1:32 scale Revell Spitfire Mk IXc 416 Squadron, Tangmere 1944

Fellow modellers here's my latest offering the rather good value for money Spitfire from Revell in 1:32 scale. Built pretty much OOB.

I elected to do the box art example from 416 Squadron based at Tangmere in 1944 with the early Tail option

A few bits broke off and had to be repaired during the build.. and a near total disaster with the Port Wing Upper roundel ... Lesson learnt Andy! thank god for  Sharpie pens! lol 

I'm not too bothered with the historical accuracy of this build. I elected to not put any bomb tackle on this one. If anyone wants the bomb bits on the sprue PM me  i'm happy to send them! 

Here is  the WIP thread for those interested...

Thanks to the many that made suggestions and provided reference pics as inspiration. 

20221122_092223

Here's a few more pics on my 'Spectacle Loop' dispersal base board i made this year. A few 1:35 fuel drums and Jerry cans from Tamiya added for a bit of interest. 
Paints for the model were Tamiya with a light Floor Coat over the top. Weathering is a mix of washes and Black Panel line 
with some real cigarette ash ground up and used for the exhaust stains! 

20221122_100839

Underside view. It's leaking all over the place!

20221122_100805

Birds Eye View - On the Dispersal

20221122_100753

20221122_100739

The Business End!

20221122_100655

20221122_100709

20221122_094857

20221122_092448

My attempt at chipping where the pilot gets up on the wing! A handy bucket used as a step-up!

I hope you like it?  I enjoyed making it and despite the issues I had, detailed in the short WIP, it's made me feel like getting back into the modelling groove again! 

Thanks especially to @Winded Penguin @spitfire @bigbadbadge for joining me on this journey and not forgetting the others who looked in!

Not decided yet what my next build is going to be.. maybe a USAAF warbird or the Aifix Beaufort i bought a while back..

Kind Regards,

Andy

Edited by Col Walter E Kurtz
More pics added
  • Like 37
  • Thanks 1

Nice build, looks just right to me, used hard and put away wet but still doing the job.

And the kit is certainly value for money, I have two in the stash.

Cheers

Dennis

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, spitfire said:

Nice build, looks just right to me, used hard and put away wet but still doing the job.

And the kit is certainly value for money, I have two in the stash.

Thank you Dennis for your positive comments . Glad you like it! Cheers, Andy

Wonderful looking Spitfire.  Although somewhat slighted by some, Revell does give you substantial bang for the buck.  I have always like their kits.  You did this one great justice.  Thanks for sharing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, georgeusa said:

Wonderful looking Spitfire.  Although somewhat slighted by some, Revell does give you substantial bang for the buck.  I have always like their kits.  You did this one great justice.  Thanks for sharing

Why thank you Sir! Maybe one day I'll treat myself to the Tamiya version. Though the Airfix 1:24 new release looks nice too!

3 hours ago, Scooby said:

Nice stuff! I served in 416 (Hornets) so clearly any kit in my squadrons markings is a fave of mine.

Cheers Scooby. I didn't look up any of the history of your Squadron,  but I will do now. I  always rather partial to 56 Squadron myself, my uncle served with them. Its unusual that the Squadron markings were painted over the aircraft registration number , in this example at least. Do you have any snapshots of your time with the Squadron?  Regards, Andy

Looks great Andy - nice to see it over the line! I can definitely recommend the Airfix Beaufort - I've just finished one and it's a cracker!

Cheers,

Roger

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Dunny said:

Looks great Andy - nice to see it over the line! I can definitely recommend the Airfix Beaufort - I've just finished one and it's a cracker!

Cheers,

Roger

Thanks Roger.  I'm glad to finish it too. It's hard making the time being back at work now but it's anice relaxation m aking models lol. I quite fancy doing a What if? For the Beaufort in Raf Desert colours.. had a poke around in my stash last night , trying to  decide which kit to start next.. maybe I'll pick out the Beaufort. Though I do have a Revell B26 that might also be a contender ! Regards, Andy

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Col Walter E Kurtz said:

Thanks Roger.  I'm glad to finish it too. It's hard making the time being back at work now but it's anice relaxation m aking models lol. I quite fancy doing a What if? For the Beaufort in Raf Desert colours.. had a poke around in my stash last night , trying to  decide which kit to start next.. maybe I'll pick out the Beaufort. Though I do have a Revell B26 that might also be a contender ! Regards, Andy

Desert colours - nice! The kit does include Vokes filters so you are covered there, so a Malta scheme or North Africa??

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Winded Penguin said:

The chocks are a nice touch. Nice to be able to tag along for the build and see this one reach fruition.

It's a lovely kit for the money, and great to see you've done it full justice 👍

Thanks WP. You are too kind

I'm pleased to  note you liked my scratch built chocks! Made from some scrap wood and the cables were from a clothing tag.. 

• Like 1

• Col Walter E Kurtz changed the title to 1:32 scale Revell Spitfire Mk IXc 416 Squadron, Tangmere 1944