Spitfire PR.IV - Finished

18 minutes ago, Johnson said:

Thanks Chris! Very clear instructions - I will be experimenting shortly.

Strangely enough, the stuff I use (only for canopies so far) is called 'Pledge revive it'. I bought it having done research here on BM for a Klear / Future alternative. The only place I could find it, and it was a year ago at least, was Amazon and it wasn't cheap - but you do get 'a pint'.

Cheers,

No worries Charlie,  I have not heard of that one, I have an original Klear and a bottle of Pledge Multi-Surface Wax and it is labelled as the improved formula Klear.  It looks milky but does dry clear. 

Chris

• Like 5

41 minutes ago, AliGauld said:

She's looking really splendid Chris,

As always quality work form you.

I second that emotion or as I've been watching the latest series of Letterkenny.

"Can Confirm"

Cheers,

Alistair

Thanks Alistair,  I can’t breve the amount of stencilling you get, and it's all beautifully printed and legible too with an optivisor on of course. 😉

Chris

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, Dunny said:

Chris,

Good luck with the canopy - always a buttock-clenching moment. Looking lovely,

Cheers,

Roger

Thanks Roger  yes it certainly is, fingers crossed.  I have purchased 3 canopy sets just incase, well the idea is I get this one right and the others will be for the second PR.IV 😉

Chris

• Like 5

21 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

, I have just come back home after some errands and a Hannants parcel was on my doorstep,  wahoo!!!

Great news, this will be done and dusted soon. 😀 

Richie

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, 2996 Victor said:

Superb, Chris, just gorgeous! The cockpit detail looks fabulous and opening the side door certainly helps make your work more visible. Good luck with the canopy!

Cheers,

Mark 

Thanks Mark,  pleased with how it looks,  you've reminded me better get the PE cockpit  door sorted too. Will look at the canopy later.

4 hours ago, RichieW said:

Great news, this will be done and dusted soon. 😀 

Richie

😄 thanks Richie, no pressure!!! I am doing another project too which is the 32nd Gee Bee so progress being divided by the two at the mo.

2 hours ago, AliGauld said:

Looking absolutely splendid Chris.

Good luck with that.

There are parts of me tightening rapidly at the thought.

Cheers,

Alistair

Thanks Alistair,  me too😬 will have a start in a bit.

Thanks guys

Chris

• Like 4

Hi all progress on the little bits

Cruel Macro shot of the vacform sliding canopy part,  it looks alright to the naked well optivisored eye, guess I had better make an appointment at Specsavers I am due anyway

spacer.png

Prop ready

spacer.png

Wheels and covers done and the very swet 3 piece PE cockpit access door  ready too.

spacer.png

final gloss coat added to the Spitfire so an oil wash will be added tomorrow,  I was going to do tonight but needed to get the Gee Bee a bit further along. 

Gee Bee black scalloping in progress 

spacer.png

spacer.png

Thanks for looking in 

Chris

• Like 11

7 hours ago, ModelingEdmontonian said:

Periphal parts looking great and so is the Gee Bee!

Thanks  ME, pleased with how they are turning out , not much longer and the Spitfire will be finished.

The Gee Bee is very pleasing too, I was slightly anxious about painting the black areaa but cut my own scallop masks from masking tape and it worked really well so gave me the confidence to start painting the fuselage. 

Thanks 

Chris

• Like 3

Terrific, when I look at brutal close ups of my models I usually end up wincing in pain. If the canopy looks good to the naked eye, it's a good canopy! Love that high contrast paint job on the GEE BEE.

Richie

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Terrific stuff on the sundry bits,

Macro photos are never very forgiving though.

The canopy looks good to me.

Good luck with the Gee Bee. I'm still amazed by your ability to paint such complicated and defined schemes by hand.

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

Smashing Spitfire (and Gee Bee). I do like the B type roundels.

Regards,

Adrian

Thanks Adrian,  very pleased with both and main black areas have had their first black coat now on the Gee Bee.

The B roundels look great on the PRU blue don't they. 

2 hours ago, RichieW said:

Terrific, when I look at brutal close ups of my models I usually end up wincing in pain. If the canopy looks good to the naked eye, it's a good canopy! Love that high contrast paint job on the GEE BEE.

Richie

Thanks Richie, that's a good point , I like it and will use that.  Pleased with the way it's going and the oil wash is on the Spitfire . The Gee Bee is going well, I will get some black scallops on the wheel spats later.  

1 hour ago, AliGauld said:

Terrific stuff on the sundry bits,

Macro photos are never very forgiving though.

The canopy looks good to me.

Good luck with the Gee Bee. I'm still amazed by your ability to paint such complicated and defined schemes by hand.

Cheers,

Alistair

Thanks Alistair,  Macro is certainly cruel!!! Pleased with the canopy really and don't want to touch it anymore incase I damage it.  The Gee Bee is turning out better than I imagined it would and was anxious, but luckily the instructions have a 32nd scale plan so I can trace the scallops and cut out my own masks to make all the scallops, except the ones on the fuselage sides under the canopy they were free hand. So a lot is masked really.

Thanks guys

Chris

• Like 2

Fantastic, Chris! Agreed about the canopy - macro is cruel - if it looks good to the Mk.1 eyeball then the job's a good 'un! :) The remaining bits and bobs are looking great and ready to go!

