Dear Prudence, Won't You Come Out To Play - KP Supermarine Spitfire PR. Mk.XI "SEAC"

AliGauld

With the paint drying on other stuff I started cutting plastic, applying glue and drilling holes.

QeVOibY.jpg

n3hhsM2.jpg

x7tD1oo.jpg

bMOMwdv.jpg

aIPAVUQ.jpg

OZe3PSP.jpg

kXLmWqA.jpg

That should be it for today as I'm up a 04:15 for an early shift.

Thanks for looking,

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 17

1 minute ago, Learstang said:

Ooh, looks nice! I've been tempted by this kit. Good luck with the build!

Best Regards,

Jason

Thanks Jason,

We'll see how it goes.

My last attempt at a KP kit was one of the IL-2's and it wasn't my best work.

2 minutes ago, alt-92 said:

Frist! rats!

I need that new Norwegian boxing they do of the XI.

So close too.

Hopefully you'll be able to see all the pitfalls I'll create and avoid them.

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 3

I have several KP Spitfires and they all look good to me (I'm sure I've even done work on some, but I have so many half-built Spitfires it's hard to remember for certain). Regarding the Il-2, I'm a bit surprised that gave you trouble as that was based on the Smer (ex-Intech) kit I believe, which is a nice Il-2 kit. At any rate, I hope you have better luck with this Spitfire as this is one I would love to build.

Best Regards,

Jason

Edited by Learstang
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Learstang said:

I have several KP Spitfires and they all look good to me (I'm sure I've even done work on some, but I have so many half-built Spitfires it's hard to remember for certain). Regarding the Il-2, I'm a bit surprised that gave you trouble as that was based on the Smer (ex-Intech) kit I believe, which is a nice Il-2 kit. At any rate, I hope you have better luck with this Spitfire as this is one I would love to build.

Best Regards,

Jason

The Il-2 was down to my lacking skills not anything to do with the kit.

I just wasn't ready to build it but I've left the Field Modification one alone so I can make a better job of it.

22 minutes ago, mark.au said:

And we’re off!  I won’t race you - you’d win - but it’ll be fun to try and keep pace.

Thanks Mark,

I might cross the line before you but would be lacking in your quality.

13 minutes ago, Dunny said:

Alistair,

Will look forward to this one - I have not built one of these kits,

Cheers,

Roger

Thanks Roger,

It'll be a fun little side mission.

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AliGauld said:

A mini unofficial GB with @Winded Penguin and @mark.au.

What's not to like. It's a Spitfire and I get to play with PRU Blue.

So, welcome and Look Around, Round, Round.

VfgvMYq.jpg

BQFISov.jpg

exu9QHC.jpg

BVc1TDU.jpg

2qfRFie.jpg

EOFYrvK.jpg

hBxbEyO.jpg

aitoEWy.jpg

Thanks for looking,

Cheers,

Alistair

This looks like a nice and interesting kit. Great to have fellow PRU builds in play 👍

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Learstang said:

So, the AZ Spitfires are the same as the KP? Then those are the ones I have, the AZ versions, although I do have a KP Soviet Spitfire Mk.Vb.

Regards,

Jason

AZ and KP is "choux vert et vert choux"(in french dans le texte) like before MPM and Special Hobby.

I don't know why ther Tcheck manufacturer do this, pehaps a question of tax?????

Alain

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, 2996 Victor said:

Following! I'll be interested to see how KP Spitfires go together and what's not to love about PRU blue?

Cheers,

Mark 

Thanks Mark,

Nice to have you along for the ride.

