scale. I wonder if Academy would upsize it? :lol:

• Like 2