Santa Pod Rod - a spares box raid.

Neddy

Blemishes tackled (as best I can with the quality of the shell), re-primed and resprayed in the single colour.  This went better as I'm getting familiar again with the airbrush and paints...

spacer.png

spacer.png

Now I'll leave it alone for a day or so to harden.

• Like 8

A bit more progress over the weekend.  I had to mesh the grille as the faults in the grille bars (caused by air bubbles at a guess) were beyond fixing, there was nothing for filler to adhere to so I had to disguise it.  A £1.45 nylon tea-strainer generously gave up its mesh for the purpose (an old-school remedy still handy today).  The donor kit provided the headlamp lenses which fitted a treat.

spacer.png

spacer.png

I've finally had to accept the limitations of the bodyshell and called a halt to rectifying the many blemishes as the more work is done the more faults, cavities, air bubbles and layer separation are exposed.  It'll never pass a concours but the challenge was to turn the world's mankiest shell into a viable vehicle and I think I'll end up doing that, so I'll be satisfied with finishing it.  In the words of Will Darnell (from the book "Christine")  Yer cain't polish a 💩!

Last laps now - just the glass to trim and fit, exhausts to finish and some prettying up to be done.  ("Just"?  :think:

Thanks for looking. 

• Like 7

Having gone to the trouble of making and fitting front & rear screens I found it looked a lot more convincing without them so out they came again.  The grille looked better in black, more in keeping with the car's style, thus it was made so.  A few decals were added purely for atmosphere, salvaged from the donor (the only ones that didn't break up as soon as they hit the water - it's a VERY old donor!) and a couple of suitably big-bore tailpipes complete the beast.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

It's not brilliant but bearing in mind what I started with I'm reasonably happy with it and the main thing is that the challenge has been met.

Now to post it in the RFI section.  To those of you who've stayed with it and offered valuable comments, thanks for your interest.  It ain't exactly concours (!) but it was fun.

EDIT:  RFI thread with larger set of pics here...

• Like 6