6 hours ago, Winded Penguin said:

This looks like a nice and interesting kit. Great to have fellow PRU builds in play 👍

Thanks WP,

See what you've started though. ;)

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 2

12 hours ago, AliGauld said:

aitoEWy.jpg

Decals don't look too bad from the picture. In the ones I have from the same box the light blue is heavily pixelated, a very visible problem, while here they look of a proper "solid" colour. Can you see any pixelation in your sheet ? Wonder if I have some particularly bad luck with AZ/KP decals, the latest kits I've bought from them suffered heavily from this problem

• Like 2

Hope it's not too late for a comment on the cockpit parts: the rear solid bulkhead was only on the pressurized variants (Mk.XI and late XIX), since the PR.XI was not pressurised they retained the standard Mk.IX style cockpit structure, so no need for the rearmost bulkhead

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Giorgio N said:

Decals don't look too bad from the picture. In the ones I have from the same box the light blue is heavily pixelated, a very visible problem, while here they look of a proper "solid" colour. Can you see any pixelation in your sheet ? Wonder if I have some particularly bad luck with AZ/KP decals, the latest kits I've bought from them suffered heavily from this problem

I'm at work just now but will check them under magnification when I get home and let you know. 

31 minutes ago, Giorgio N said:

Hope it's not too late for a comment on the cockpit parts: the rear solid bulkhead was only on the pressurized variants (Mk.XI and late XIX), since the PR.XI was not pressurised they retained the standard Mk.IX style cockpit structure, so no need for the rearmost bulkhead

Thanks very much for the info. 

The version I am attempting to build is a Mk. XI. Was this particular version not pressurised or am I good to put the bulkhead in. 

Edit:

I've just read your info properly and realise that this doesn't need the bulkhead. Apologies for not reading properly and thanks again ror the info

Cheers 

Alistair 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Lovely kit, wish I'd grabbed it when I saw it frankly! The XI in PRU blue has got to be in the running for title of best looking spit. The top scheme I think looks particularly good. Which one are you aiming for?

I had some interior green out yesterday, while tidying up some tempest undercarriage. At the last minute I remembered the PRXIX, so sprayed some randomly in the interior. Of course I didn't quite have enough to finish the job, but I'm going to call that started and so claim that I've finally managed to start a build in the timeframe that it takes you to complete one!

Andy

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AliGauld said:

I'm at work just now but will check them under magnification when I get home and let you know.

Thanks, no rush, just curious. In my decal sheet the pixelation is such that can be immediately seen by the naked eye, if you haven't noticed this problem yet it's likely that your sheet is better printed than mine

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Ngantek said:

Lovely kit, wish I'd grabbed it when I saw it frankly! The XI in PRU blue has got to be in the running for title of best looking spit. The top scheme I think looks particularly good. Which one are you aiming for?

I had some interior green out yesterday, while tidying up some tempest undercarriage. At the last minute I remembered the PRXIX, so sprayed some randomly in the interior. Of course I didn't quite have enough to finish the job, but I'm going to call that started and so claim that I've finally managed to start a build in the timeframe that it takes you to complete one!

Andy

It is a nice looking kit.

I'll be doing the second scheme. The MSG over PRU Blue as I've already done Sandy Gunn's Spit in all over PRU Blue.

Just a bit different.

@Giorgio N was asking about the decals. So here's a magnified pic.

j5I8SRu.jpg

As you can see at high magnification the centre is pixelated but it's not noticeable with the naked eye.

Hope that helps,

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 5

35 minutes ago, AliGauld said:

It is a nice looking kit.

I'll be doing the second scheme. The MSG over PRU Blue

Arrggghhhh! I'm sooooo tempted to get one of these now......

36 minutes ago, AliGauld said:

I've already done Sandy Gunn's Spit in all over PRU Blue.

I'm ashamed to admit I've still got mine in my stash :facepalm: Yours turned out beautifully, as I recall!

All the best,

Mark

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 2996 Victor said:

Arrggghhhh! I'm sooooo tempted to get one of these now......

You must resist, I'm in enough trouble with Mrs. Badge without Mrs. Victor hunting me down as well. :D

1 hour ago, 2996 Victor said:

I'm ashamed to admit I've still got mine in my stash :facepalm: Yours turned out beautifully, as I recall!

You'll get to it when you're good and ready and will make a cracking job of it.

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1