Bismarck, Miles M.52 and Battle of Hoth

Adm Lord De Univers

1 hour ago, Bobby No Mac said:

I reckon next time I check in you'll have added at least an F1 car, fantasy bust and/or a railway wagon project to keep you occupied :D

Yes, you appear to know me quite well, too well in fact. I am ashamed to show my shelves of doom, but I could add more if needed...I mean its tempting, very tempting.

5 minutes ago, Snafu35 said:

I didnot know this British prototype jet, and as you say it certainly inspired Jerry Anderson!

Thanks Eric, oh yes it certainly seems it inspired T1, but I meant my toddler who runs around arms flailing like a thunderbird puppet running. The M.52 is though a very interesting topic and I ended up spending more on books about it than the kit itself. Probably on sale if interested, I referenced them somewhere on this post.

But, as you say, as I promised and as @ArnoldAmbroseis chomping at the bit for, this is really a build log on the Bismarck. The pe is now in Germany, so buoyed by this good news and with @Jinxman's Sopwith build guiding me in the true way to model.

I always had issue with the block of plastic that is the bridge (here on left):

20221203_114903.jpg?psid=1

Hacked:

20221203_115851.jpg?psid=1

The ship as she stands:

20221203_111512.jpg?psid=1

Hacked:

20221203_114419.jpg?psid=1

All pe removed:

20221203_114254.jpg?psid=1

Bath shot (dont worry I'm not present in them...yet, it's to wash off all that debonder and gunk):

20221203_114713.jpg?psid=1

Right, that was all done before coffee, and nows its bath time, but I think I'll post the next few photos onto a different kind of website.

Lots of tidying up to do now. Then its hull stakes, then water intakes. Help build up the courage to shove an AT-AT foot onto my lovely snow base.

David

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Adm Lord De Univers said:

Right, that was all done before coffee, and nows its bath time, but I think I'll post the next few photos onto a different kind of website.

LOL 🤣

Gidday David, I'm impressed with your hacking. Well done.   And enjoy the bath.      Regards, Jeff.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ArnoldAmbrose said:

LOL 🤣

Gidday David, I'm impressed with your hacking. Well done.   And enjoy the bath.      Regards, Jeff.

I have a theory. Not the dinosaur one. My theory is that ship modellers spent too much of their time in a bath with their builds to post online or do too many builds - it isn't because we're outnumbered by the airplane people or that ships take longer to build. By way of comparison you only have to pick up a plane to play with it, not run a bath first.

Anyway, where was I? Oh yes, "Feuererlaubnis!" 🛀🤽‍♂️💥

David

Edited by Adm Lord De Univers
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, Jinxman said:

If the Bismarck were my build I'd be itching to get some primer on it - it doesn't look like it's far off that stage.

At this rate I'll be down to the keel plates before progress forward begins. But seriously, we're quite a way off primer, I haven't counted them but there are quite a few windows alone to attach first - 150-ish, 200? Best not to count stuff methinks.

David

Ps. I had a wobble earlier and even considered hacking out the bottom to put some led lights in, fortunately that didn't last for too long and normal service resumes.

• Like 2

:angry:

20221203_172032.jpg?psid=1

The lower rung of scuttles, portholes, windows, seeing-holes is on the wrong deck. Sorry for the terrible photo (they've now been puttied, the white blobs). Makes washing the clothes from the ship easy as you could touch the ocean at deep load by sticking your hand out, unfortunately invalidates the armour scheme and makes the rest of the plates look weird.

But, emoji aside, I'm not angry as looking at it over and over made me realise I'd been hasty in buffing out some earlier sanding. The only issue is I'm down to the last of the drill bits in that particular size, so there will be prayers offered to the modelling gods in drilling out a new set.

All rather surprising as the main belt is only a tiny fraction out (less than a mm or two at most, maybe not even that as the inward slope makes it hard to measure (and I'm not famous for my measuring or maths skills - comparing against 1/200 and 1/550 plans for a 1/350 ship)). In either case, it appears they just plain put the lower set 5mm too low (1.75m in real life). They are definitely quite a bit lower than the newer Revell Bismarck offering.

Probably a good place to explain another potential snafu from some detailed examination of the plans. Seems the catapult placement and maindeck walkthrough (amidships - the part you can see through to the other side) might be located a bit iffy too. Twas why I decided to start marking out stakes to place the water inlets as the bilge keel appears to be off compared to the above deck/superstructure.

