Blackburn Beverley

Martian

One of the benefits of the recent stash survey has been that I came across a few kits that I had forgotten I had. I found the Leonardo de Vinci tank kit and the AMG 1/350 Saunders-Roe Princess kit, both of which I ended up building and having a great deal of fun with. Another kit that I ha forgotten about was the Mikro-Mir Blackburn Beverley in 1/144 scale. The box was in pieces and it seemed the best way to protect the kit would be to try and build it. I say try as I want to super detail the model and have bought the Shelf Oddity etch brass set for the model. This contains some insanely small parts and I am not helping myself here by setting my heart on open cargo doors and a fully detailed cargo bay. If I can carry this off, it will be a nice tribute toa close friend of mine who sadly passed away a few years ago. He was a Loadmaster on Beverleys both at RAF Abingdon and out in Aden. I remember ,as a small child in Oxford, seeing these things flying about and in the mid 1980s a friend and I found the remains of one in a scrapyard at a place called Worminghall, close to the former RAF Oakley.

I shall be working on this between other projects so progress may be somewhat slow and as I said, I may well fall flat on my face here.

Anyway, to start,  I have opened up the crew entrance door in the port side of the fuselage and extended the cargo bay roof all the way forward to meet with the flight deck. Curiously, Mikro-Mir only provide about a third of the roof ye provide a full length floor and detailed fuselage sides right up the the nose. I see much fiddling about with very this plastic strip in my not too distant future!

Anyway, here is where we are at as of this afternoon:

002.jpg

003.jpg

001.jpg

• Like 27

2 hours ago, Martian said:

One of the benefits of the recent stash survey has been that I came across a few kits that I had forgotten I had. I found the Leonardo de Vinci tank kit and the AMG 1/350 Saunders-Roe Princess kit, both of which I ended up building and having a great deal of fun with

Was there a build of the Princess on here? If so I can't find it. And it was such a lovely looking Aircraft too.

• Like 2

Following with interest...

I have fond memories of the Beverley that stood outside the RAF Museum at Hendon for a few years, which was (in an unforgivable act of vandalism) scrapped in the early eighties. I always thought the Transport Command colours of sand/brown were particularly attractive on the big beasts.

• Like 8

5 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Was there a build of the Princess on here? If so I can't find it. And it was such a lovely looking Aircraft too.

No, it was just something I knocked together for a bit of relaxation.

Martian 👽

• Like 1

Ooooh goodie. A Beverly is something I'd like to do sometime, were it not for lack of space right now.

Following for science :)

13 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Fear not, I plan to make mine in the Salty GB starting January.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I enjoyed building this kit  a few years ago, right up to the point where I had painted the upper camo pattern using Humbrol enamels, didn't like it and re-coated with Tamiya spray. I then ended up with a Beverley which appeared to be made out of leather! I still have it, I could not bear to part with it because of the nostalgia of seeing them in Aden as a nipper. It does give me a good reason to get another, especially as I have now got Hannant's Beverley/Argosy transfer sheet.

Oh, by the way, it need a LOT of weight up front, no need to ask how I found out...

Good luck with this, it is a worthy subject. And thanks for saying about the Shelf Oddity etch, something else to remember.

Ray

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, RichieW said:

Wonder if it's still there, I feel a google search coming on.

It was still there in 1979, but sadly in a very dilapidated state and has since been scrapped (1981). 

http://www.beverley-association.org.uk/html/124/124.htm

Edited by alt-92
timeline correction
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 3

1 minute ago, alt-92 said:

It was still there in 86, but sadly in a very dilapidated state and has since been scrapped. 

What a shame, as a little nipper I was very excited when I saw it.  It looked to me at the time like a hercules with a couple of engines missing.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Martian said:

I am not helping myself here by setting my heart on open cargo doors and a fully detailed cargo bay.

That alone has made me pull up a chair! I will watch with interest and look forward to seeing the results!

17 hours ago, Galligraphics said:

I always thought the Transport Command colours of sand/brown were particularly attractive on the big beasts.

+1 for this this scheme, although other options are equally attractive!

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, perdu said:

I am going to like this Martian,

I am going to like this too Martian :D

When I was a kid in Southend in the 1970's there was an old Beverley parked at Southend Airport, which used to fascinate me as it seemed so tall and curiously shaped.  Had a soft spot for it ever since.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, RichieW said:

Nice subject, I remember there being one on display outside the RAF museum in the 70's. Wonder if it's still there, I feel a google search coming on.

No, it was scrapped. They said it was in a dangerouse state of repair. 

Such a shame.

• Like 2

Chair pulled up for your build here.

Having built this kit, its a challenge but a fun build. Plus the C.1 Beverley has a special place in my family as my dad spent his ealy RAF years flying in these all over the middle east as part of 30 Squadron.

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, sinnerboy said:

No, it was scrapped. They said it was in a dangerouse state of repair. 

Such a shame.

Agreed, a real pity. Shame they couldn't find room for it in the hangar. It was probably not considered an important enough part of aviation history to preserve. 

20 minutes ago, RichieW said:

Agreed, a real pity. Shame they couldn't find room for it in the hangar. It was probably not considered an important enough part of aviation history to preserve. 

I have a feeling it was not officially part of the museum collection and so not subject to any formal preservation arrangements.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, perdu said:

I am going to like this Martian, slumping at the back in my sleeping bag if you intend a protracted Fritag type build.

It won't take quite that long! It will be getting worked on when I get a bit fed up with other builds, sometimes it's just nice to have something going on the side when the old mojo flags a bit.

2 hours ago, Back in the Saddle said:

That alone has made me pull up a chair! I will watch with interest and look forward to seeing the results!

+1 for this this scheme, although other options are equally attractive!

Mine will be in the Silver and white scheme with the blue cheatline. I may even doit as the Beverley my friend and I found in the scrapyard at Worminghall; I have some pictures I took at the time somewhere.

Martian 👽

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Martian said:

Mine will be in the Silver and white scheme with the blue cheatline

I think that's the scheme on the Southend Beverley, which the power of google has revealed to me as having been XB261.  Sadly, it was apparently broken up in the 1980's although the cockpit section seemingly made its way to Newark.

Edited by Fritag
  • Like 2

Well I'll be following along with interest on this one, not least because I live in the town of its namesake but for other reasons which I won't go into here, it is an aircraft close to my heart.

I too remember seeing the Beverley at the RAF museum Hendon and being somewhat dismayed about its scrappage. The only other survivor, XB259, used to reside at the Beverley Museum of Army Transport before being transferred to Fort Paull where it sat exposed to the elements. With the closure of that museum it's future is uncertain:

https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/heritage-and-retro/heritage/last-surviving-blackburn-beverley-taken-apart-at-fort-paull-before-move-to-new-home-in-east-yorkshire-3359578

Great start so far.

• Like 1

Mikromir 1/144 aircraft? Always going to be a good thread. I’ve built a couple of their Victor B1 kit, very nice if you correct the one or two relatively minor errors and dry fit and adjust every single part. 90% of it fitted brilliantly once the necessary adjustments were made. I’ll be interested to see if this kit is up to the same standard.

• Like 1