Not sure if I've asked before, but what's the intel on the Gee Bee?

Cheers,

Mark 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 2996 Victor said:

Fantastic, Chris! Agreed about the canopy - macro is cruel - if it looks good to the Mk.1 eyeball then the job's a good 'un! :) The remaining bits and bobs are looking great and ready to go!

Not sure if I've asked before, but what's the intel on the Gee Bee?

Cheers,

Mark 

Thanks Mark, I will try not to do Macro shots 🙄 when you build it the PE cockpit door is lovely. 

The Gee Bee is a 32nd scale Williams Brothers kit and I am building for the PRRRS GB.

Chris

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Chris, 

Many congrats on your whole enterprise -- the build is excellent, and many thanks for the info on the restoration site.

I decided to pitch in -- bought the kit (though I already have the Sword #72043 -- I might be feeling a bit of inspiration coming on), the print, the book, and the little button.  53 pds (yes, I know that's not the right abbreviation, but, you know, American keyboard) merchandise and 31 pds shipping.  Yikes -- but for a good cause, right?  

But I also have a couple questions.  I realize I probably missed this along the way, but which/whose PRU Blue paint did you use?  Also, can anyone suggest good aftermarket exhausts appropriate to the PR IV?  

Just checked my sample of the Sword PR IV.  The primary canopy section is so yellowed, I thought at first the kit came with a small etched brass fret.  

So I'll be looking for the new canopy in the new kit -- or was that the problem in the new kit, as well?  Or better yet, I'll take your advice and get the Rob Taurus replacement.  

Again, very nice work.  Can't wait to see the absolute fini!

Best wishes to all for a Happy New Year, 

Bob C 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Oops, i know what else I wanted to comment on (sorry, slightly off topic?).

For those who have above commented favorably on the Sword kits, I wholeheartedly agree.  Of course, I haven't actually built any yet, but the ones I've purchased certainly look inviting.  Special comments on the P-47N -- there were at least 2 previous kits: High Planes (usually accurate, usually tricky builds, and somewhat expensive) and Italeri (parts look nice, but wing and vertical [?] tail chords way off -- undersized).  Then Sword came along, and voila, problem solved!

Their Spitfire XIVs also look excellent.  And did I see they have a multiple boxing of Seafires?  Better be saving my pennies..

That's all for now. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Bob C. said:

Chris, 

Many congrats on your whole enterprise -- the build is excellent, and many thanks for the info on the restoration site.

I decided to pitch in -- bought the kit (though I already have the Sword #72043 -- I might be feeling a bit of inspiration coming on), the print, the book, and the little button.  53 pds (yes, I know that's not the right abbreviation, but, you know, American keyboard) merchandise and 31 pds shipping.  Yikes -- but for a good cause, right?  

But I also have a couple questions.  I realize I probably missed this along the way, but which/whose PRU Blue paint did you use?  Also, can anyone suggest good aftermarket exhausts appropriate to the PR IV?  

Just checked my sample of the Sword PR IV.  The primary canopy section is so yellowed, I thought at first the kit came with a small etched brass fret.  

So I'll be looking for the new canopy in the new kit -- or was that the problem in the new kit, as well?  Or better yet, I'll take your advice and get the Rob Taurus replacement.  

Again, very nice work.  Can't wait to see the absolute fini!

Best wishes to all for a Happy New Year, 

Bob C 

Hi Bob 

Thanks very much indeed, good on you for purchasing a kit and the extra bits , it is for a very worthwhile cause,  but crikey that is a lot of dosh.  You will not be disappointed with the kit.  The reason I went for the Rob Taurus Canopy is because of the viewing bubbles on each side,  as the kit canopy is moulded with them separately and you have to glue them on and I thought that would not go well😉.  

The exhausts aren't too bad and you get two options as per the Sword standard kit   the PR.IV was the same as the Mk.1 I believe and so I imagine the same exhausts the kit give the ones for this to be the round rear piped ones

The Brengun PE set is nice too.

1 hour ago, Bob C. said:

Oops, i know what else I wanted to comment on (sorry, slightly off topic?).

For those who have above commented favorably on the Sword kits, I wholeheartedly agree.  Of course, I haven't actually built any yet, but the ones I've purchased certainly look inviting.  Special comments on the P-47N -- there were at least 2 previous kits: High Planes (usually accurate, usually tricky builds, and somewhat expensive) and Italeri (parts look nice, but wing and vertical [?] tail chords way off -- undersized).  Then Sword came along, and voila, problem solved!

Their Spitfire XIVs also look excellent.  And did I see they have a multiple boxing of Seafires?  Better be saving my pennies..

That's all for now. 

The Sword kits  are certainly very nice, I don't have the multiple Seafire set unfortunately,  I have built their Skyraider AEW.1 which was a fab build and haveca couple of their Avengers too as well as an Auster in 48th scale.  I must admit I certainly enjoy them.   Definitely worth saving your pennies Bob.

Thanks again and Happy New Year to you and yours and all BMers 

Best wishes for 2023.

Chris

• Like 2

Hi all

Oil wash cleaned up and looks quite pleasing

spacer.png

Also been trying to get this one finished, had much fun with old decal adhesive , decals breaking when cleaning glue off, still it's all decalled up now apart from a few small ones

spacer.png

Thanks for looking 

Chris

• Like 9