Battle of Britain Ju 88A-1

Welcome, yours too :thumbsup: ? I decided the odds against having one of these short-wingers in Op. Marita colours were too slim. As I hate painting white or yellow theater bands and/or wingtips, I thought a simple all-splinter BoB A-1 would be nice for a change :winkgrin:

(Enzo just added the second post while I was writing)

Yes the kit is quite delicious! It's a good combination of gorgeous interior and surface details without over-engineering. The fit is good but not Japanese :whistle:. :popcorn:. V-P 

• Like 1

The main components are just so simple in their construction.  All of the following took me about fifteen minutes.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

I then slotted everything together just to get an impression of the size of it.  Once again, I was surprised.  It's about the same size as the Dornier 17 which I built earlier this year.   I always thought that the three German bomber types used in the Battle of Britain were medium bombers but it seems that the Ju 88 and Do 17 were in fact light bombers and smaller than the Heinkel He 111.  Even so, the He 111 was smaller still than contemporaneous British aircraft such as the Wellington.

spacer.png

• Like 4

Oh Enzo, I can't tell by those pics, but... did you remember to add the clear, round antenna insulators at the spine and drill locating holes for the dive brakes and external bomb racks in the wings? I know because I've been there, done that myself :weep:. V-P

3 minutes ago, vppelt68 said:

did you remember to add the clear, round antenna insulators at the spine

I deliberately didn't.   I will be using something different which means that I don't have to do any masking.  :) 

• Like 2

Looks like a nice kit Enzo - the later Revell kit bombs seem to have finally been researched properly and I see that instead of the generic tail rings most manufacturers provided in the past they give you the correct rectangular spar box type as was used on the SC 500, but more on that in my 188 build. As a matter of interest what colour do they suggest you paint them - the bomb disposal booklet that the USAAF produced just after the war says that when carried externally they were normally "Field Gray, Sky Blue or Silver" so I guess that is RLM 02, 65 and 01 respectively, unless they really do mean army Feldgrau!

Pete

• 4 weeks later...

The cockpit interior components were sprayed with Lifecolor UA-133 RLM 66.   I added some PE seat harnesses from Eduard.

spacer.png

I then assembled the nose and fitted it to the main fuselage.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 5

• 1 month later...

I have been sadly neglecting this build, which is very unfair to a lovely aircaft and a lovely kit.  So let's move on.

spacer.png

The finished cockpit with some Eduard seat harnesses.

spacer.png

I then fitted the transparencies and masked them off.  Usually I use pieces of Tamiya masking tape but I have not had good results on greenhouse canopies in the past, so I sprung for an Eduard masking set.   The masks went on surisingly quickly.

spacer.png

Ready for main assembly.

spacer.png

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

The disruptive pattern was then oversprayed with Lifecolor UA-501 RLM 70

Lowersurfaces (which are not visible here) are Lifecolor UA-503 RLM 65.  The white tactical markings were sprayed using white plastic car primer from a rattle can.

spacer.png

Decals applied and (most of) the greeblies painted up ready for fitment.  The Geschwader insignia is notable by its absence.  I have been using the nose as a convenient area for handling, so rather than risk damaging the markings they will be added at the last moment.

spacer.png

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...