Space Marines, Primaris Space Marines

Hi guys. Just a wip on some minis I've been working on to get back into the hobby swing...

I found my old paints and even my original hobby brush (!) so just for the lulz I attacked a Primaris mini with them. Fairly took me back, that. Nostalgia ain't what it used to be... ;)

IMGP1250

IMGP1295

Ok, that one's not much use for anything but drybrushing, but they still sell them, so I bought a couple of replacements:

IMGP1298

IMGP1254

IMGP1255

IMGP1583

IMGP1582

IMGP1586

IMGP1585

IMGP1584

I'm quite chuffed with how the little chap turned out. Not bad for thirty year old paint!

I'll be using something a bit more modern on the rest of them.

IMGP1246

• Like 13

• 4 weeks later...

So, I applied a careful pre-shade in indigo and white acrylic ink on the next victim, err, subject. 

IMGP1590

IMGP1591

Which I absolutely buried under what was meant to be a light mist of ultramarine paint! I'm a wee bit rusty... Still, he's getting there.

IMGP1611

I don't know what I hate more, edge highlighting or GW's decals. The decal has (another) coat of solution on there tonight to try and settle it down. I'm using UMP's 'strong' this time, I've got their extra strong as well, although I don't know if the transfer will survive that one. 

In happier news, I switched back to Rosemary brushes for the detail work and the difference between synthetic and sable is night and day. 

IMGP1610

IMGP1609

IMGP1613

IMGP1612

The base is an easy fix, hopefully the decals will settle and I can get a layer of varnish over them, the biggest task is getting the head's posing right. Tipped toward the scanner thingie, or gazing steely eyed off into the distance?

I've got a new toy to play with, a Garfy painting handle. If you paint minis, you'll probably get just as frustrated as I do with trying to get a hold of the subject. These things are tiny, but so are the painting handles on sale. I've tried all sorts, everything from gluing the figure to a length of sprue to drilling wires into their feet and attaching them to a selection of fist sized objects. Lately I've been adding to my collection of painting handles, but I'm not convinced any of them are a marked improvement over a chewing gum bottle filled with lose change (my painting handle of choice for years). The Garfy job has a few advantages over the opposition, being very cheap, built for adult hands and being quite grippy (is that a word?) with a textured surface and big dents at both ends of the handle for your pinkie to drop into. I'll let you know if it works out for me, but meanwhile, here's my second pre-shade. Hopefully this time I can show a little more restraint when I apply the main colour!  

IMGP1601

IMGP1604

IMGP1606

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

Bliadhna Mhath Ùr! Happy New Year Britmodellers! 

With a couple of days off work to play with, I dug out my brushes and had a little play.

Things were going swimmingly until a GW transfer just would not lie down. I smothered it in a little too much setting solution, with predictable results. Note to self- apply varnish before transfers in future, muppet!

IMGP1614

Ah well, I need the airbrush practice anyway... The repair isn't too obvious:

IMGP1615

I really like the bright colour on this little chap, but I think the last one is the scheme I'll run with for Ultras. Here's how it turned out:

IMGP1616

IMGP1617

IMGP1618

That's supposed to be matt varnish, but it's way too glossy for my taste. To be fair the photos make it look worse than the eye sees, but still... I used Vallejo, has anyone got any recommendations for an alternative? I'm looking for something water soluble, acrylic (so it won't react with any residual paint or thinner in my airbrush) and giving a flat, matt finish. The bottle I'm using isn't new, but it's still looking and pouring like fresh? I think it may have gone off somehow, but when that happens the varnish usually takes on a yellowish tinge? Weird...

Next up and the last of the minis I primed is one I'm trying something a little bit different on. It's still had the dark underside, bright topside treatment, just using metallic colours. It'll be interesting to see how this one pans out.

IMGP1619

IMGP1620

I hope you all had a great holiday, I'll post up the result of my latest disaster experiment soon. 

• Like 6

• 3 weeks later...

Well, the effect is interesting, not very Ultramarine, but definitely one to consider for that Ahriman mini I've been hoarding...

IMGP1622

IMGP1627

IMGP1628

The last wee fellah is almost done, just a wee bit of tidying up and I'll be there. The colour is gorgeous- 'Asurmen Blue', one of GW's contrast range. It flows beautifully through an airbrush, in this case my H&S Ultra, with a 0.2 needle, 50/50 paint/Vallejo airbrush thinner mix at 20 psi. The issue is my edge highlighting really isn't up to scratch and it's tricky to correct the lines with a regular brush afterwards. Still, that's why I'm doing this, it's all good practice.

IMGP1633

IMGP1632

IMGP1631

IMGP1630

IMGP1629

I'm looking forward to doing the sergeant's face, but really not looking forward to edge highlighting the metallic paint. I'll try and remember to take the rfi photos in decent light! 

Thanks for viewing.

• Like 8

• 3 weeks later...

I'd almost forgotten how hard it is to paint faces this small! :winkgrin: 

The sculpt is pretty good, lots to work with and all very well defined.

IMGP1639

I went a little too high on the contrast- I'd have gotten away with it on a larger figure, but these things are teeny-tiny!

IMGP1645

Still, a few thin glazes knocked it back enough for tabletop standards. 

IMGP1677

IMGP1676

So, with that last little chap finished, the squad's complete.

IMGP1647

Only one of them actually looks like an Ultramarine, but that wasn't really the point. I wanted to get back into the swing of things and I think I might just be getting there! I can feel a definite progression in my painting, muscle memory is coming back and my eyesight is, thankfully, more than up to the task now. I'll stick a few more pics up in RFI, along with a brief word on why these little fellas are so important to me. 

Thanks for viewing!

• Like 7