Blackburn Beverley

Martian

On 11/23/2022 at 7:10 PM, Bonkin said:

Well I'll be following along with interest on this one, not least because I live in the town of its namesake but for other reasons which I won't go into here, it is an aircraft close to my heart.

I too remember seeing the Beverley at the RAF museum Hendon and being somewhat dismayed about its scrappage. The only other survivor, XB259, used to reside at the Beverley Museum of Army Transport before being transferred to Fort Paull where it sat exposed to the elements. With the closure of that museum it's future is uncertain:

https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/heritage-and-retro/heritage/last-surviving-blackburn-beverley-taken-apart-at-fort-paull-before-move-to-new-home-in-east-yorkshire-3359578

Great start so far.

A lot of folks around here campaigned to get the Yorkshire Air Museum to take the Beverley but it ended up at Paull as you so rightly said. The shame was that I went and saw her there and she was still in a reasonable shape. Unfortunately the guy in charge cared not a jot and the exterior was showing its age. No idea where it went next as everything was sold at auction, the Beverley included. It's probably in some scrap yard awaiting demolition I fear.

My brother in law and my uncle worked on these beasties and they were a very common sight around here.

I will be watching your build with interest, good luck and do the old lady proud.

Regards

Pete

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pete Robin said:

No idea where it went next as everything was sold at auction, the Beverley included. It's probably in some scrap yard awaiting demolition I fear.

It was bought to be converted into an airBnB venue, I read.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Pete Robin said:

A lot of folks around here campaigned to get the Yorkshire Air Museum to take the Beverley

People have also tried to get the YAM to take XH558, when the team had no intention of doing so. Folk like spending other people's money!

50 minutes ago, alt-92 said:

It was bought to be converted into an airBnB venue, I read.

It was but, believe it or not, the project fell through (shock! horror!) and she's up for sale again.

• Like 2

A bit late to the party, but can't miss a Beverly build.

My memories include one flying over my junior school in 1960 whatever, very low indeed, dayglo and silver, in a suburb of Croydon (sounds posh yes?), and then a few years later being able to sit up in the boom of a Beverly at a Biggin Hill B of B display, for an hour or so, while we ate our sandwich lunch. Cheese sarnie's as I recall!

Will definitely follow this one.

T.

• Like 4

I'm looking forward to this.  I have two of these  Beverly kits in my stash, one will be silver/white and dayglo Transport Command and the other in MEAF camo 84 Sq.

Sadly saw the last of them being scrapped at Bicester in '68

• Like 1

Given the interest this thread seems to have generated I decided to do a bit more on the model. This took the form of getting the wings and nacelles together. As you can see from the pictures, the wing to nacelle joins have needed quite a bit of filler. Not looking forward to sanding that lot down!  Strangely though, the wing to fuselage fit seems to be very good? Still, I'm not complaining!

006.jpg

007.jpg

I have also got the tail surfaces together. The only real issue there is that the leading edges of the tail planes where the meet the fins need building up a bit. Some CA and bicarb of soda should take care of that.

005.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Martian 👽

• Like 12

• 8 months later...

I think considering the age of the aircraft and its material state its time to let the old girl go ...its a bit like the BRONNINGTON....people are still getting excited about it because some Royal was in command ...shes knackered,stripped out and semi submerged time to let her go too.

Just my opinion everyone has one