What would HMQ do? One is not amused - DNF

Mjwomack

At the beginning of the year, this GB wasn't in anyone's calendar; even after it started it was really in mine. But as we all know you must never leave the LHS empty handed (use it or loose it), so this was my entry..

Events overtook me (and her), but with a right royal shake down and dust off it should be completed.

Edited by Mjwomack
It's a fail from me
  • Like 3

The wings are now on 

PXL-20221124-145003728-MP.jpg

Some packing required, also had to shave a lot off the centre spar as it was way too think and split (splat, splitted?!) the wings

A bit of headscratching while I try to remember what I was planning on doing and why that bit was left like that; suspect a lot of us have to do that 

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...

Disappointingly nothing to show on this. A boring amount of filling and sanding. Alongside a lot of head scratching about how the engine intakes are meant to go. The instructions make no sense at all, so I hacked at the mountings a bit to get the nacelles on, and now I can't see how the intakes can possibly sit right, so they're next for the sharp knife of persuasion.

It would probably help if I actually knew something of the aircraft, though the more images I google, the more I decide it was a moderately ugly offering! Too squat by half, well at least a quarter too short

Maybe progress with posting soon.

Can a plane go backwards? This one is!

After a lot of flicking through the instructions and wondering when the engine exhausts went on I realised that the engine nacelles were upside down; there's a lot to be said in favour of keyed locating lugs. Or with this kit any locating lugs at all 🫣

I can imagine that one would not be amused 

• Haha 3

• 3 weeks later...

Somehow I doubt if the queen was a listener of post-punk music but if the had I think she'd be inclined to say, 'Orange Juice- rip it up and start again'

PXL-20221231-193529466-MP.jpg 

I've given up trying to get everything to fit around the intakes and look plausible (that's all I ask), so dismantled everything, fitted the intakes and will now try to get the nacelles to fit around them- surgery involved for all.

Equally she was more of a gee-gee lady than a footie type or she'd be shouting, 'you don't know what you're doing', to which I can offer no defence except diminished responsibility. But it all seemed a good idea at the time, but it would certainly help if I knew more about the original type and had some modelling skill. Hopefully the gaping chasm is more plausible now...

PXL-20221231-195014125.jpg 

Increasingly eager to press on to completion, because as you can see from my signature block I've got my mind of other GBs right now!

• Like 3

Thanks @Grandboof, your success with the F-rsn has inspired me.

I think my mistake here was to follow the instructions🤨. I was trying to get the intakes to fit round the nacelles, it was only when I literally ripped it apart and fitted the intakes first that I realised that the cut-outs on the nacelles are too small for them and needed enlarging that I started to make progress and I'm a lot more optimistic with it.

I'll be doing my own decals for the correct serial number so while I'm about it I can redo the HMS Hotspur pendant numbers for that build ready

• Like 2

Wanting a change from nacelle wrangling I thought what can be more relaxing than painting propellors? Valom would have these as black blades with a light grey spinner. Curious I thought, coot change for the tips- not that I imagine Queenie went up the business end too often but I don't suppose she'd appreciate an urk getting an excessive short back and sides while distracted.

So, it was down the rabbit hole that we all know and love as Google.

In all the photos I could find, only one had darker, but not black blades and a white tip. But the vast majority show it as as highly polished as the airframe. I guess the good news is that the props are all but painted because they'll be with the same Mazda Chrome from the local car accessories shop as the rest of the plane.

Now, back to nacelle wrangling (that's the bad news)

• Like 1

In Bambi, Thumper's mum drilled into him that if you can't say anything nice then don't say anything at all; which is why I've been a but quiet about this model of late.

So, hypothetically

I could cope with a kit with a lack of locating pins or marks if the instructions were half decent for figuring out what went where, or the paint chart drawing matched the kit mouldings.

Now, back to the task in hand, hoping to finish masking tonight and wave the rattle can sometime tomorrow

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

It's come to quite a state when even your KUTA isn't on page 1 anymore!

It is possible for an inanimate object to hate you? Discuss!! If it is, the feeling is certainly mutual.

Made it as far as the paintshop only for the rattle can to cough and splutter towards exhaustion. Result is a horrible mess all over the nose. When it's warm enough to go back to the shed, I'll sand it off and try with what left.

So, rather two steps forward, one back at the moment.

But, to keep Thumper's mum happy, I WILL say something nice...

Discovered MIG ULTRA glue for P/E and it's wonderful stuff. Very timely discovery given how much P/E my ship build have in them.

• Sad 1

• 5 weeks later...

I often think, well it'll look better when the masking tape comes off; sometimes it does. This time it's clear what an absolute dog (not corgi) this has turned into.

It's off to the Tower with it. Or at least back onto the Shelf of Doom while I like my wounds and ponder what next... Maybe leave it until the next Platinum Jubilee GB?

Thanks to everyone for encouragement and following along, but it just wasn't to be.

• Sad 1

• Mjwomack changed the title to What would HMQ do? One is not amused - DNF