Takom Focke-Achgelis Fa. 330

Martian

A little while back I promised members something a bit bonkers (A bonkers Martian build? Surely not!). Recently Takom, they should be paying me commission by now, released the Focke-Achgelis Fa.330 U-Boat kite in 1/16 scale. I am fascinated by the subject and have already built it in 1/48 and 1/32 scales, I have the full servicing manual on the type and plenty of reference photos and the real life subject is definitely bonkers. :banghead: What's not to like?. I have never tried anything in this scale before but intend to super detail the living daylights out of the kit. It should also provide the perfect antidote to fiddling about with 1/720 scale Zeppelins. For those following my Zeppelin thread, there is no need to worry as it will be business as normal there and the tutorial on how to build an easier and better Zeppelin than that provided in the Takom kits will go ahead as planned. thanks for looking.

Martian 👽

001.jpg

002.jpg

• Like 14

5 hours ago, Martian said:

A little while back I promised members something a bit bonkers (A bonkers Martian build? Surely not!). 

001.jpg

Yes it's Bonkers, but it's Martian Bonkers. There's a difference. but don't call him Shirley.. My question though is....  if you sprinkle this with water will it grow up to be a real Helicopter? Inquiring minds gotsta know. You know?

• Haha 2

20 minutes ago, alt-92 said:

Wonder if it'll fit a radome.  
We could market it as a cheaper alternative to Crowsnest.

/runs

Well, the concept wasn't that far removed.

Martian 👽

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LorenSharp said:

The pilot will then get a quick lesson on waterskiing.

I hope he has bought his water-ski pass first!

Captain Ahab (aka Martian) 👽

• Haha 2

15 minutes ago, Martian said:

I hope he has bought his water-ski pass first!

Captain Ahab (aka Martian) 👽

Boy I thought he was strict when caught chewing gum in line and not having enough for everyone. Woo!

• Haha 2

Thanks Guys. I woke up with one of your evil Earth head colds this morning but I will try and at least make a start today.

Bartian bon Bunged Bup 👽

• Sad 1

Just a quickie, I did get a small start made but really have let some parts of the main airframe set properly before I can really get into stuff that will be of any interest here. I also need  out a way of drilling a load of 0.3mm hole at an angle without breaking all the 0.3mm drill bits I have. All will become clear in the next update. have also managed to source a 1/16 scale U-Boat commander figure to go with the model so now I will have to learn how to paint large scale figures. Why do I  keep making life difficult for myself?(Quiet in the Naughty Corner!)

Martian 👽

13 minutes ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Permission to just smirk quietly, Captain Mainwaring?

You lot will do that anyway!

Martian 👽

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Martian said:

Just a quickie, I did get a small start made but really have let some parts of the main airframe set properly before I can really get into stuff that will be of any interest here. I also need  out a way of drilling a load of 0.3mm hole at an angle without breaking all the 0.3mm drill bits I have. All will become clear in the next update. have also managed to source a 1/16 scale U-Boat commander figure to go with the model so now I will have to learn how to paint large scale figures. Why do I  keep making life difficult for myself?(Quiet in the Naughty Corner!)

Martian 👽

Because it tasks you. And you shall have it!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Martian said:

I also need  out a way of drilling a load of 0.3mm hole at an angle without breaking all the 0.3mm drill bits I have

Try using a 30g hypodermic needle. Score with a new sharp blade just below the luer lock bit of the needle and carefully snap off the needle part while holding with a small pair of pliers - don't squeeze too hard. 

A 30g hypodermic needle is right around 0.3mm OD and the shape of acutely angled tip will cut a nice round hole right where you place the sharp pointy bit. Ask your friendly doctor or dentist office or pharmacy or you will also find on Amazon.  Hold in your pin vise leaving only enough showing plus a bit to drill your hole. Often made from stainless steel and are not hard like a drill bit so they will bend rather than break when too much pressure is used. 

cheers, Graham

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Despite having a good dose of lurgy, I have managed to get things to the point where I have something worth putting some pictures up..

I decided that it would be easier in the end to completely replace the clamps for the cabling on the fuselage and rotor pylon with scratch built items, so the kit items were very carefully carved away. Next, experience has taught me that the best course of action with building this subject is to get the basic fuselage structure together as soon as possible in order to add strength to the pylon to fuselage joint as, even in this scale, it is rather weak and this leads me to a couple of heads up.

Firstly, the parts for the side structure of the fuselage are very flimsy off of the model and any attempt to clean them up off of the model is very likely to result in damage to them. It is far better to do the clean up when the parts are in situ as they then form quite a strong structure. To make the assembly even stronger, I deepened the locating dimples on the fuselage boom with a suitably sized drill bit. Past builds of the subject have taught me structure aft of the rotor pylon is still very flexible and still prone to damage. I have a fix for this.

In the accompanying pictures you will notice that I have added an extra piece of plastic rod to add rigidity to the assembly in this area. this does make for a strong assembly and when everything is fully cured, now is the time to go in and do a good clean up of all the parts added. One can either remove the bar just before painting or it one wants to keep this area of the model nice and strong, one can leave it in situ and imagine that it was something that was fitted to or removed  from the machine when it was erected or dis-assembled. It does not lookout of place. I may go for the latter course of action as my model will be getting transported to and from shows quite a bit. I will see how I feel nearer the time.

Thanks for looking.

Martian 👽

003-2.jpg

004-2.jpg

005-2.jpg

006.jpg

• Like 14

34 minutes ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Nice update. It's a lovely piece of design to get the required strength, yet remain lightweight. Your addition doesn't look out of place at all..

Get well soon!

Thanks Pete, the lurgy showed the first signs of going away today so hopefully I can get a bit more done tomorrow. trouble is that this thing leaves me wanting to sleep until my name changes to Rip van Martian, the bug that is.

Convalescent of Mars 👽

• Haha 1