That will need to await the photoetch to see how and if I need to fix it. Well I know how: putty. But if it is off compared to the rest of the maindeck fixtures and/or has thrown them out, then that'll be a bit of an effort to correct. Most likely, it is minor and I can definitely live with that. I mean, she definitely looks like a Bismarck.

Anyway, there is even more important business afoot. That's right, I need a new build to fill in this brief interlude:

20220203_090139(1).jpg?psid=1

Gorgeous, probably my greatest achievement of this thread so far, just ordered in another 150 blocks as the ceiling is the limit, or rather...goal. Doesn't seem like much but my daughter thinks she's Godzilla and constantly tries to knock them over, so this is quite amazing - if I do say so myself.

David

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

6 minutes ago, Adm Lord De Univers said:

Probably a good place to explain another potential snafu from some detailed examination of the plans.

Yes?
Am I being called?

:penguin:

Regards,

Eric-Snafu35

• Haha 2

Righty-ho, onwards, as mentioned earlier the new cunning plan is to map out strakes (or steaks or stakes, however autocorrect desires) to properly align the water inlets:

20221203_215743.jpg?psid=1

Shall I just continue posting tower constructions? Riveting I'm sure. But just then...inspiration! There's no need to do this, I've already simplified the design by saying all are 7x34.5mm, I can do panelling:

20221203_221516.jpg?psid=1

Got this far before I realised it was messy, I was cheating as they don't actually look like that, and I had a nagging thought. Googled 'tirpitz capsize'. Yup, pretty flat. Removed it all and dwelled momentarily on progressing this when I had to sand parts smooth first anyway:

20221203_230710.jpg?psid=1

Mr Surfacer 500 to the rescue, that will serve as a good base to get those over-eager sanding sessions to polish out - what started with the hull bottom (out of shot) became a haze-induced coating all over, except where I  hhadn't idied a bit first. Has also highlighted gaps etc that require more putty or conversely removal of excess.

In any case, Bissy can rest there for the day as she has a rather intoxicating smell about her not beneficial for considered work. I'm also nearing the point where I need to see the photoetch to determine what else needs 'tweaking' (🔨🪚).

What to do now though?

David

• Like 4

Veneer! Time to polish that wood veneer base:

First up, the ingredients (99. 9 %isopropyl, female lac bug secretion flakes, and empty bottle):

20221203_234422.jpg?psid=1

Mix out 1 pound cut (the flakes got caught in the funnel and I ended up with a 2 pound cut, it's fine but apparently best not to go over 4) 1oz/56.7g of flakes to 8oz/226.8g of alcohol:

20221203_234846.jpg?psid=1

Hopefully my maths is correct, should work out as 1lb flakes in 1gal alcohol (or 2 in my case)...

Et voila:

20221203_235219.jpg?psid=1

Shake every now and again to mix, and tomorrow that will be dissolved enough to begin the polishing process.

David

And now for something completely different:

20221204_003529.jpg?psid=1

The 20mm 1/350 barrels are in and looking most splendid - there's four of them in the cockpit, sorry pilot cabin, tweezers pointing at a spare on the mat. The main wheel struts needed to be shortened (white putty) as they are from a Matchbox Harrier (I believe); this has been strengthened with ca glue. The strut will be shortened further after painting (almost by half).

The below photo is just bits and pieces to be (potentially in some cases) glued on later for interest as I forgot to before when I thought it was ready:

20221204_003627.jpg?psid=1

That's all for tonight. Just realised I need to combine those two wheels to make the front wheel. The large circle is the back of the cockpit, but I need to get a seat in there first.

David

• Like 3

Oh I forgot to say, there weren't enough 37mm barrels to make the supports for the M.52 nose cone, but its pretty much hidden anyway.

Slower modelling day today, but got to play with the Hoth snow base. Turns out I should've read the instructions first. Perhaps actually done a test as well. Making footprints at this stage is not really feasible (needs to be done during curing) and I used the wrong product for what I had in mind anyway (it sort of works in my defence). I actually need to use their insta-snow product to do the footprints with....:dunce:

20221204_101135.jpg?psid=1

20221204_103723.jpg?psid=1

Failed attempt in second photo. Nevertheless I deduced I could scrap off and reuse the current layers of snow (I forgot to take a pic during this part, but I'm sure you can imagine something looking snowy and tiny bits of white everywhere).

