Cromwell Mk VII Korean War

Mike N

Hi folks,

I'm looking to model the Cromwell Mk VII on this Star Decals sheet in 1/35. I don't normally do AFVs so I'm looking for some guidance on how best to go about this.

From what I can gather from the web, the Mk VII was essentially a Mk IV with extra armour, 15.5" wide tracks (although not certain this applies to all Mk VII?), and some gearbox changes.

My choice of kits appears to be either Tamiya and Airfix, both offering Mk IV and VI variants. Is one or the other better as a starting point for this project? Is there any indication from the sprues that a Mk VII might be released later?

Accurate Armour set C047 includes extra armour - is this the full extent of the modifications required to the hull and turret? They also do some alternative hull top parts, not sure if these would also be required?

I see AA also do a set of 15.5" tracks. The fact that new sprockets are included suggests they are wider than the tracks provided in the Tamiya kit. Are the Airfix tracks also the narrower type?

Comments appreciated!

Mike 

The extra armour is unique to the Mk V(w) version (w = welded), of which only a relatively small number were built (100-ish?) and I don't believe any of these were deployed to Korea.

Similarly, the turret stowage bins are unique to Cromwells with a Type F hull (look at AA's C049 conversion). They replaced the capacity lost when the stowage bin on the fender beside the driver was removed to allow the fitting of a revised 'swing door' hatch for the driver (mirror image of the hull gunner's hatch). Some of these were definitely sent to Korea.

The Airfix and Tamiya kits have a Type C hull which is rare in relation to in-service vehicles. Both have the earlier, narrow track but as you comment, I don't think all the Cromwells in Koreas had been upgraded to the wider track. It's fairly easy to modify the engine deck to represent later hatch arrangements with a bit of line filling and re-scoring of hatch edges.

There were very few Cromwells in Korea. They were only used by the Recce Troop of King's Royal Irish Hussar (KRIH) who were otherwise equipped with Centurions and by Royal Artillery units as AOP vehiclesand Command vehicles. It's unclear whether subsequent deployments by other Centurion units operated Cromwells in any capacity.

Similarly, it's unclear whether the RA Batteries deployed after the first 12 months used Cromwell in any form. Contemporary photos suggest that the RA tanks deployed in 1950/51 were a mix of hull types. Some had dummy main guns, whilst others may have had real guns.

There was only ever one Armoured Regt at a time deployed to Korea with Commonwealth forces. Each Regt served a 12 month stint before being replaced - initially KRIH, replaced by the 'Skins' (Royal Inniskilling Dragoon Guards). then 1 RTR and finally 5 RTR. In addition there was a Squadron of tanks from another Regt deployed on 12 month rotations - initially Churchills from C Sqn, 7 RTR were deployed but after that, the Armoured Sqn was provided by the Canadians -  Lord Strathcona's Horse operated US-supplied M4A3EB8 Shermans (C Sqn, replaced by B Sqn and then A Sqn).

• Like 1

The Airfix kit wheels have the wrong number of bolts, which will cost you about +50% of the kit price to correct with resin replacements. Their link and length tracks, on the other hand, are IMO much better than the Tamiya vinyl. The AA tracks are straight resin strips which you need to bend to shape and cut to length to fit. Which can be tedious. I would go for Masterclub metal links, but you're talking another £30 or so. Not sure if they do both widths. The Hobbyboss non workable plastic indy links are frustrating to say the least with lots of sprue gate cleanup.

But as the post above says, making a Korean war Cromwell is quite a lot more complicated than at first appears.

• Like 1

When I built my Mk.Vllw a few years ago, I used SKP's 15.5 inch tracks. I think that they are still available, BUT.....bear in mind that they are a RRPITA to assemble, and once assembled and laid flat, they form a curve ie; they are not straight.

John.

• Like 1

Thought I had a photo of 'Huth' somewhere. It's not the largest of images.

It's a Type F hull and has 15.5 inch tracks. Note the Normandy Cowl over the rear vents as well. Pretty sure it is an upgraded (Mk VII) vehicle so although not obvious in the small image, it should have towing cable stowage on the glacis as per the large photo below (the curved rails outside the headlamp guards). The cables were stowed in a figure of 8 configuration.

I'm going offer a sacreligious suggestion for the tracks, but bear with me on this. Check out the many Panzer III/IV track sets available and particularly the '400mm' types (original Panzer IIIs used 360mm tracks) without ice cleats. The tracks are very similar (not absolutely identical) to the 15.5 inch tracks used on Cromwells - and within a mm to the correct scale width. You may need to bodge the teeth on the drive sprocket because the pitch (the  distance from front to rear of each link) is slightly different. I've done this on a 1/48 Charioteer so I know it's feasible.

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 1

If you have a look at this thread which I posted a few year ago, you'll see how I tackled the subject, although mine had a different hatch. Much of it would be the same though. It may prove useful to you.

John.

• Like 1

On 11/20/2022 at 1:06 PM, Kingsman said:

But as the post above says, making a Korean war Cromwell is quite a lot more complicated than at first appears.

I suspected as much!

On 11/21/2022 at 10:09 PM, Bullbasket said:

If you have a look at this thread which I posted a few year ago, you'll see how I tackled the subject, although mine had a different hatch. Much of it would be the same though. It may prove useful to you.

John.

John - I take my hat off to you sir, that's a masterclass of modelling there.

Thanks to all who replied. I think the upshot is that this is another of those projects that is a lot harder than I had hoped!

Cheers,

Mike