80th Anniversary of the "Summer War" *dead and buried*

vppelt68

Please read this first:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vyborg–Petrozavodsk_offensive

Not just the D-Day and Normandy campaign, or the Bagration, but also the 4th Strategic Offensive of the Red Army in 1944. A fascinating but horrible summer war with more twists and turns than you'd expect. Initial breakthrough and rapid advance of the Soviets behind fleeing, chaotic Finnish troops for the first dozen or so days. Solidifying Finnish defence in a series of local victories as Soviets lose their focus and spread their assault searching for weak points, meaning another dozen days of heavy fighting along the stretched front. The decisive fortnight, when Finns blunt the Soviet main assault for good on the Karelian Isthmus and cause major losses on the attacker in the Ladogan Karelia.

If you find the plot intriguing, let me introduce the players:

The USSR with anything domestic made like the LaGG-3, La-5, Yak-9, Il-2, Pe-2, DB-3, T-34, KV-1, JS-1 (or -2?) and Lend-Leasers like the P-39, P-40, B-25, A-20, and more...

The Finns with anything they could get in their hands, like the Brewsters, Blenheims, Morane-Saulniers, P-36:s, Bf 109:s, Do 17:s, Ju 88:s, Pe-2:s, Stug III:s and T-34:s (and more...)

The Germans with Ju 87 D:s, Bf 109 and Ju 188 recce, FW 190 A:s and F:s, Stug and StuH III:s and even the b****y Prinz Eugen!

I know it competes from the same slot in time than the D-Day anniversary, but as the Armistice between Finland and the USSR began in early September, this could start in early May, when the Soviets began assembling their forces for the offensive.

So how about something new from the Eastern Front, for a change? V-P

1. vppelt68 (host)
  2. Marklo
  3. Rabbit Leader
  4. 2996 Victor
  5. Robert Stuart
  6. JOCKNEY
  7. MARADER
  8. RJBud1
  9. John Masters
  10. stevehnz
  11. Grandboof
  12. franky boy
  13. Maginot
  14. ...
  • Like 6

Probably a good excuse to build an Amien Jail raider Mosquito, or a million other notable anniversary subjects for that matter. Sounds like something that will gain popularity VP, I’ll put my hand down for something that should fit within that block of 365 turbulent days. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 2

I'm definitely up for this GB! I've always fancied something Finnish in my collection, so this is an ideal opportunity. I think a Buffalo and a P-36 are my only current stash candidates, but that's no stumbling block!

All the best,

Mark

• Like 1

• vppelt68 changed the title to 80th Anniversary of the "Summer War"
14 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

Hi V-P

I was wondering if a Finnish Dornier Do-22 would be OK  ?

If you get too many of these, let me know and I'll think of something else.

Cheers Pat 

Of course it would ok! They were used during the summer of -44 too, if someone else is interested in to learn more, please read the English abstract of this feature:

https://ilmailumuseo.fi/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/kokoelmat_5_2014.pdf

V-P

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JOCKNEY said:

Thanks for the link V-P

I'll have to check the decals I have, but if I have DR-196 I'll build it as the floaty version 

Cheers Pat 

It says that all the four Do 22:s were equipped with floats. If you have the RS Models kit, is does indeed have DR-196 and -195 as decal options. V-P

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/rs-models-92244-dornier-do-22--1256981

30 minutes ago, RJBud1 said:

I have a really old, Soviet produced LaGG-3 kit in the stash. It has painting guides for a regularly camouflaged aircraft and an interesting all red paint scheme. 

Count me in!

I will, and try hard not to mention the three LaGG:s operated by Finnish AF! V-P 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, RJBud1 said:

I have a really old, Soviet produced LaGG-3 kit in the stash. It has painting guides for a regularly camouflaged aircraft and an interesting all red paint scheme. 

Count me in!

The all-red version was the prototype, the I-301, which flew in 1940.

Best Regards,

Jason

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Learstang said:

The all-red version was the prototype, the I-301, which flew in 1940.

Best Regards,

Jason

Interesting, I wonder if I could still build that prototype for the GB. The idea of a Finnish LaGG is also very appealing.

Also I do have a very old early MiG-3 kit, not sure if USSR still was operating them by 1944 in this operation. I know quite a few MiG-3 were still in inventory, along with a single MiG-1 in 1944, if someone may shed some light it'd be appreciated. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

Thinking outside the box a bit here V-P but would a BM-13 Katyusha be OK for this GB ?

Cheers Pat 

I don't know the Soviet forces too well, but a quick search resulted in a mention of a rocket launcher regiment being among the huge artillery force gathered on the Karelian Isthmus for the initiation of the assault 9.6.1944. I believe your Katyusha should be OK. V-P

• Like 1

I have some Finnish aircraft in my stash . Just need to check if the individual machines were still on strength . So I join in please if only to make sure Pat builds his promised Morane 

Martin H

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Grandboof said:

I have some Finnish aircraft in my stash . Just need to check if the individual machines were still on strength . So I join in please if only to make sure Pat builds his promised Morane 

Martin H

It's Steve, not ubiquituous mr. Jockney this Time!

• Haha 1