Small paint mixing cups recommendation please

Andy123

HI all.  I am looking for some small (25ml ish) mixing cups so that I can mix outside of the airbrush cup.  However, those I have tried so far all have small notches inside making it difficult to mix easily.  Can anyone recommend me a source of cups that have a flat bottom and no notches of any sort.  

Thanks

I've had this exact same problem, I actually saw some smooth inside plastic shot glasses at a vendor at Telford model show but was put off by the price, so they do exist, sorry can't remember the vendor but they were mainly modeling tools and supplies and not kits.

Revell offers a package of 10 cups for paint mixing, they are 30ml each and made of chemical-proof plastic, so thinners won't harm them. I usually keep some on hand just for that. Film canisters were a good option, but with the transition to digital, most photo shops have closed, so the supply is kind of dwindling... you can also try your local laboratory glassware supply, they will have small glasses and such. If nothing else is available, shot glass will work too. You can usually get them in the local pub/bar, just have to ask nicely...

Edited by daneel

28 minutes ago, theplasticsurgeon said:

I use hotel size jam jars. Saved them when I was away working, but you can buy them in supermarkets.

And they have lids that seal, always a good idea.

Thanks for all your replies guys.  I originally wanted to go down the throw away route but now wondering whether a few stainless-steel cups might be better all round so will have a look for some.

RobL / RJP are the Swantex glasses totally smooth inside without anything to catch the stirrer?

Thanks

I've always used the Tamiya or Mr Hobby paint jars - glass is easy to clean and non-staining. You can buy the Tamy jars separately as 'mixing jars' but they're exactly the same as the jars that come 'free' with the paint

Cheers

Colin

• Like 1

Old liqueur glasses. We had several hanging around in cupboards that haven't been used for decades (the glasses not the cupboards😉). 

I mix the paint in them and transfer to the airbrush cup with a paintbrush. Wash out with water afterwards - I use acrylics.

Mark

It depends on volume for me. Small volume like for 1/72 scale I use single-use cheap pant pots:

41e2LsKor1L._AC_SY780_.jpg

For larger volume I got reusable glass jars - I bought those from Master Airbrush because of the direct airbrush support:

51LvrCtGu6L._AC_SY780_.jpg

Edited by Casey

When my daughters were young and there was the usual supply of various off-the-shelf cold medications in the house, I would wash out and save the small clear plastic measuring cups that came with the meds. I now have a bunch of those that are useful for paint mixing. I also have one small glass cup that I found in a box of stuff the wife told me to throw in the trash. Of course, I kept it. 

As the father of three adult daughters, there has been a large volume of various makeup products flow through my house. I've found a few various bit and pieces that serve as mixing cups.

I also have a good collection of 35mm film containers, from my pre-digital days.

52522880686_41cbd36b88_b.jpg

48226290256_28f53b32c0_b.jpg

Chris

My local dollar store - pound shop? - sells all sorts of cheap cookware.  Muffin tins, mini-muffin tins, that sort of thing.  For a dollar or two you can get a tin made for a dozen muffins.  Cheap, easy, replaceable and impervious to model paint.  If you want to get fancy you can get artist palettes in artist supply shops at several times the price.

Remember! Always check every counter/display in every kind of store/shop. Why pay higher hobbystore prices for material with some kit-maker name on it when there are plenty of cheap products out there that will do the job just as well. 

Also, if you live somewhere that's a long distance from a hobby-shop, like me, you may find something that will work for you.

Chris

• Like 1

Thanks for the help everyone. Popped into tesco over the weekend and picked up a packet of swamped plastic shot glasses but also bought 4 glass shot glasses to see if I can avoid using too much single use plastics. 

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...