Revell's 1:32 Supermarine Spitfite Mk.IIa (2014 edition)

Sturmovik

After building (but not getting bored of) lots of Bf 109s and Fw 190s, I decided to pick this 1:32 Spitfire Mk.IIa from Revell. I read about its inaccuracies, but they don't detract the fact that the aircraft will, most likely, look like a Spitfire.

I'm aiming for a start past December 6 of this year.

3squTvs.jpeg

• Like 5

• 1 month later...

With my exams finally over and me starting officially my Summer holidays, I was able to progress with the Spitfire Mk.IIa from Revell.

Test fit of the fuselage halves revealed a slight warping of them that can be solved by applying a liberal amount of glue (which can also cover gaps if pressed with enough strength). 

A test fit of the wings to the fuselage showed a substantial gap in the wingroots of the model. A spreader bar (second photo) located in the lowet middle area of the fuselage halves eliminates the gap. I marked the area with black paint to place the glue correctly when it's time to finally glue it in place.

I also decided to cut and glue the flaps in the extended position. I did this because it gives the aircraft a cooler look.

Next up is the construction of the cockpit and the propeller. The latter was painted on the sprues and the parts are ready to be glued.

HqARjlL.jpeg

lfKkBOA.jpeg

• Like 3

Hello guys! I progressed a bit more on the Spit. I built the cockpit with its overly fiddly seat. Trying to build and record a video at the same time is not the easiest task.

The wings were then mated to the fuselage. With the cockpit it place it was impossible to place the spreader bar, but the cockpit itself widened the fuselage halves outwards, sort of eliminating the wingroot gaps. 

The grey areas are where I filled the seams with CA and checked for missing unfilled seams.

Slv3OzY.jpeg

xLPXpQE.jpeg

I also built up the propeller. This was by far the easiest assembly. Pictured here are the two main landing gear struts.

ByCYoIJ.jpeg

I'll keep working on the kit throughout the day by painting the camouflage. 

Merry Christmas to all!

• Like 3