Lancia LC2 Italeri & 3D

Andreas.R

I always start with the hardest part on really challenging models. That saves a lot of time, because if that doesn't work, all the time and effort beforehand is wasted.

With the Italeri Lancia it's the cockpit. which looks awful!

After the cockpit was finally finished in 3D, I bought the model.

My special thanks to Iceman 29 @Iceman 29 who gave the cockpit the right look with Fusion 360.

spacer.png        spacer.png

I cut off the cockpit roof! It looks good without the "bubble"

The headlights and the air slits above the fender have also to be reshaped.

spacer.png     spacer.png

The new cockpit looks fantastic, I hope that I can do it nearly as well in real terms in 1/24 scale!

spacer.png     spacer.png   spacer.png

spacer.pngspacer.png

I hope that this project will end successfully!

Regards

Andreas

Edited by Andreas.R
missing pic´s
  • Like 14

Thanks Vesa!

But it will be challenging, the vacuforming is essential for my design - i never done it before.

After eliminating (cutting off) the 2 other issues i will start with the vacuforming.

I will report all the attempts,

Regards

Andreas

• Like 2

The few parts fit very badly and have many sink marks. The transparent parts are all, except for the rear lights maybe, so horrible that I threw them in the bin in disgust.

spacer.png                    spacer.png

And another issue: the front air intake!

spacer.png                spacer.png

The 2nd problem area appeared to be the fake vents above the front wheels. Their thickness of the plastic made it impossible to open them up, but they were sanded down

an reshaped!

spacer.png              spacer.png

Thanks for watching!"

Cheers

Andreas

• Like 10

I will print the air vents in 3D, the problem will be to cut out the thick plastic, and get the printed  parts fitted in.

I just did a test as there was nothing to loose. There is also a issue regarding the headlights - the headlight sockets appear

too big (see my cutout) it wont be difficult to correct as I have to print them anyway in 3D. But then the decals would not fit and have to be modified. 

which is hardly possible in this area. You always have to make compromises!

spacer.png

https://themotorsportnut.com/model-kits/italeri-lancia-lc2-completed/

A good built out of the box - there are only a few due to poo-poo model.

It has to be modified!

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

I just found another issue: the front air intake!

spacer.png    spacer.png

and corrected!

spacer.png

I am just working on the front wheel air vents, here a detail photo:

spacer.png

thanks for looking, tips as allway wellcome!

regards

Andreas

• Like 5

9 hours ago, Andreas.R said:

But there is hope to create a good model. Then you can really enjoy this model.

I admire your optimism Andreas.

Do you intend to release all your modifications for sale once you have completed this immense task?

• Like 1

I will trie to build the version of the photos sold by Girardo.

16 hours ago, modelbautony said:

I admire your optimism Andreas.

Do you intend to release all your modifications for sale once you have completed this immense task?

Let us see how the modifications turned out. If well why not?

• 1 month later...

Hello back,

at the weekend I created the parts to be replaced on the computer. The headlights are done, the rear details, oil cooler, gearbox and the jack still need a few details.

I will 3D print the parts and see if they fit. There are always smaller changes from virtual to analogue.

spacer.png  spacer.png

spacer.png           spacer.png

spacer.png         spacer.png and the form for the cockpit vacuform, this must fit perfectly into the cutout!

spacer.png          spacer.png

I hope that the 3D parts fit well! 

Regards

Andreas

Edited by Andreas.R
missing pic´s
  • Like 5

I have printed the aft details, but i have taken the dimms of the original Italeri part.

It was as suspected wrong and did not fit. But i have got the right shape to fit.

There is a big difference between the real thing and the original part!

spacer.png         spacer.png

spacer.png

Now i will print it and see how it fits!

Regards

Andreas

• Like 2

@Andreas.R Do you plan also detailed engine? I have been thinking this in my side. Of course 3D printing is option in this area or maybe making resin copy from 308/328/288 engine block.  Then next thing is engine cover. Italeri is so heavy that it just don't look right. Then maybe vacuforming is option again.

• Thanks 1

Hello Vesa,

I'm glad you think I'm capable of something like that! However keep in mind that there are no plans (only 7 were built).

I have Fujimi's 288 GTO which has almost the same engine.... But you would have to design everything else too, suspension, gearbox, intercooler, tanks etc.

Take a look at the photo. I would need at least 2 years to get that done! And then the rear hood, curved shapes are not my thing. The Italeri form isn't quite right either,

but it's not quite as noticeable as the other errors.  The rest would be about 20% and you would have the whole vehicle in 3D.

Incidentally, in the maritime modelling, entire ships are made using 3D (enclosed the link).

I also have a project there that is nearing completion. I actually only make cars, especially Lancias, on the side if I want something colored.

The reprinted parts all fit very well especially the cockpit looks very good! photos to follow.

Regards

Andreas

• Like 1

• Andreas.R changed the title to Lancia LC2 Italeri & 3D