So, backwards forwards, but it looks exactly like it did to begin with, only I've taken lots of spare snow from it. This has now received a layer of varnish to seal it all in for the next step: the extracted snow will be used to blend in with the insta-snow product that I want to make footprints with (you'll see what I mean in the next update).

David

• Like 2

Take two, turns out you mix some of their powders (ultra) with the ultra adhesive into a paste. Probably could've done that to start with really...

Anyway, here you go, more photos of white:

20221204_221310.jpg?psid=1

20221204_221321.jpg?psid=1

20221204_221441.jpg?psid=1

You can probably see what I've done, adding this paste onto of the snowy base, but only where I needed footprints or the crash site. Looks a bit iffy now, but hopefully a coating of powder will blend it all together. If not I can create more paste and fill out the rest of the base.

David

• Like 4

The snow effect is even better once dry:

20221205_140743.jpg?psid=1

Hopefully that's close enough that you can see that tiny speckle of sparkle down the bottom middle. It has those at different angles (sparingly) so is quite convincing. In fact, in person, it looks so good that my partner woke me up this morning to show me. Highly recommended product, especially as it's a first go and I'm no whiz at this.

Right, first stage of weathering on the Hoth models, before and after shot of one of the legs:

20221205_140715.jpg?psid=1

Needs tidying, but hopefully making sense now why I painted a shade lighter than how it appears on film. The rest will be done shortly, just waiting for some drying so I can handle some parts without fear of fingerprinting it. There will be more weathering to do after this dirty layer is on.

The Mr Surfacer 500 covered M.52 body:

20221205_152216.jpg?psid=1

Last minute decision to do, to break up washing the Hoth. The nose is bottom right and needs tweaking (pitot is just not stable) a bit first, as do the wheels and struts. This will be sanded, then Mr Surfacer 1500, and then polished, prior to primer and detailing, then painting etc.

The veneer got its first coats of shellac. Before and after:

20221205_154845.jpg?psid=1

And two photos of me trying (unsuccessfully) to show off its shine already after 5 quickly applied coats:

20221205_160058.jpg?psid=1

20221205_160143.jpg?psid=1

I won't be going the whole french polishing route with this as I simply do not have the time nor inclination; however you can still get a good shine just by brush painting and sanding back - heathen as that may sound to some. Also makes guitar necks feel great to play, but you will have to redo the coating every now and again - doesn't really like water or sweat. Really simple to do to properly too, just takes time and some spare cotton, oil and some kind of chalk (I forget exactly-there's videos online). FYI, the bottle of shellac has barely been used, could easily get 100 coats out of it, if not more.

That's all for now as the house is starting to smell and needs time to air before Godzilla comes home.

David

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Adm Lord De Univers said:

Still awaiting the rest of the pe...appears to be visiting different German cities...glückspilz.

I think the pe will have a lot to tell you when it finally arrives! :giggle:
...Unless the postman decides to bring it to you only on Christmas day: here, gift for you! :gift: :D

The mat should keep you busy. Are you going to glue or solder the brass?

Regards,

Eric-Snafu35

• Like 1

Busy lunchtime,  base just awaits tidying:

20221207_123735.jpg?psid=1

This shot gives a better view as to what it'll look like (have to imagine the veneer inbetween, dio obv in middle):

20221207_123834.jpg?psid=1

The M.52 has had another layer of Mr Surfacer 500, whilst its front wheel has been combined, with some sanding on the rear struts (rear wheels need work still), and tidying up of the cone pitot:

20221207_143243.jpg?psid=1

But the best news?

20221207_144111.jpg?psid=1

Photoetch German vacation complete. Those eagle-eyed among you will notice there are two complete Bismarck sets here (towards the front) and another Tirpitz set (four sheets at rear, left). This is additional to the pe posted earlier. This is because I have two 1/350 Bismarcks, however I intend to mix and match as there is no dedicated set for the Academy and it is particularly lacking in detail. The Tirpitz one contains the decking I wanted (will need modification), but will also make up the shortfall for those parts taken from this haul for the other Bismarck. Worked out as cheaper than buying bits of them (although I will have leftover now).

