Inspired by this excellent model from Nick at Telford during SMW, I have decided to have a crack at one myself. Hopefully I will finish with one of the 9 Kestrels used by the Tri-partate testing squadron. I have managed to see and photograph all 9 of the remaining P1127/Kestrels so I have plenty of information to use along with the notes from Nicks build.

IMG_20221113_123104538_HDR

This will be based on the Tamiya GR1 1/48 kit I picked up a few months ago. This is not really suitable for a Harrier as it appears to be a mishmash of Kestrel and Harrier so I can't see it being built for another project.

IMG_20221117_114614664_HDR

Quite a lot of work to do but with some guidance from Nick I'll see if I can finish in the GB.

IMG_20221117_114708269_HDR

There is a fairly crude Pegarus engine included so I might try and use that.

• Like 16

The Kestrel fuselage was narrower than the Harrier so I filled the fusealge sides with Milliput so I can cut away the outside and still have a model. The front nozzles need to be moved forwards a bit so filling the area will Milliput will allow me to drill some new ones.

I've also decided to start the wing from the sparein the Kinetic GR3 kit rather than the one in the Tamiya kit.

The intakes and airbrake housing have also been filled. I found some more Harrier bits and some better wheels in the spares box to update the basic Tamiya kit 

IMG_20221124_213418278

Lots more work to do yet.

• Like 10

I remember buying the Airfix P1127 when it first came out. Crude no doubt but I wish I had kept it! Being slightly better skilled now I might just have managed to refurbish it to something a bit more like the original.

Pete

• Like 1

6 hours ago, PeterB said:

I remember buying the Airfix P1127 when it first came out. Crude no doubt but I wish I had kept it! Being slightly better skilled now I might just have managed to refurbish it to something a bit more like the original.

Pete

Maybe they could rerelease it as a Vintage Classic?  I’d get one, or two.

AW

• Like 1

• Colin W changed the title to Hawker Kestrel FG1A 1/48
17 hours ago, PeterB said:

I remember buying the Airfix P1127 when it first came out

According to Scalemates the original was released in 1963! Unfortunately the days when 'near enough was good enough' for Airfix. You might be better starting with a Harrier.

11 hours ago, Andwil said:

Maybe they could rerelease it as a Vintage Classic?  I’d get one, or two.

It was rereleased in 2000 and there are still a few around.

I changed the topic title to 1/48 as the Airfix 1127 was only 1/72

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Vingtor said:

I think I still have a decal sheet for the tri-partite squadron,

Hi Vingtor, I would be interested if its in 1/48th scale. Unfortunately 1/72 will not scale up with enough resolution.

14 hours ago, Colin W said:

Hi Vingtor, I would be interested if its in 1/48th scale. Unfortunately 1/72 will not scale up with enough resolution.

I have a 1/48 scale sheet available. It had the blue background for the American star-and-bar printed too dark, but correction decals in light blue are included. The price is NOK 150 plus postage (to UK) NOK 48, total NOK 198. Send me a PM if you are interested.

Nils

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Going to follow this one, should be interesting. I have an Airfix 1/48 GR.3 in the stash that's unlikely to beat the Kinetic kit onto the bench as a GR.3 and I've been thinking of turning it into a Kestrel, so will be looking out for some tips and inspiration here.

• 2 months later...

Well I got suck at 3 for this GB. The Hawker Kestrel got this far. I was waiting for our linear belt sander to come back from the repairers but it never transpired so here it is until I think of an alternative method of reducing the sides in a controlled manner.

I've done the intakes and corrected the wing ready to fit once the fuselage is done. I've built most of the undercarriage and modified the nozzles so its well on the way.

I'm side tracked in the Salty Sea Dog GB now as well!

Thanks for the comments above and hopefully it will be done for June when the Harrier SiG will be bringing their big display to IPMS Salisbury Annual Show.

IMG_20230130_200015232
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Colin W said:

..hopefully it will be done for June when the Harrier SiG will be bringing their big display to IPMS Salisbury Annual Show.

That would be ace!

• Like 1