Spitfire IX References?

Grizly

While the new Airfix 1/24 Spitfire IXc offers a very high level of detail, if one wanted to super detail the engine compartment, where would one find schematics of all the plumbing, wiring and engine control linkages?

Incredible Spitfire reference it is.

It is also available in a PDF format which is great for a tablet or ipad in the model room.

Save quite a bit as opposed to the beautiful hardcover book.

https://www.monfortonpress.com/

cheers

Andrew

Edited by Corky
  • Like 2

Hello

Agreed about Monforton book. In 2019 remains of Spitfire IXc MR116 had been dug out with Merlin 63 engine practically intact, which is now displayed in Park vojaške zgodovine Pivka. Unfortunately, nobody put walkaround on line yet.

Spitfire-29-1024x683.jpg

On the left front you can see an upper main fuel tank with its light alloy armoured cover, which actually came from another Spitfire.

A book about the MJ116 and her pilot Peter Clark on her last flight (MJ116 had been shot down while straffing Luftwaffe planes on Ljubljana airfield) has also been published. The book includes hundreds of photos, most of them of the engine. Unfortunately, it seem to be out of print.

https://knjigarna.uni-lj.si/sl-SI/product/"Jekleni-pozdravi-iz-zraka"-%2F-"Iron-greetings-from-the-sky"-/1002392

Cheers

Jure

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 11/27/2022 at 4:29 PM, neilfergylee said:

Regarding the superb Monforton book, a slightly less expensive option is to purchase the PDF version and then get it printed locally.  Thats what I did.

Neil

Unfortunately I found the PDF version doesn't work correctly in some apps. Like the ones I  have such as Apple books , Adobe reader etc. Some of the photos don't show. I found an App called "PDF Viewer" with a 3 blade propeller on it that works perfectly. Not sure if there are issues on the PC side?

On 16/01/2023 at 11:31, Corky said:

Unfortunately I found the PDF version doesn't work correctly in some apps. Like the ones I  have such as Apple books , Adobe reader etc. Some of the photos don't show. I found an App called "PDF Viewer" with a 3 blade propeller on it that works perfectly. Not sure if there are issues on the PC side?

Works fine on a PC.

• Like 1

A bit late to the party but I still feel worth mentioning a book I consider very useful for anyone building a Spitfire IX model, the WWP volume :

https://wwpbooks.com/en/aircraft/172-spitfire-lf-mk-ix-in-detail.html

It's just a photographic book but illustrates well all areas. The cost is also IMHO very reasonable (although I don't know what delivery to the UK may cost). It's around 150 pages crammed with pictures of every kind of detail.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

The search continues...

I purchased the PDF version of the Monforten text on the Spit IX and XVI and while it provides an excellent indepth overview of the airframe and cockpit, it does not address the engine or systems in any great detail. I also purchased the WWP text Spitfire LF.Mk.IX in Detail which deals largely with a restored IXe (or is it a XVIe as it has a Packard Merlin) which makes it somewhat suspect when building the Airfix IXc model.

So back to my original quest.... where can I find reliable references/schematics for the aircrafts systems (hydraulic, electrical, vacuum, engine control....) visible forward of the firewall that will aid in super detailing the Airfix 1/24 Spit IXc? Surely there has to be something like a RAF Spit IXc tech manual out there somewhere.