Westland Sea Kings for Ukraine

wellsprop

Very interesting news article here. 

BBC News - Britain sending helicopters to Ukraine for first time - Ben Wallace
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-63725431

3 Sea Kings are being sent to Ukraine, I'm very curious where the MoD have found 3 Sea Kings, HeliOps and Historic Helicopters bought most of what was left! 

• Like 5

8 hours ago, wellsprop said:

Very interesting news article here. 

BBC News - Britain sending helicopters to Ukraine for first time - Ben Wallace
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-63725431

3 Sea Kings are being sent to Ukraine, I'm very curious where the MoD have found 3 Sea Kings, HeliOps and Historic Helicopters bought most of what was left! 

I believe some or all may be Heliops cabs, ZA166 arrived at Exeter for repainting this week.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

A curious item for the British to donate. Wouldn't something with some teeth be a better alternative? Or, perhaps, that's the whole idea. The Russians will find these less of a provocation, I suspect. 

Chris. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Evalman said:

I believe some or all may be Heliops cabs, ZA166 arrived at Exeter for repainting this week.  

It will be interesting to find out what serials they are.  Just for interest at the Helicopter Museum where I volunteer in the Archives Office.

Mike

2 hours ago, Evalman said:

Well that is rather interesting! 

I wonder if HeliOps will be bringing some of their other aircraft out of storage to replace their current aircraft (if indeed they are sending their current airworthy fleet) - presumably the still have a contract to train the Marineflieger. 

I think HeliOps have (currently airworthy) ;

ZA166

XV666

XZ920

The UK has specifically said 3 are being sent.

Hrm. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, spruecutter96 said:

A curious item for the British to donate. Wouldn't something with some teeth be a better alternative? Or, perhaps, that's the whole idea. The Russians will find these less of a provocation, I suspect. 

Chris. 

Yeah well something with teeth tends to be pretty gash at logistics....thought they were being used for MERT role (medivac)😀

1 hour ago, spruecutter96 said:

A curious item for the British to donate. Wouldn't something with some teeth be a better alternative?

There quite simply isn't anything else to hand.

The Sea King, despite being absolutely ancient, actually has a fairly good supply of spares - especially if only 3 need to be kept flying.

If the UK wanted to send some armed rotary wing support, the only option would be Wildcat. The UKs Apaches were direct buy from the US military and can't be exported, without agreement from the US.

• Like 2

I noticed a lot of the MOD Logistic stuff they sent out is not new but very old stock that has gone into war reserve or range targets..................rather than send it for auction at Withams Like they usually do, most of the vehicles I noticed had the old style registration plates on such as 40KG35.  Really old Artillery pieces passing through Marchwood port.................been in reserve for years.  As the army gets new vehicles, older ones are made surplus, put into reserve or sent to various ranges worldwide and eventually sold off or, as in this case.........sent abroad.    Very little, if any new equipment going abroad with registrations  similiar to HF03CEJ...........check out whats going through Marchwood

• Like 1

A couple of weeks ago there was a debate on Radio 4 with representatives from the arms/defence industry.

Apparently alot of equipment, munitions, rockets etc have a shelf life due to seals perishing, explosives losing effectiveness and so on. So it means there's a constant replacement programme (or not but I'll ignore the politics); therefore kit that's close to the end of shelf life is being used up first.

Made sense to a layman like me anyway.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Grizzly said:

As the three at Portland are SAR fit it is unlikely they would be used in the anti submarine role. More likely ex HAS6 cabs from HMS Sultan being brought back into service. 

That's exactly what I thought. To the best of my knowledge, HeliOps have been training specifically the German SAR crews - albeit their Sea King had (has?) an additional anti sub role. I don't know if it has the dipping sonar fitted.

Regardless, I'm not convinced the HeliOps aircraft would have the sonar equipment fitted anyway - I believe that equipment is long unsupported. 

The Heliops frames are HU.5's fitted for SAR only and this is the role they're expected to perform.... Ukrainian pilots have been training at Portland for a number of weeks in readiness for the contract.

As previously stated, the frames involved are;

ZA166

XV666

XZ920

Edited by NavyWessex
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 23/11/2022 at 19:07, rayprit said:

I noticed a lot of the MOD Logistic stuff they sent out is not new but very old stock that has gone into war reserve or range targets..................rather than send it for auction at Withams Like they usually do, most of the vehicles I noticed had the old style registration plates on such as 40KG35.  Really old Artillery pieces passing through Marchwood port.................been in reserve for years.  As the army gets new vehicles, older ones are made surplus, put into reserve or sent to various ranges worldwide and eventually sold off or, as in this case.........sent abroad.    Very little, if any new equipment going abroad with registrations  similiar to HF03CEJ...........check out whats going through Marchwood

That's a great video, with lots of detail, especially to a newbie armour chap like me.  Are all those definitely loading for the Ukraine?   I noticed different types of MAN trucks,

AA 96 AB;  LW 41 AB; GY 90 AB; LE 30 AB, are there any kits of them available in 1:35 scale?

Mike

Just saw ZA166 on ADSB skirting around Dorchester so it can't be that one... (Unless an error)

https://globe.adsbexchange.com/?icao=43c36c

5acda1510844f44240b0ea3e8dd2191f.jpg

Edit: unless perhaps they're in the midst of training, considering only one sea king is reported to have been sent so far...

Edited by KingTiger435

1 hour ago, KingTiger435 said:

Just saw ZA166 on ADSB skirting around Dorchester so it can't be that one... (Unless an error)

https://globe.adsbexchange.com/?icao=43c36c

Edit: unless perhaps they're in the midst of training, considering only one sea king is reported to have been sent so far...

This airframe only arrived back from the paint shop yesterday. All grey with a very small registration marking. It'll be making it's way to Ukraine very shortly!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...