David

• Like 4

16 hours ago, Adm Lord De Univers said:

Whilst the plaque designs have been done and are being sent out for quotes and proofs (brass with black lettering preferably, might be something added at a later date)

Hello David,

And you want us to help you choose?
I'm backing out because my wife says that I have strange taste... 😆

Congratulations on receiving the photo etched parts. All that's left to do is!  👷‍♂️

Regards,

Eric-Snafu35

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Snafu35 said:

And you want us to help you choose?
I'm backing out because my wife says that I have strange taste... 😆

Happy for any and all input (especially from those with strange tastes)!

37 minutes ago, Snafu35 said:

Congratulations on receiving the photo etched parts. All that's left to do is!  👷‍♂️

No excuses now not to get this done now I suppose....

David

• Like 1

Right, almost done weathering on the Hoth pieces, here's the AT-AT crushing the M.52 (which itself had its first Mr Surfacer 1200 in this photo, now on two coats and ready for a final polish before primer):

20221208_145902.jpg?psid=1

AT-AT weathering still needs tidying, well removing some of it,  but importantly it remains fully playable - I mean movable, yes movable - and comes with it's own lasers:

20221208_145927.jpg?psid=1

Pew pew indeed. Only problem? In my haste to play with it (we might as well dispense with the lies at this point), I forgot to insert the pilots, drivers, whatever, in the cockpit and now can't get the head off! You can't see them, so er, not really an issue; so they might get added to a B-1 on the shelf of doom instead...regardless, once tidied and sealed, it'll get a dousing of snowfall and is then complete. The snowfall will also be used to strategically hide over-eager weathering...:penguin:🤫

Next up? The veneer's first coating of shellac was sanded back to create a flat surface, then the first true coats to build up the shine were applied:

20221209_164240.jpg?psid=1

It's hard to show off that shine, but here's some more shots for your enjoyment:

20221209_164254.jpg?psid=1

20221209_164304%201.jpg?psid=1

Still got quite a few layers to go, carefully polishing/sanding between coatings as we go to ensure it is smooth (above is prior to sanding). Once done it should be quite reflective. In fact, when fully done and dry it will be close to the above photos (still quite tacky)...hopefully...

Tonight will be continuing to mark out the Bismarck hull plates and prepping it for the pe. This will be broken up by adding pe to turrets and boats.

David

• Like 1

Well tonight's session was interrupted by a long game of football, so instead it's been sanding the M.52 to a smoooooth finish and applying more layers to the veneer:

20221209_233624.jpg?psid=1

And because my camera shows the walnut as a light mahogany colour, here is one with the flash on that is much closer to the real life shade:

20221209_233642%201.jpg?psid=1

Only it's less red, hmm... In either case, you can see the bottle of shellac has barely gone down so there are many more layers to come. I'll save photos on that for a bit until it's closer to the finished article.

David

• Like 5

Needed something to do after last night's game of football...hammer time:

20221211_001119.jpg?psid=1

Unfortunately interrupted by a rather unwell young lady (nasty cough and by midnight wanted to join in on this melee), although probably for the best as I was rather chisel, knife and sander happy.

The second breakwater has been removed this morning as well as some more sanding, before being hosed down in the bath to tidy up. "I'm just hosing down Bismarck dear" bringing some merriment to proceedings. Importantly, and hard to tell amongst the above carnage, is that deck overhangs (for secondary batteries) have been removed and holes drilled in the funnel, otherwise just more tidying up really.

This will need polishing out, particularly, or rather glaringly, on the hull as I removed the boot-topping markings (sic raised panel lines) and as I want to finish marking plates and openings. I've been toying with the idea to amend the propellers/shafts/etc and decided that it was not something I could live with so that will likely be next as well.

After that it's the deck detail that will get a review (read 🔨:wicked::fight:) as I think there is some misplacement - but will need checking against the wood deck veneer.

David

forgot the funnel
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Adm Lord De Univers said:

Needed something to do after last night's game of football...hammer time:

Hello, David.

I guess that you needed to let off steam after the French football team's victory, right?😂

But this boat didnot do anything to you! (well, it did. A long time ago...)

1 hour ago, Adm Lord De Univers said:

After that it's the deck detail that will get a review (read 🔨:wicked::fight:) as I think there is some misplacement - but will need checking against the wood deck veneer.

Aaaah, manual work: scraper and bulldozer...🧑‍🔧

Model making changes a man! :rofl2:

In any case, that is quite a lot of work that you are doing here.  👍
This group build is a blessing to k*** your a*** (I know, because that is why I am participating too!)

This "refit" must be completed in less than three months, Sir! 

Regards,

Eric-Snafu35

• Haha 1